School Hazing

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
So, in the early 2000s, my senior year we never did anything like this on the football team. In fact, we did zero hazing at all. I think if somebody had said "hey man, we're gonna get him, let's to shove our fingers up his ***!" the person that suggested it would have been absolutely ridiculed. And that's not because we were good guys. It's because it's a ******* stupid idea.

This. I think we would have whooped the *** or ***** of anyone who had suggested something as stupid as this.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Unfortunately, the media has taken this from kids being ******* stupid to blaming my alma-mater for the kid's actions. This is an isolated incident. We always had the normal freshman rituals that were nothing but funny and eventually made the freshman feel apart of the team. It is a small community and everyone knows everyone, if something like his had been happening over the last twenty years no one has ever said anything. These three jackwads deserve to be taken out of school, which they were, and it sounds as if charges we pressed against them for two simple misdemeanors.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
I think "hazing" is often times harmless and in good fun. Making freshman jump in puddles or such things.

This is NOT hazing. Not sure how they could claim that.

Like the "hazing" story were the cross country team was running nude. I didn't see a big deal in that situation.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm gonna assume they checked his oil.

This used to happen in my high school. Very very wrong.

I was confused when I first read the article.

Checking the oil and gooching have been around for a long time. I've just always heard/experienced it with clothes on. If that's so I'd say it's something getting blown out of proportion yet again.

I assume they mean they physically took their pants up and actually stuck a finger up there (actual penetration)? If so that is really ****ed up, kids these days.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Freshmen need to learn their place... taught lessons. What is the big deal here? We want kids thrown around, learn how to respect elders.... this shouldn't even been illegal.

jimlad

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Its so weird. When I was in school in the early 90's. We would never want anyone to find out we "assaulted someone with our finger". Let alone another guy. Not that it's right to do with a girl either. Just saying it's weird that the guys doing it actually wanted to assault someone in that way. In the Marines we had a ton of hazing. None of it included sexual in nature. It was always do to promotions and such or if a guy wasn't carrying his weight. No they were not called Code Reds btw.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Sadly reviving this thread.

What is it with wrestling and hazing?
In my experience, a not insignificant minority of wrestlers are insane. They get so psyched up its like they're on meth, and pushing themselves past physical and mental limits in order to succeed. I am sure you can all think of a few that definitely seem to have a screw loose.

Giving 120% in basketball means shooting FTs for an extra hour and trying to take 5 charges per game.
Giving 120% in wrestling means running sprints in 5 layers of sweats until you throw up and/or pass out.

As far as hazing... there's ways to do silly/dumb/fun things that make everyone feel more comfortable together, like part of the team. Think about stupid icebreakers at teambuilding meetings at work - they're dumb, but they usually do help people get to know each other better. How that morphs into violence and lewdness is beyond me, but often it does. And I don't think it is that fine of a line, really.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
In my experience, a not insignificant minority of wrestlers are insane. They get so psyched up its like they're on meth, and pushing themselves past physical and mental limits in order to succeed. I am sure you can all think of a few that definitely seem to have a screw loose.

Giving 120% in basketball means shooting FTs for an extra hour and trying to take 5 charges per game.
Giving 120% in wrestling means running sprints in 5 layers of sweats until you throw up and/or pass out.

As far as hazing... there's ways to do silly/dumb/fun things that make everyone feel more comfortable together, like part of the team. Think about stupid icebreakers at teambuilding meetings at work - they're dumb, but they usually do help people get to know each other better. How that morphs into violence and lewdness is beyond me, but often it does. And I don't think it is that fine of a line, really.
wrestlers (especially the good ones) are down right bat sh*t crazy. but i think you need to be in order to be that good. and im mainly talking college here

i doubt these kids are anywhere near good.