school uniforms

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Khakis, polos to be uniform fashion at 2 Des Moines middle schools | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Love it. Wish it were more than just 2 schools though.

One tool parent says "They are trying to take away kids' rights and have an excuse for why the kids aren't as successful as kids in other schools."

"kids' rights"....really? THEY'RE KIDS. I sound old saying this--kids never dressed in my day the way they do now. I'm shocked at what I see at the mall or if I drive by a school. Thug looking fools, girls who look like hookers.....I think school uniforms are a good idea. School should be about learning, not about social networking. I wish when I was younger my parents and my school would have forced me to pay more attention to my studies and less attention on the things that just do not matter.

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
Now if we can just get the schools to require red I State polos we'd really have something.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Khakis, polos to be uniform fashion at 2 Des Moines middle schools | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

One tool parent says "They are trying to take away kids' rights and have an excuse for why the kids aren't as successful as kids in other schools."

"kids' rights"....really? THEY'RE KIDS. I sound old saying this--kids never dressed in my day the way they do now. I'm shocked at what I see at the mall or if I drive by a school. Thug looking fools, girls who look like hookers.....I think school uniforms are a good idea. School should be about learning, not about social networking. I wish when I was younger my parents and my school would have forced me to pay more attention to my studies and less attention on the things that just do not matter.
I think every older generation has had the same feelings towards the younger generation's dress that you do. Those damn kids with their hula hoops, pac man video games, and zima.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Oh man, all the high school kids on here are going to be after you.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I think every older generation has had the same feelings towards the younger generation's dress that you do. Those damn kids with their hula hoops, pac man video games, and zima.

I know they do, and that's what makes it hard to say outloud. But really, I'm only 35......and I'm just amazed at how kids dress these days..the girls especially.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

I somewhat agree with this but what the girls wear these days is just ridiculous. Dressing weird is one thing, not covering body parts is another. Young boys don't need any more temptation.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It's funny, there was talk about going to this back when I was in 8th grade I want to say and there was this big uproar from the students. About 10 years later I don't really see what the big deal would have been.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I somewhat agree with this but what the girls wear these days is just ridiculous. Dressing weird is one thing, not covering body parts is another. Young boys don't need any more temptation.

this. I wore tight rolled jeans. Girls teased their hair to the moon. We all wore stupid ugly Billy Cosby type sweaters.

Today, girls barely cover their nipples and guys can't walk normal because 3/4 of their *** crack will show. Not the same thing.

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston

Or their fathers, their teachers, etc.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I can speak from experience here as I went to Hiatt & East HS, but this is long overdue. The new principal at Hiatt is a breath of fresh air in the DMPS. He made his position well-known the day he arrived at that school, and he hasn't budged since, despite parent/teacher criticism stating he has "unrealistic expectations". Is it unrealistic to expect kids to behave and to study and dress properly? No. Hiatt's test scores are still below par, but they have improved steadily since he arrived and discipline issues have dropped dramatically.

When I attended Hiatt, it was virtually impossible to go a single period without having one of my fellow classmates sent to the office for one reason or another. Also, I don't think I ever went a week at that school without seeing a fight of some kind. I knew a lot of my classmates came from low income or broken families and I didn't realize until I was older that some of these kids just didn't have any support structure whatsoever.

I certainly hope that Hiatt and Harding can get things turned around, as there are a lot of great kids that come out of these two schools, but there are still more that need an extra push.

Reactions: Cyclonestate78

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
School uniforms were great. Never had to worry about what to wear. Simply and easy and never had to worry about ruining "goin out" clothes.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Count me at one FOR a school dress code (doesn't necessarily have to be uniforms, but certainly a dress code) as well as year 'round school.

When I was in school, the school had no AC, but we could not wear shorts and girls could not wear above the knee skirts/dresses. Tank tops were a no no as well. This was in the 80s.

Now kids wear whatever they want (including hats in classrooms), chew gum, text on their phone, etc. etc.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Count me at one FOR a school dress code (doesn't necessarily have to be uniforms, but certainly a dress code) as well as year 'round school.

When I was in school, the school had no AC, but we could not wear shorts and girls could not wear above the knee skirts/dresses. Tank tops were a no no as well. This was in the 80s.

Now kids wear whatever they want (including hats in classrooms), chew gum, text on their phone, etc. etc.

Dress codes don't work. I work downtown in a large office building. We have a dress code and we're adults. I'm shocked at the number of Crocs I still see....the flip flops, the boob shirts, the jeans with holes by the crotch.....

you put a dress code in school(I'm sure they already have them) and it won't be enforced enough to work, and will only be enforced until the first time somebody plays the race card.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron