Schroll Taking leave of absence.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Definitely concerned about this. One coud make the assumption it has to do with fennelly's in your face coaching. But we just dont know. Coud be for a number of resins and I'm sure we will hear something. Just hope she comes back. Losing a starter at this time is bad karma. Could have a negative effect on the psyche of the team. Definitely impacts defense and depth.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Definitely concerned about this. One coud make the assumption it has to do with fennelly's in your face coaching. But we just dont know. Coud be for a number of resins and I'm sure we will hear something. Just hope she comes back. Losing a starter at this time is bad karma. Could have a negative effect on the psyche of the team. Definitely impacts defense and depth.

I just posted in another thread that it looked like some of the players (Mays) just did not want to be there...I hope there is nothing brewing.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I just posted in another thread that it looked like some of the players (Mays) just did not want to be there...I hope there is nothing brewing.
The bad thing is, she needed to be red-shirted. We are heavy in the post, but with Anna, Z, Pop and Fallon all being sick/injured we can't afford to use the red shirt.

pjzm

Dec 31, 2011
If you had Coach Fennelly in your face and making you cry in front of 7,000 people the other night like he did to Jessica, I think I may have considered leaving the team. I pray that she doesn't. She is a player that this team needs. She is a good rebounded and can be a strong presence under the basket for us!!!

I was so embarassed that our coach did what he did. I keep hoping that maybe it is the radiation treatments but I know he has done this before to other players. It just isn't right!

Reactions: je4cy23
C

CyBer

If you had Coach Fennelly in your face and making you cry in front of 7,000 people the other night like he did to Jessica, I think I may have considered leaving the team. I pray that she doesn't. She is a player that this team needs. She is a good rebounded and can be a strong presence under the basket for us!!!

I was so embarassed that our coach did what he did. I keep hoping that maybe it is the radiation treatments but I know he has done this before to other players. It just isn't right!

Tough love, anyone have a video of this?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

I was there. It wasn't tough love. It was an out-of-control rage.

How coincidental that these two posts have one post to their name, and it's in this thread.....

Must be family members.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Fen has been doing this for years. Wouldn't surprise me if he rubbed somebody the wrong way at some point. Her choice, but she won't play for a fanbase that cares as much as this one if she leaves.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
Tough love, anyone have a video of this?

TOUGH LOVE, MY ***. Bill Fennelly needs to quit his coaching style of always in your face while publicly stating I'M JUST TRYING TO MAKE YOU A BETTER PLAYER...IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL. BULLCRAP, HE FINALLY IS STARTING TO GO OVER THAT LINE.

I LIKE BILL but his coaching style is wrong. Bobby Knigtht and Woody Hayes style coaching is DEAD. If you were at both the past Thursday and Friday nite games, you would have noticed a dramatic change in his demeanor when talking to the players DURING THE GAMES.

ATTRIBUTE THAT CHANGE TO THE FALLOUT OF THIS CURRENT SITUATION. I AM NO LONGER ON HIS SIDE ON HIS TREATMENT OF PLAYERS.

Perhaps his cancer treatments have further shortened his fuse, but having watched how he treated the players on Thursday nite, he needs a timeout. In the past, watching from the South sections, where you can see his every facial expresssion, the people in the North sections just see his back' MOST OF YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HIS FACIAL EXPRESSIONS HAVE BEEN LIKE IN THE PAST.....He was actually looking like he wanted to physically KILL any or all of the players who he didn't feel were playing like he wanted on this past Thursday nite. I AM NOT EXAGERATING ONE BIT. I've heard the past reports from fans who sit directly behind the bench as to how he talks to the players during games and I believe their reports. Fans around us have discussed how we have seen how he has acted with the players in games and laughed about BILL IS ON THE ROLL TONIGHT WITH HIS PLAYERS and dismissed it as his record speaks for itself.

For years we have watched his sideline behavior escalate to the point of this last Thursday nite, then on Friday, he was much subdued. Wonder why? Ask the players who transfered out, Jessica Schroll or any of the former players who would be honest in their description of his behavior during practices.

Again I like Bill Fennelly and respect his record at ISU, but tearing down a player to build them up doesn't work with all players. I think FRED knows that, but BILL has not changed with the times.

CHALLENGING A PLAYER TO BE A BETTER PLAYER IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN BERATING A PLAYER TO BE BETTER.

IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE IN COACHING STYLE
OR ULTIMATELY BILL HIMSELF RESIGNING.

Last edited:
Reactions: je4cy23

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
TOUGH LOVE, MY ***. Bill Fennelly needs to quit his coaching style of always in your face while publicly stating I'M JUST TRYING TO MAKE YOU A BETTER PLAYER...IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL. BULLCRAP, HE FINALLY IS STARTING TO GO OVER THAT LINE.

I LIKE BILL but his coaching style is wrong. Bobby Knigtht and Woody Hayes style coaching is DEAD. If you were at both the past Thursday and Friday nite games, you would have noticed a dramatic change in his demeanor when talking to the players DURING THE GAMES.

ATTRIBUTE THAT CHANGE TO THE FALLOUT OF THIS CURRENT SITUATION. I AM NO LONGER ON HIS SIDE ON HIS TREATMENT OF PLAYERS.

Perhaps his cancer treatments have further shortened his fuse, but having watched how he treated the players on Thursday nite, he needs a timeout. In the past, watching from the South sections, where you can see his every facial expresssion, the people in the North sections just see his back.....he was actually looking like he wanted to physically KILL any or all of the players who he didn't feel were playing like he wanted on this past Thursday nite. I AM NOT EXAGERATING ONE BIT. I've heard the past reports from fans who sit directly behind the bench as to how he talks to the players during games and I believe their reports. Fans around us have discussed how we have seen how he has acted with the players in games and laughed about BILL IS ON THE ROLL TONIGHT WITH HIS PLAYERS and dismissed it as his record speaks for itself.

For years we have watched his sideline behavior escalate to the point of this last Thursday nite, then on Friday, he was much subdued. Wonder why? Ask the players who transfered out, Jessica Schroll or any of the former players who would be honest in their description of his behavior during practices.

Again I like Bill Fennelly and respect his record at ISU, but tearing down a player to build them up doesn't work with all players. I think FRED knows that, but BILL has not changed with the times.

CHALLENGING A PLAYER TO BE A BETTER PLAYER IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN BERATING A PLAYER TO BE BETTER.

This is a little over the top. I'll admit that I also have been concerned with how hard BF gets on the players. I think many that have a problem with this do because it's a male coach chewing out female athletes, but Coach's like Geno and Summitt are just as intense if not more than BF. But I think instances like the Pop technical and BF reaction to it shows that he CARES about his players. Players should know what they are getting into when they come. Also taking a run at a coach who is doing this job while going through CANCER is pretty low.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

Perhaps his cancer treatments have further shortened his fuse, but having watched how he treated the players on Thursday nite, he needs a timeout. In the past, watching from the South sections, where you can see his every facial expresssion, the people in the North sections just see his back' MOST OF YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HIS FACIAL EXPRESSIONS HAVE BEEN LIKE IN THE PAST.....He was actually looking like he wanted to physically KILL any or all of the players who he didn't feel were playing like he wanted on this past Thursday nite. I AM NOT EXAGERATING ONE BIT. I've heard the past reports from fans who sit directly behind the bench as to how he talks to the players during games and I believe their reports. Fans around us have discussed how we have seen how he has acted with the players in games and laughed about BILL IS ON THE ROLL TONIGHT WITH HIS PLAYERS and dismissed it as his record speaks for itself.

Aren't you the guy murph/andy make fun of? Just curious.

Reactions: ISUFan22

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

This is the problem with our MBB. I don't want Fred to be another GMAC. We don't need coaches who want to be the players friend.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
Aren't you the guy murph/andy make fun of? Just curious.
Just because I spoke the truth, Andy the idiot Iowa fan, and he is a closet Iowa fan, he took potshots at me. Par for the course. He never disputed what I said, just railed.

If you think anyone on SOUNDOFF is an intellectual, you deserve that show for it's mentality.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If you had Coach Fennelly in your face and making you cry in front of 7,000 people the other night like he did to Jessica, I think I may have considered leaving the team.

The way to not have him in your face is to make layups and not look lost in the offense. Third year in the program. Figure it out.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The way to not have him in your face is to make layups and not look lost in the offense. Third year in the program. Figure it out.

There is a time and place for this kind of meltdown on a player. The locker room. Be firm courtside, but there needs to be a line drawn. The coach is not always right.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

success-kid-meme-generator-wolfenstein-boom-headshot-4a9962.jpg