***SDSU & NDSU Duals Thread***

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I really get the impression the coaches thought these duals were going to be super easy and they thought they could just train through it and show up, which seems to happen at least once a season every year. I understand that we've got a lot of people out and this was not our full lineup. But some of the decisions were baffling.

Somewhat separately, I've long felt like a lot of our backups and redshirts get far to few matches at opens during the season. This leads to a situation where you don't get a good feel for where they really stack up since you only see them compete against workout partners. So I bet the coaches were as surprised as we were to see a bunch of those guys lose. But just seeing people against workout partners is deceiving since familiarity often leads to matches that are closer than the skill difference.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
I really get the impression the coaches thought these duals were going to be super easy and they thought they could just train through it and show up, which seems to happen at least once a season every year. I understand that we've got a lot of people out and this was not our full lineup. But some of the decisions were baffling.

Somewhat separately, I've long felt like a lot of our backups and redshirts get far to few matches at opens during the season. This leads to a situation where you don't get a good feel for where they really stack up since you only see them compete against workout partners. So I bet the coaches were as surprised as we were to see a bunch of those guys lose. But just seeing people against workout partners is deceiving since familiarity often leads to matches that are closer than the skill difference.

Exactly.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Nolting got hurt against SDSU, so it left us with nobody at Hwt

That makes a little more sense but that means we brought three 184 pounders, a 197 pounder we hoped to keep in redshirt, and a single heavyweight on this trip. At least as far as people the coaches were willing to put on the mat. That's setting yourself up to get put in a tight spot.

And it also means we probably pulled Colbray's redshirt to avoid having to forfeit rather than for better reasons.

• Agree
Reactions: SouthJerseyCy

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
In a dual against ndsu they at that point in time they were going to lose anyway why pull a redshirt to fill the void?
So now what if Harrington does become healthy and wrestled to expectations?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I am not sure who all traveled with the team. Didn't know Joe Teague did until he wrestled. So did Harrington or Quean travel or not? Also isn't Powell a 174 pounder?

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
The point of manipulating weight classes in a dual is supposed to be done to give you a better chance at winning matches.. in this case it gave us a worse chance at both weights (197 and 285), risked injury for a highly regarded true freshman and burned his RS.

I don't have a problem with burning the Colbray RS if Harrington's injury is indeed as bad as it sounds, but I think we need to take special care to protect his confidence and health if you are going to burn the Redshirt.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I am not sure who all traveled with the team. Didn't know Joe Teague did until he wrestled. So did Harrington or Quean travel or not? Also isn't Powell a 174 pounder?

I don't see them in the stuff that was tweeted out but that doesn't mean they weren't just out of frame

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
The losses suck; what I perceive as mismanagement sucks even more. I would be curious to know how and why decisions are made by this coaching staff. There seems to be no real strategy at work. It appears they are playing catch up in every situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: crablegs

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
The losses suck; what I perceive as mismanagement sucks even more. I would be curious to know how and why decisions are made by this coaching staff. There seems to be no real strategy at work. It appears they are playing catch up in every situation.
Jackson should have to answer for these decisions. No real strategy is right. The goal of the team appears to be keep KJ from getting fired, and the strategy is to just take it day by day whatever he thinks is best to accomplish that. So far, it is backfiring big time.