Season Ends Strong with Post Season Bid -->2019 Discussion

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That was one of the more into-it crowds of the entire season. And, UNLV actually brought fans, which made it seem like a real tournament game. A group behind the up judge were likely from Spirit Lake as one player on their roster was from there.

The large group was from Nevada (the town, not the state). That's where Dawn lived and her kids went to school before she took the UNLV job. The group was mostly girls that she had helped coach, and their parents/families.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
The large group was from Nevada (the town, not the state). That's where Dawn lived and her kids went to school before she took the UNLV job. The group was mostly girls that she had helped coach, and their parents/families.

Most were classmates of Dawn's oldest daughter, along with their parents.Some friends and neighbors as well, along with the families of some dads that Josh coached with.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Was also interesting to see Hali get the libero jersey back. We'll see for how long?

Might be until the first day Centeno walks on campus- Shannon I might get to see play Jan 6th up in Cedar Falls looking forward to paying more attention to her game.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
That might have been a one time deal to counter the UNLV server that was giving them fits with her fast ball.

It was wicked but not dead straight like some top spin jump serves where if you are in front of it and have a solid platform it will spin up to the setter relatively easily. This ball was fast and with movement.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Congrats to Jess Schaben for making the AVCA Honorable Mention All American team:
https://www.avca.org/awards/all-regional-all-america-awards/division-i-allamerica.html

Other Iowa HS products also making AA include:
Mikeala Foecke-Nebraska
Jaali Winters-Creighton
Kylie DeBerg-Missouri
Taryn Knuth-Florida State
Piper Thomas-UNI

Also, next season may be the first time in like 10 years where ISU will not have a returning AA or All Conference player.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
It was wicked but not dead straight like some top spin jump serves where if you are in front of it and have a solid platform it will spin up to the setter relatively easily. This ball was fast and with movement.
CJL mentioned her % of Ace serves was tops in the country and I can see why after watching UNLV play.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Congrats to Jess Schaben for making the AVCA Honorable Mention All American team:
https://www.avca.org/awards/all-regional-all-america-awards/division-i-allamerica.html

Other Iowa HS products also making AA include:
Mikeala Foecke-Nebraska
Jaali Winters-Creighton
Kylie DeBerg-Missouri
Taryn Knuth-Florida State
Piper Thomas-UNI

Also, next season may be the first time in like 10 years where ISU will not have a returning AA or All Conference player.
No doubt Jess would have been up higher if Iowa State would have had a strong year. Really is she only in the top 150 of all D-1 players? B1G makes up a large part of the 3 top teams selections.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Got to think this is part of it....
Jaiden Centeno: DS/L, Omaha, Nebraska
One of the most sought after liberos in the Class of 2019, Centeno comes to Iowa State after helping lead Millard West to four-straight Nebraska State Volleyball Tournaments. Centeno's senior season for the Wildcats saw her finish with 623 digs at 6.62 per set. A three-time All-State honoree, Centeno was a PrepVolleyball Top 150 Senior Ace who played her club volleyball for Premier Volleyball Club, and was named to the All-Tournament Team for the 15 National Division at the 2016 USA Girls' Junior National Championships.

"Jaiden is a natural, she makes passing and defense look effortless," Johnson-Lynch noted. "She is very smooth on the court and has a great combination of athleticism and experience playing that position. She's got the perfect demeanor for libero – she's confident, talkative, energetic, but steady and under control."

Kate Shannon: DS/L, Waterloo, Iowa
Shannon finished out an outstanding career at Waterloo Columbus, helping lead her squad to three state tournament appearances and earning conference player of the year honors her senior season. She played both libero and setter for the Sailors in her final season, recording 356 digs, 177 assists and 80 service aces in 2018. Shannon was a multi-sport star at Columbus, also earning All-State honors in soccer and softball. She continues a line of Cyclones coming to Ames through the Six Pack Volleyball Club, where current Cyclone Jenna Brandt also played club.

"Kate is a smooth, natural passer and defender," Johnson-Lynch stated. "She's very athletic, strong, quick and a multi-sport athlete. She's got a great platform and a great sense of the game. I love her consistency and potential. She and Jaiden will make the libero position incredibly competitive in the years to come."

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
Hali Hillegas is transferring. Enna replaced her at libero in the middle of last season and that likely is the primary cause for leaving even though she was in the rotation as a DS:
https://cyclones.com/news/2019/1/15/volleyball-hillegas-to-transfer-from-iowa-state.aspx
This makes me very sad but she is a 'senior'. She may be graduating and wanting to go farther with her education elsewhere. I wish her nothing but the best. Thank you Hal for all you did for ISU.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Somebody help me out here, I don't know the scholarship rules for Volleyball. I see Izzy Enna and Taylor Baranski are now on Scholarship this semester. What does that imply? They weren't on scholarship before, or just the fall semester, or partial?

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Somebody help me out here, I don't know the scholarship rules for Volleyball. I see Izzy Enna and Taylor Baranski are now on Scholarship this semester. What does that imply? They weren't on scholarship before, or just the fall semester, or partial?

I depends on the deal when they committed? If you are a big stud you get the 4 years paid. The trend now is to offer walk on status with the ability to earn a scholarship once you prove you can do the school work to stay eligible and play a the same time. I know of a few players who were offered X and the schools have come back and said we know we offered 4 years but.....we want to change the deal will you accept a changed deal. They don't want to get stuck paying a 4 year full ride to a student athlete that can't stay eligible.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
They weren't on scholarship before, or just the fall semester, or partial?

Door number 1.

Volleyball is a "head count" sport, like football, MBB/WBB, women's tennis and women's gymnastics. No partial scholarships in those sports.

Team10

Oct 10, 2018
Hali Hillegas is transferring. Enna replaced her at libero in the middle of last season and that likely is the primary cause for leaving even though she was in the rotation as a DS:
https://cyclones.com/news/2019/1/15/volleyball-hillegas-to-transfer-from-iowa-state.aspx
So sad about thi
https://cyclones.com/news/2019/1/15/volleyball-hillegas-to-transfer-from-iowa-state.

Hillegas has been one of my favorite players to watch since she came here. Always hustling and flying into the stands to save balls. They always say stats don’t lie, so I checked the stats. Throughout the season I tried to make sense of the switch. HH was consistently getting numbers in the high 20’s for digs. The match against Oklahoma was 28 digs (it looks likethats when the changes were made). And then saw an article that Hillegas was the only player in the Big 12 to have matches over 30+ digs. A switch was made to Enna whose career high appeared to be 19 at the end of the season. This is not a knock on Enna. She is a good player, just seemed that Hillegas fit what we had come to expect of great Liberos here at ISU. I can’t remember where I saw it, but someone indicated she was getting a grad degree. If she’s playing somewhere, It’s likely we will hear her name again. It does appear that there are a couple of good Libero quality players coming in, so hopefully they will fill that void. I can’t wait for the spring season to begin. Has anyone heard how many home matches we will have this spring?

Reactions: StClone