Season High

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
In Big XII play, and especially over the course of the most recenyt games, Iowa State has allowed an opposing player to get a Season High or 2nd Highest Point Total of the Season. I would really love to see some improved defense, even if that comes at the expense of not scoring 70+ points, which they have done in every game this year

Most recents
WVA-Dibo-20-Season High
TCU-Anderson-27-2nd Most
Fields-18-2nd Most
OSU-Nash-26-2nd Most
OU-Hield-30-Season High
KU-Wiggins-29-Season High
Tex-Holmes-23-Season High
KU-Tharpe-23-Season high

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
This is a chronic ISU thing...Dating back to the Johnny Orr days, it always seemed we have left one player just go off on us. It happens across different coaches, different players, different eras, different opposing teams, it is just a crux of being an ISU fan.

It just seems as there is a player that has his best day against ISU. It is annoying, but it happens what seems all the freakin' time.

I hate it...

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
While I agree this is post worthy, it is usually not the opponents top one or two scorers. Fred will play the odds. If you are a crappy 3 pt shooter you will get all the open looks you want. Hoiberg's D will always focus more on top two scorers.

I'd venture that our opponents top scorer will be well below his average against us. Pick your poison. Do you want the odds that the other teams stud will beat you if you don't key on him, or that one of the role players goes off.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
While I agree this is post worthy, it is usually not the opponents top one or two scorers. Fred will play the odds. If you are a crappy 3 pt shooter you will get all the open looks you want. Hoiberg's D will always focus more on top two scorers.

I'd venture that our opponents top scorer will be well below his average against us. Pick your poison. Do you want the odds that the other teams stud will beat you if you don't key on him, or that one of the role players goes off.
Well, five of those guys on the list are the leading (Wiggins, Heild, Holmes, Anderson) or seconding leading (Fields) scorers, and I do not think Nash would be considered a "playing the odds" guy either.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

A lot of those guys lead their team in scoring.

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
I would really love to see some improved defense, even if that comes at the expense of not scoring 70+ points

So you're a fan of ISU basketball circa 1998? If that's what you want to see I suggest you become a UTEP fan.

Hoiball isn't about defense, it's about our offense overwhelming the opponent's ability to keep up. Hoiball is to men's basketball what Oregon's or Baylor's offense is to football.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Well, five of those guys on the list are the leading (Wiggins, Heild, Holmes, Anderson) or seconding leading (Fields) scorers, and I do not think Nash would be considered a "playing the odds" guy either.

Not to mention Nash scored quite a few of those points in 3 OTs

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Yeah, but Dilbo? My Lord, that was a surprise.

Dilbo Baggins?
Bilbo_baggins.jpg

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I mentioned this not so long ago, but here I go again.

I did this last year where I analyzed the number of players that outscored their average points per game and points per 50 possessions in Big 12 play. What I found was players outscored their averages per game in part because of more possessions against ISU and in part because it was usually guys that scored less making those increases (a product of Fred's defensive scheme to get the non high scorers to do the work). Here's the article from last year: Scoring Outbursts & Their Victims 2.0 |

I planned to do it again later this year but since it came up I quick ran some numbers. I'll go into more detail in a couple of weeks or so, but:

This is the number of times a team allowed an opposing player to score 50% more than their average:

Oklahoma State39
West Virginia37
Oklahoma37
Iowa State36
TCU35
Texas31
Texas Tech28
Baylor28
Kansas25
Kansas State20

This is the number of times teams have allowed opposing players to score 75% above their average:

Oklahoma State20
West Virginia18
Texas17
Baylor16
TCU15
Oklahoma14
Texas Tech12
Iowa State12
Kansas9
Kansas State6

When you consider tempo, this is the number of times players have scored 50% over their points per 50 possession average:

TCU41
West Virginia34
Oklahoma34
Baylor32
Texas Tech31
Iowa State28
Oklahoma State27
Texas26
Kansas22
Kansas State21

And the number of times opposing players have scored 75% over their average points per 50 possessions:

TCU14
Texas12
West Virginia12
Baylor12
Texas Tech11
Oklahoma State11
Iowa State10
Kansas6
Oklahoma6
Kansas State5

I'll go into more details in a couple of weeks with the full write-up but I think that generally discredits the thought that opposing players go off against ISU. Granted, this totally ignores the "season high" aspect of what is often talked about but the numbers show opposing players aren't rising up against ISU nearly as much as the general consensus would indicate.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Thanks! I think we only point this out when we lose. ...And we lose because we take quick shots that don't go in and give the other team more possessions. I doubt anyone would point this out if we won by shooting out normal percentage.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I mentioned this not so long ago, but here I go again.

I did this last year where I analyzed the number of players that outscored their average points per game and points per 50 possessions in Big 12 play. What I found was players outscored their averages per game in part because of more possessions against ISU and in part because it was usually guys that scored less making those increases (a product of Fred's defensive scheme to get the non high scorers to do the work). Here's the article from last year: Scoring Outbursts & Their Victims 2.0 |

I planned to do it again later this year but since it came up I quick ran some numbers. I'll go into more detail in a couple of weeks or so, but:

This is the number of times a team allowed an opposing player to score 50% more than their average:

Oklahoma State39
West Virginia37
Oklahoma37
Iowa State36
TCU35
Texas31
Texas Tech28
Baylor28
Kansas25
Kansas State20

This is the number of times teams have allowed opposing players to score 75% above their average:

Oklahoma State20
West Virginia18
Texas17
Baylor16
TCU15
Oklahoma14
Texas Tech12
Iowa State12
Kansas9
Kansas State6

When you consider tempo, this is the number of times players have scored 50% over their points per 50 possession average:

TCU41
West Virginia34
Oklahoma34
Baylor32
Texas Tech31
Iowa State28
Oklahoma State27
Texas26
Kansas22
Kansas State21

And the number of times opposing players have scored 75% over their average points per 50 possessions:

TCU14
Texas12
West Virginia12
Baylor12
Texas Tech11
Oklahoma State11
Iowa State10
Kansas6
Oklahoma6
Kansas State5

I'll go into more details in a couple of weeks with the full write-up but I think that generally discredits the thought that opposing players go off against ISU. Granted, this totally ignores the "season high" aspect of what is often talked about but the numbers show opposing players aren't rising up against ISU nearly as much as the general consensus would indicate.

The balls on this guy, ruining one of my favorite myths of Cyclone basketball! Guess I will be going back to the "Cowgirl is not hiding in the bathroom" reason for losses, then.