Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Dodds article is two parts: the new topic, revenue sharing. The 2nd is to reinforce - again - that the Big 10 and SEC have much more revenue than others. Thanks Dodds, not like we haven't heard that before.

Reactions: Letterkenny

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I get that’s it’s a clicks era and that’s how these guys make a living but anyone with a brain and has known this was coming for months if not a year. I hate how things get now get regurgitated by so many journalists that will say the same thing with no new info and pass it off as breaking news.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I hope this signals the end of the collectives era and "unlimited transfer" era. It's garbage for the athletes, the schools, and the fans.

The SEC and Big10 might as well hold a portal draft every year. ESPN would gobble that up. With the first pick Alabama offers $2.4M to player A. Player A is yet to enter the portal, but we’re sure he’ll accept the offer anyway.

• Dislike
Reactions: DukeofStratford

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
The SEC and Big10 might as well hold a portal draft every year. ESPN would gobble that up. With the first pick Alabama offers $2.4M to player A. Player A is yet to enter the portal, but we’re sure he’ll accept the offer anyway.
Funny but not too far off.....
The thing that kills me is how much money is wasted on this crap. its pretty much like the NFL Draft and someone spends 50M on a future QB that doesn't even take the field. '

at least with Basketball its only dealing with a couple of people versus a football roster.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If they were to unionize the players this absolutely could be a thing.

You'd have players opting for both the NFL draft as well as the "portal draft". Both cases they would be getting advice from someone about their likely success - except with the NFL its relatively legit and with the portal it would be tamper-o-rama.

Reactions: IstateClone

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If they were to unionize the players this absolutely could be a thing.

You'd have players opting for both the NFL draft as well as the "portal draft". Both cases they would be getting advice from someone about their likely success - except with the NFL its relatively legit and with the portal it would be tamper-o-rama.
Highly doubtful that a draft of any kind would come to college football. The players wouldn't want it, for one. It's something that would have to be collectively bargained, and I can't see players willingly giving up their mobility. Nobody top player is going sign up for a system where they might be forced to go to Vandy.

And for two, I don't think the power schools are going to want it either. A draft means more parity, and the Alabamas and Ohio States definitely do not want that. They don't want Indiana or Northwestern to have a guaranteed crack at a good player.

A draft is an interesting thought experiment, for sure, but it has pretty low likelihood of ever occuring.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Ever since OuT announced their move to SEC, its been clear to me we are headed for a pay for play employee collective bargaining model. I've seen no disconfirming evidence since then.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Ever since OuT announced their move to SEC, its been clear to me we are headed for a pay for play employee collective bargaining model. I've seen no disconfirming evidence since then.
I hope so, but I have doubts that all of the athletes will want to form a union, specifically the guys at the top. I don't see a lot of incentive for a guy like Shadeur Sanders to join a union, that would ultimately be limiting for him. Top level guys like him already have lots of power, freedom and value. What does a union membership give them that they don't already have?
I also think that limited eligibility works against the attractiveness of a union. A lot of the long term security that a union provides is negated because players will only be in it for 4-5 years maximum. They could always remove the eligibility cap, but then you're competing against the NFL/NBA for players, and that's not a fight that you would want.

Not saying a union can't or won't happen, but I just don't know that it necessarily is the silver bullet that it's often made out to be.

• Winner
Reactions: Jer

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I have always believed that the amount of money the SEC and B10 are getting from their media contract will not be as big of a game changer as those conference schools and fans hoped it would be. There is only so much money that schools can give to coaches and stadiums. The only way this is a game changer will be if they can use that money to pay their players. Until that is allowed, ISU will be fine.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I have always believed that the amount of money the SEC and B10 are getting from their media contract will not be as big of a game changer as those conference schools and fans hoped it would be. There is only so much money that schools can give to coaches and stadiums. The only way this is a game changer will be if they can use that money to pay their players. Until that is allowed, ISU will be fine.
This is exactly why they want revenue sharing.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I love how the article headline is “SEC and Big 10 are working together to form a new model” and in the 3rd paragraph it state all 4 leagues are working together. Media “hates” the idea of a P2 but are the ones driving that narrative.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
It is a certainty that money will eventually be able to be used for paying players. Simply a matter of when, but I'd wager it'll be sooner than later.

Then it will truly be a P2 system.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

Doing a draft would make them have to admit that the education part of being a college athlete is a farce. SEC may be fine with it but the B10 would not.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
All they have to do is move it a little. Money normally coming in from donors for facilities will be used for players and facilities and scholarships can be paid for with media money. When they start making around 50 million more per year just coming from their media contract it will make a big difference.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 19210 and t-noah

Help Support Us

Become a patron