SEC defense

CYedUp

Dec 18, 2021
I'm sitting here watching the Alabama Tennessee game and there is nearly a 100 points scored between the two teams. Remember when the sports casters used to give the Big 12 so much crap for such high scoring games. I just find it funny that they're narrative has changed on how superior they're offenses are now lol.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I'm sitting here watching the Alabama Tennessee game and there is nearly a 100 points scored between the two teams. Remember when the sports casters used to give the Big 12 so much crap for such high scoring games. I just find it funny that they're narrative has changed on how superior they're offenses are now lol.

To be fair, with modern rules, given equal talent, offense wins, generally. Those schools have a looooooooooooooooooooot of talent. . . $$$$$$$$

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CYedUp

Dec 18, 2021
I’ve never heard of this crap given for high scoring games before? Enlighten me.
They were showing a graphic earlier this week breaking down each conference by touchdowns and the number one conference was the SEC for touchdowns. And just less than 10 years ago the Big 12 used to be the highest per conference and they made it seem like defense was the cause of this. Also with that graphic what they don't take into account is the big 12 having only 10 teams so it's kind of crap I guess all in all.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
They don't play defense in the SEC.

Truth is, quarterback play in the SEC absolutely sucked for like 10-15 years. How many years did LSU have a top 10 team, but would throw for like 100 yards/game? For some reason everyone started scoring more once teams realized a good QB could still put up points, not matter how good the defenses are.

Big 12 QBs were phenomenal in the same time period. Everyone (ESPN "analysts" just assumed the defenses were bad.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
They don't play defense in the SEC.

Truth is, quarterback play in the SEC absolutely sucked for like 10-15 years. How many years did LSU have a top 10 team, but would throw for like 100 yards/game? For some reason everyone started scoring more once teams realized a good QB could still put up points, not matter how good the defenses are.

Big 12 QBs were phenomenal in the same time period. Everyone (ESPN "analysts" just assumed the defenses were bad.
Right. Remember when Saban changed his position and said that offense wins championships? The B12 was ahead in offense and it took a while for offenses to catch up. When you look at the number of plays run in the B12 versus others, back in the day, that was a big part of it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Alabama defense in the final 15 seconds was pathetic. Also, the Alabama decision making in their final drive was bad.

• Winner
Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The Alabama defense in the final 15 seconds was pathetic. Also, the Alabama decision making in their final drive was bad.
Do not understand why they didn't run the ball once they had the 1st down in FG range in the final minute. Could have had a walk off FG from a little closer or OT. Very poor end of game management by the Alabama staff today.

Reactions: quasistellar

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Right. Remember when Saran changed his position and said that offense wins championships? The B12 was ahead in offense and it took a while for offenses to catch up. When you look at the number of plays run in the B12 versus others, back in today, that was a big part of it.
Yep. In the hay-day of Big 12 offenses, the points/possession weren't much different than the SEC or Big Ten. Every team just played fast and had 3-4 more possessions per game than other conferences.

It was quite something to witness sports analysts and commentators unable to comprehend middle school level statistics.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep. In the hay-day of Big 12 offenses, the points/possession weren't much different than the SEC or Big Ten. Every team just played fast and had 3-4 more possessions per game than other conferences.

It was quite something to witness sports analysts and commentators unable to comprehend middle school level statistics.

TCU’s defense in those days was regularly #1 in advanced metrics. Probably part of reason committee made sure they got left out.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
I’m excited to watch TCU drill Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl and for it to have zero effect on the narrative.

Reactions: isutrevman

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Also with that graphic what they don't take into account is the big 12 having only 10 teams so it's kind of crap I guess all in all.

Some say numbers dont lie but the way you present them makes it so easy to manipulate. They will do this a lot with stats to downplay the Big 12. Always using totals instead of of a per team basis is just one of them (here total tds). I love the stats about 'number of teams per conference' like NCAA tourney bids for bball. Big 12 and SEC can both have 6 and they act like it's even even when it's really 60% of the conference compared to 42% of total teams.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022

The national media would never admit this, but maybe the Big 12 defenses weren't that bad and Patrick Mahomes and Baker Mayfield were pretty good.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
The only good part of the media's love fest with this game was Peyton Manning's joke that the SEC might want to rethink adding Oklahoma.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaCyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They call Tenn/Bama a 'battle'.

If it were OU/TX with that score thry would say 'flag football!'

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron