Seeking help for a new project...

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I posted this not that long ago on here, so I'll give the short version. Late 80s, me and a few guys from the basketball team were tired of waiting for a court to open up at State so we went downstairs and played "flag" football on the turf in the basement. Someone complained and the coaching staff chewed the players out. Amazing that no one seriously got hurt, but we all had turf rash.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I was in the student section in the sixth row behind the basket on the home bench side of the court during the Lafester Rhodes 54 point game. It was so loud in Hilton that Jeff Grayer did not hear his name announced during player introductions. See about the 4 min mark of this video. His name is called but he doesn't move until the crowd finally calms and he is introduced again. That was just the start of a bonkers game. Unbelievable actually.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I was at Iowa State when this happened. All the Iowa State teams had photos hanging on the wall in the Burger King. If I remember correctly, Sam didn't even wear a mask. Sam somehow convinced everyone the football player made him do it, so he go off fairly easy. He transferred to ASU after this and then played many years in the NBA. Dude was a major knucklehead when he lived in the dorms.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I want to hear the craziest, wackiest, weirdest and most wild Iowa State stories you guys know for a project I'll be working on with Connor Ferguson this summer. If you can remember general dates or when things happen, that would be preferred so that they can be more easily researched. I don't care if it is something off the field or court or some crazy game that you remember. I don't care when it happened or how long ago it was. I want to find a way to preserve some of the urban legends of Iowa State athletics.

Some of the craziest, wackiest and most wild ISU stories cannot be easily researched.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Fall 1976. Earle Bruce puts an ad in the Daily for a kicker for kickoffs.

The fellow that was kicking off was Greg Manske. Knew him. Man he was pissed.

1979-80 men's bball. Lynn Nance was head coach in his last season. In a late season game, IIRC, Nance takes out Charles Harris for a break. Harris was having great game. The students behind the team bench scream at Nance. Nance turns around and just goes ballistic on the students. I'd never seen anything like it. I turned to my buddies and said that Nance just lost his job. Seems to me Nance quit and someone else finished coaching the team (Ricky Byrdsong??) for the last few games.

Seems that Nance was having an affair too.

Last edited:

CycloneJim

Oct 21, 2016
The winter of 1986-87 when the massive snowball fight between the dorms and the frats happened across Lincoln Way. Completely shut the street down. Made the national news.

• Informative
Reactions: cy90 and Cyientist

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
VEISHEA riot Spring 1992 - when Orr and Walden were sent out to calm the mob in the streets as a last-step resort before the tear gas cannisters flew (I may know someone clogging the intersection of Welch & Lincoln Way...)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Was chatting a number of years back with three Class of 1948 alumni at a Twin Cities event. These three were all friends at ISU and would frequently come to our game watches and happy hours. They were from my parents generation so I like talking with them. My parents never went to college, none of their peers did either so I didn't actually know college folks from that period and I liked their college stories. Can't recall the guys name right off the top of my head but one of the gals was Lorna Livingston who always shows up in Ames for homecoming and the alumni band performance.

Story they told was the guy was late to morning class, he was a ROTC student. The professor chastised him for being late to class. He responded that he was late because the ROTC guys had been tasked with making sure all of the flags, and additional flags, on campus were at half mast. President Roosevelt had died late the previous day. This was a big deal in May 1944, something I am not sure we have much to compare to in 2023. Professor sort of ended up with egg on his face.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
-Does anyone else remember having a "snowball fight" in the student section with the yellow towels at the #2 OSU (2011) upset game? I swear that happened, but I was also pretty inebriated from "trying to stay warm". That stands out for football.

-For basketball it is 100% this shot and Scott jumping onto the scorer's table:

-From a non-sports memory, the day Bin Laden was killed and Lincoln Way/President's House/Central Campus became a mass march stands out.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I want to hear the craziest, wackiest, weirdest and most wild Iowa State stories you guys know for a project I'll be working on with Connor Ferguson this summer. If you can remember general dates or when things happen, that would be preferred so that they can be more easily researched. I don't care if it is something off the field or court or some crazy game that you remember. I don't care when it happened or how long ago it was. I want to find a way to preserve some of the urban legends of Iowa State athletics.
Being at the front of the line for the Kansas BB game in 2001 when students were on the side. Doors opened and I never moved my feet. The crowd just pushed me all the way to the top of the steps.

Not super crazy, but it stuck with me.

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
Ran into Eustachy in Downtown Ames at the Corner Pocket right after they just got stomped by OU (The Kelvin Sampson, Ebe Ere, Hollis Price team). He proceeded to tell us how much his team sucked and how they couldn't even make a F***ing jump shot.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY