Selling Rare Bourbon

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Wanted to see if anyone had recommendations for how to sell a bottle of bourbon. I recently won a "Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Years Old Lot B" in a raffle which is likely wasted on me.

Any idea on the best way to sell this?

• Wow
Reactions: Cybone

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
That’s a $1,000 bottle of bourbon.

What kinda raffles are you entering and how do I join?

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
There’s Facebook pages you can unload that stuff on.

FYI, the bottle is worth roughly $650-$700

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Iowa Bourbon Hounds is a Facebook page that does b/s/t. Most states have equivalent Facebook pages.

And agreed - about a $700 bottle

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I have a bottle of “Very Old Fitzgerald” barreled around the 1950s or 60s. it’s probably worth today about $1000.

Reactions: Clonefan32

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
It is illegal to sell alcohol without a license so you can’t post it to any public forum like marketplace. There are, however, several private facebook groups dedicated to that purpose and they are quite easy to find.

If you sell it non-locally keep in mind you will also need to ship it. It is federally illegal to ship alcohol without proper permissions through USPS. Whoever you ship it through, you cannot declare it alcohol (can’t even declare it liquid if using USPS) and will need to safety wrap the hell out of it

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Most of my display whiskeys have never been opened and some are upwards of 10+ years old. My father recently asked me why I don’t open them (for the record I have tasted from a different bottle every display bottle I have) and I told him those are my investment bottles .

I think I have at least $10K worth of investments on display. Waiting for a rainy day, buy that classic muscle car or my wife to divorces me and I can have some side cash .

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
It is illegal to sell alcohol without a license so you can’t post it to any public forum like marketplace. There are, however, several private facebook groups dedicated to that purpose and they are quite easy to find.

If you sell it non-locally keep in mind you will also need to ship it. It is federally illegal to ship alcohol without proper permissions through USPS. Whoever you ship it through, you cannot declare it alcohol (can’t even declare it liquid if using USPS) and will need to safety wrap the hell out of it

Reactions: cyclonespiker33

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I had 9 different unopened "Duck Stamp" Jim Beam bottles acquired 3 at a time over three years (the way they were released) when alcohol could only be purchased through liquor stores in Iowa (circa 1987?). In the 90's my son had a party while we were gone on a business trip. Hey kids, they should all taste the same, you didn't need to sample all of them No idea what they'd be worth now and probably more appealing to a hunting enthusiast than a connoisseur of fine whiskey but a 40+ year old bourbon should have some value

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I would gladly pay ~$50 for a chance to win that bottle and many here are probably in the same boat if a share of the proceeds go to the right places. Please keep us updated.