Senior Aces 2015- 3 Cyclones

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
If this next class is really solid, we're looking at a ton of potential with the group we'll have on the court the next couple of years. This year's freshman include: Conaway, West, and Harris, while the sophomores include: Kuhrt, Vondrak, Capezio, and Horner. All have shown the ability to contribute significantly and they should improve over this and forthcoming seasons. Plus we still have Bigbee and Nolan for two more years, including this one. The program could be on an upswing that can maybe get us past the Elite 8 hump (or at least I sure hope so).

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
With the HS Volleyball nearing the playoffs is anyone following how our 2015 recruits are doing? Injuries? Here is the list along with the National rank.

Abby Phillips, Libero..Marion, IA
33 Hannah Bailey, 6'3 RS..Cameron, WI
27 Jess Schaben, 6'2 OH..Harlan, IA
22 Remington Bowman, ..setter, Floyds Knobs, IN
Hali Hillegas..setter, Charles City IA (walk on?)

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Harley

Sep 12, 2014
Not so fast with that "2 best players in the state have left" comment!
Compare players on Quickstats Iowa and Schaben has better hitting percentages against ranked like opponents than Foecke does 3 out of 5 games. Schaben also had 17 kills hitting .469 beating Dike - New Hartford last weekend in 2 (games to 21). That's their 2nd loss in 3 years to an Iowa team! Yes they didn't have Morgan Saturday, but last year when they did Schaben had 20 kills and hit .364 and Harlan nearly beat them in 3. Harlan also beat Dike at the Iowa State high school team camp this summer with Morgan but minus Webber. DNH is loaded with a D1 outside, setter, and a young libero getting big time looks, along with Morgan in the middle.
Foecke is a great player and does have freaky big numbers but she's doing it mostly against unranked and 1A opponents and getting the majority of her teams sets.
Apples to apples, I think "the two best players have left the state" is and incorrect statement!

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
It can be a fine line. I'm happy with the Iowans we got. We started 3 freshman last week plus two more years of Horner working with them and Ciara, we'll soon forget this rebuilding year.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
With the HS Volleyball nearing the playoffs is anyone following how our 2015 recruits are doing? Injuries? Here is the list along with the National rank.

Abby Phillips, Libero..Marion, IA
27 Jess Schaben, 6'2 OH..Harlan, IA
22 Remington Bowman, ..setter, Floyds Knobs, IN
Hali Hillegas..setter, Charles City IA (walk on?)

Here is the final 4A standing and all three Iowa recruits have their teams in the top six:

Class 4A
SchoolRecordLW
1Harlan28-21
2West Delaware35-12
3Marion27-53
4Sioux City Bishop Heelan23-104
5Clear Creek-Amana18-65
6Charles City33-46

Tourney Games on October 30:

7:00 PM Charles City at Charles City vs Waverly-Shell Rock

7:00 PM Marion at Marion vs Davenport Assumption

7:00 PM Harlan at Harlan vs Carlisle

All the brackets here at IGHSAU: http://ighsau.org/volleyball/

As the Iowa State Volleyball Tourney goes deeper, some of the games will be on-line and worth a listen to see how the recruits fare.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I just hope that these setters are fairly tall. If we keep running this system, it seems like we need our setter to be able to block fairly well. This year is really pointing out something, you can't coach length. It seems true for most positions. You can sometimes overcome it with athleticism, but it sure seems to help having height.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I just hope that these setters are fairly tall. If we keep running this system, it seems like we need our setter to be able to block fairly well. This year is really pointing out something, you can't coach length. It seems true for most positions. You can sometimes overcome it with athleticism, but it sure seems to help having height.
Not setters but, Freshmen West has length to prove your point and Conaway has length and very athletic. Though listed as a setter for 2015 Hali Hillegas is only 5'5" and was recruited to be a DS. Articles on Hilegas seem to indicate that she is pretty athletic and in the link below she defends her stature.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/high-s...cle_614d0652-c12e-56f2-992a-43d74eec6917.html

Bowman is a well-regarded 6-foot setter and I have to think is athletic.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Harlan
Carlisle

Charles City 3 - 1
Waverly-Shell Rock

Marion 3 - 0
Davenport Assumption

Marion libero Abby Phillips is out at least 2 weeks with a broken hand. Phillips has committed to play at Iowa State.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Not setters but, Freshmen West has length to prove your point and Conaway has length and very athletic. Though listed as a setter for 2015 Hali Hillegas is only 5'5" and was recruited to be a DS. Articles on Hilegas seem to indicate that she is pretty athletic and in the link below she defends her stature.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/high-s...cle_614d0652-c12e-56f2-992a-43d74eec6917.html

Bowman is a well-regarded 6-foot setter and I have to think is athletic.

Bowman fits more into what I think CJL wants to run, then. At 5'5", you can't block. I would think she'll be a DS. We need some players that can be on the court for multiple rotations IMO. And, they have to be able to serve WELL.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Cyclones represent on the UA All-American teams with a second teamer, a third teamer, and an Honerable Mention.

CJL still has this train rolling with a little bit of a bump in the road this season.

I expect Remi to come in and challenge for the starting setter sport next fall.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Quarter finals will be on Tuesday November 11 at 2:00 PM Marion (33-7) takes on Charles City (41-4) in Cedar Rapids. Our recruit Hali Hillegas will be playing for CC but will not face our recruit from Marion Philips who has a broken hand.

At 4:00 PM also in Cedar Rapids on Nov. 11 Harlan (38-2) with Schaben plays Lewis -Central (23-14).

Floyd Central, Indiana, senior setter Remi Bowman's team lost in the Indiana 4A Semi-finals to Indianapolis Cathedral who is in the Championship.

Hannah Bailey Cameron, WI team lost back in October in early playoffs.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Harlan wins in three, not real close sets, and moves on to face either Bishop Heelan vs. Clear Creek Amana.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

Her team lost in the semis at state in WI. She was kind of a tree on her team. Lots of talent in WI volleyball right now.

Ciara's team Burlington HS, also lost in the semis. She was named 1st Team all state. Capezio's Burlington HS(CJL Brother-in-law coach) was upset in the semis too. Quinn Spieker of Burl, considered one of the best OH in the nation, chose NC State.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Her team lost in the semis at state in WI.
She was kind of a tree on her team. Lots of talent in WI volleyball right now.

Ciara's team Burlington HS, also lost in the semis. She was named 1st Team all state. Capezio's Burlington HS(CJL Brother-in-law coach) was upset in the semis too. Quinn Spieker of Burl, considered one of the best OH in the nation, chose NC State.

Thanks for the update. Maxpreps had Cameron erroneously losing on October 25 transposing the 3-0 score with Colfax in playoffs.

Charles City lost to Marion so Hali Hilegas is out of State. Abby Phillips was not schedules to play for Marion as she has a broken hand.

And...

Thursday, November 13 – Class 4A Semifinals
Noon – Top Bracket – Court One – Harlan (39-2) vs. Clear Creek-Amana (27-9)

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Thursday, November 13 – Class 4A Semifinals

Harlan defeated Clear Creek-Amana handily and plays tomorrow...Schaben had 18 Kills on five errors - though she leads the team she does have some talented teammates.

Friday, November 15 – Class 4A Championship
12:15 – Center Court – Harlan (40-2) vs. West Delaware (45-2)

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
ISU has 3 girls ranked in the top 35

I am not sure who is where though. I would assume Schaben is 22.

Solid class coming in next year. God bless CJL.

Schaben wasn't on CJL's signing list that has been announced by ISU. Was there a reason why that I don't know about?

Help Support Us

Become a patron