Senior Eligibility

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Rob has talked about wanting to be a chef, of all things. He could go put a million in the bank over a 10 year overseas career and come back and try to start a restaurant at 35 years old. Traveling all over Europe is also not a bad way to explore culinary arts…
I'd definitely try out Big Rob's Eatery.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I've been thinking ahead to next year and we should be concerned about our post play pending landing one or two immediate impact transfers. Assuming Omaha comes back, right now we're replacing the minutes of three 24-year olds with Billiew, Rock, and Fish, and you could probably include Watson. Spatola nailed it the other day when he said the catalyst for our success this season has been the activity, versatility, and defense of our post players
You're concerned about players that haven't even been recruited yet?

Reactions: Cydkar

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Rob also would have the opportunity to coach I would think. He is a leader and obviously understands post fundamentals

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Luckily for us college basketball is still very much a guard driven game. Our defense is also a "no middle D". Our success has been with middle of the road bigs anchoring the defense and getting easy buckets. TJ and company will get that taken care of this summer and Im sure already have guys identified.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Mmmm no probably not thinking about it now. I actually feel very confident in getting points when Rob has the ball in the post. What he’s done in 3 years has been incredible. He was a 47% field goal shooter even last year. It’s jumped 16% to 63%. BRE is a real deal big 12 big
But, does he sweat?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
2 high level bigs will be the priority this off season. If everyone stays, and they get two top bigs, I don’t even want to think about how good next years team could be.
The other thing is that we don't need those bigs to have any offensive talent at all - other than putbacks, dunks and lobs. They need to be big, strong, rebound well and have good defensive awareness. And we've got 40 minutes of PT to offer, because I don't think anyone on the roster currently is playing the '5' next year except in special occasions

I think physically Omaha could play the '5' in a Hoiberg style 5-out offense, but I don't see TJ going that route. Also I think JT Rock will be more of a "stretch 4" initially rather than a '5', just given his skillset and slight build.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I’m concerned about the ceiling of next year’s team with what we know we have coming in next year
Your concern is noted and laughed at. The ceiling of next years team is clearly Top 5 in the polls and a Final Four appearance

We've got our Top 4 guards returning, who have all been excellent this year and will have another year in the system
Then we also have 3 4 star backcourt recruits, a freshman (Industrus) who can really shoot the ball and a redshirt who is also a shooter and spent a year practicing against this backcourt.

Then we have Milan returning who can play either wing position and is poised to have an explosive second year, plus Watson who is a physical freak and on the verge of being a complete lock down defender, and then we have a 5-star athletic freak ready to have a break out. On top of that we have a 7'1" redshirt and another strong undersized post player.

Adding nothing (which no team EVER does in this age) we are easily a top 25 team, and are 1 or 2 post defenders from being a preseason top 10 team.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Despite how stacked we'll be at guards/wings next year (I'm assuming Milan stays, he's a wing to me), I'm actually expecting the team to be worse. I don't care who transfers, we won't be replacing the experience, maturity, and defense of Jones/Ward/King. Jones and Ward specifically being able to jump out on the perimeter and disrupt plays there is not common/typical and is a big part of our success so far this year and won't be easily replaced.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Your concern is noted and laughed at. The ceiling of next years team is clearly Top 5 in the polls and a Final Four appearance

We've got our Top 4 guards returning, who have all been excellent this year and will have another year in the system I'm not concerned in the least about guard play. We should be one of the best in the nation.
Then we also have 3 4 star backcourt recruits, a freshman (Industrus) who can really shoot the ball and a redshirt who is also a shooter and spent a year practicing against this backcourt. Who are the three 4-star backcourt recruits? We have Rock, Billiew, Fish, and Watson. Only one of those 4 has *proven* he can play defense at this level

Then we have Milan returning who can play either wing position and is poised to have an explosive second year, plus Watson who is a physical freak and on the verge of being a complete lock down defender, and then we have a 5-star athletic freak ready to have a break out. On top of that we have a 7'1" redshirt and another strong undersized post player. Ready to breakout is a great bullish attitude on Omaha. Hopefully you're right and hopefully he stays.

Adding nothing (which no team EVER does in this age) we are easily a top 25 team, and are 1 or 2 post defenders from being a preseason top 10 team. I agree. The ceiling on this year's team is legitimately final 4. Next year the guards should be better, but everything you've listed does not automatically replace the defensive efficiency of Rob, Ward, and King. We are going to lose 3 stalwarts and replace them with lots of uncertainty and unknown.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Despite how stacked we'll be at guards/wings next year (I'm assuming Milan stays, he's a wing to me), I'm actually expecting the team to be worse. I don't care who transfers, we won't be replacing the experience, maturity, and defense of Jones/Ward/King. Jones and Ward specifically being able to jump out on the perimeter and disrupt plays there is not common/typical and is a big part of our success so far this year and won't be easily replaced.
Well said. This is exactly what I'm trying to say as well

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I didn't think losing Rob Jones and Ward was going to be as big of deal, because we had Watson, Omaha at the 4 spot and JT Rock at the 5, but I am concerned that Omaha may not everything I thought he could be (hoping he flips a switch over summer) and JT needs to get much stronger (potential is there)
I am guessing TJ is going to have to hit the transfer portal for a bigger guy, which isn't easy to do.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I’m concerned about the ceiling of next year’s team with what we know we have coming in next year
Why? Our 4 best players will be back. Jones, Ward, and King have been solid but they aren't irreplaceable. Rock and Omaha will be ready next year and I think we get at least 1 in the portal. We'll be fine just based off all the returning talent.

If TJ and Green can develop mid major bigs into studs I think we actually have a higher ceiling with two guys who were big time recruits.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Last edited:

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
The other thing is that we don't need those bigs to have any offensive talent at all - other than putbacks, dunks and lobs. They need to be big, strong, rebound well and have good defensive awareness. And we've got 40 minutes of PT to offer, because I don't think anyone on the roster currently is playing the '5' next year except in special occasions

I think physically Omaha could play the '5' in a Hoiberg style 5-out offense, but I don't see TJ going that route. Also I think JT Rock will be more of a "stretch 4" initially rather than a '5', just given his skillset and slight build.
He is the same weight as Rob on the roster (255lbs) and I'm willing to bet he gains another 5-10lbs since that weight was recorded. I think he will have the style of play a lot like Dickinson from Kansas. BTW Dickinson is 260lbs.

Reactions: NENick