***Severe Weather on Wed 12/15***Damn its windy

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It was done in 5-10 minutes in Urbandale last night. It was still windy after but not shake the house type winds. Maybe it was just the direction of my house but I frankly get more wind concerns on regular days sometimes. The Derecho was constant shake the house for a good 20 minutes or more. Others maybe had different experiences but I had more issues stressing out about it all day than the actual storm.
You must have been lucky. In Ames there were frequent house shaking wind gusts well past midnight. The winds after the storm were stronger than the storm itself, from what I could tell.

I'm thankful the damage seems to have been less than last summer's derecho but I definitely wouldn't call this overblown. It was predicted to be a dangerous destructive and very strong storm with winds in the 70-80 mph range. It was definitely that.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Think of this as a category 1 or 2 derecho and last August as a category 5 derecho (worst in nations history). This was certainly a derecho, but it's tough to measure up to the most destructive in history.

Also, there certainly would have been more tree damage if the prior one hadn't culled the forests and cities the first time around
Not to mention if there had been leaves on the trees. That's a significant difference. Leaves allow wind to affect trees a lot more.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
You must have been lucky. In Ames there were frequent house shaking wind gusts well past midnight. The winds after the storm were stronger than the storm itself, from what I could tell.

I'm thankful the damage seems to have been less than last summer's derecho but I definitely wouldn't call this overblown. It was predicted to be a dangerous destructive and very strong storm with winds in the 70-80 mph range. It was definitely that.
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think it was nothing. I just think we didn’t need to be stressed about it for two days beforehand. Maybe I was just overly stressed though. Give people warning but maybe don’t spend quite so much time days beforehand.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The derecho was longer?

The derecho rolled through fast, in and out in an hour. Last night the winds sustained lasted at least until 1 AM.

I sat on the living room couch and watched our big main window bounce back and forth from 7 Pm - 1AM every time the big gusts came.
You have a death wish? A large window breaks and you’d been toast probably.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I don’t like calling this a derecho. It devalues what a derecho actually is. The width of this line shouldn’t qualify it as a derecho. People will start throwing around “derecho” for every QLCS line of storms and people won’t care as much when a real derecho hits.

Who made you the definer of what a derecho is. It meets the definition.

Seriously, thats like not wanting to call any of the tornados that hit Iowa tornados because they weren't as strong as the one that hit Kentucky.

• Agree
Reactions: 8bitnes

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Wind blew ridiculously hard last night, here. Some of the gusts rattled the whole house. Thankfully we never lost power and my preliminary inspection of the house this morning didn't show any damage. Feel pretty fortunate
That's what I thought first time around then singles started falling off over the winter.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
As WHO-TV pointed out last night, at one point there were tornado warnings simultaneously in a line from Spencer to I-80. It set all kinds of records for severe weather in the month of December.

I might agree that some of the early dismissals were overdone, but people don't have the benefit of hindsight when making those calls.

It wasn't overblown. It was blown just right. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic and MJ29

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The winds are what they were warning about all week. Part of the storm line or not the winds were the major player in the "system" that we experienced.

Those are just high winds associated with a powerful cold front. Derecho winds push out ahead of the storm line, not behind it.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
As WHO-TV pointed out last night, at one point there were tornado warnings simultaneously in a line from Spencer to I-80. It set all kinds of records for severe weather in the month of December.

I might agree that some of the early dismissals were overdone, but people don't have the benefit of hindsight when making those calls.

It wasn't overblown. It was blown just right. ;)

The main deal was the speed of everything. The all day non storm 50-70 mph gusts that were forecast were overblown a bit. What may or may not happen with the passage of the storms was not. This wasn't one of those hot, humid June days you can see a storm coming for miles and then the warning pops up saying a tornado is on the ground moving in whatever direction at 30 mph. You have time to go chase and take pictures of that if you are inclined. When things are going 70-80 mph by the time the warning is issued.......it's there. So all in all it was done about right.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Sounds like a competitive opportunity.
We keep seeing that places offering higher pay are getting the applications. It's probably not any deeper than that.

So, you outbid the competition to get someone new - then your competition offers more and then you lose some people - then you offer more to get some back - then they offer more - then what?

At some point somewhere in the job market someone will have to figure out how to get the work done with fewer people. Maybe it's automation, maybe some businesses close, maybe some reduce hours, but you can't run a constant deficiency between number of jobs and available workers and expect the current state of affairs to survive.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
And really, how many places can have a good culture without competitive pay? Compensation is an awfully big part of creating a good culture.

You think so? You'd take a crappy boss if the pay was great? I'm not so sure about that. As the saying goes - most people don't leave a job, they leave a manager.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAgronomist

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
And really, how many places can have a good culture without competitive pay? Compensation is an awfully big part of creating a good culture.

Very difficult but it's not always the end all be all. If it's a culture rampant with harassment, bias, lack of integrity - hard for money to make it worth it. Epic up here pays really well but it's also well known that they chew people up and spit them out. But if pay is **** to start with, yeah hard to convince people they are valued.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Congrats. Gonna be soft when you go back with a month of. No longer in livestock?

Yep, left Ag entirely. It'll be weird being back on a schedule but the baby will be in daycare so at least I won't be juggling him + work. Until day 3 when he gets sick and is home the rest of the week :p

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yep, left Ag entirely. It'll be weird being back on a schedule but the baby will be in daycare so at least I won't be juggling him + work. Until day 3 when he gets sick and is home the rest of the week :p
Did you ask about maternity leave with your new company for when the third comes?

• Haha
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yep. Increase responsibilities at a rate 10X more than pay and guess what kind of culture a business will have. People don’t mind doing the work, they don’t mind getting work added, they mind not getting paid for it.

and then shocked Pikachu face when people leave or don't want a raise that's too little too late.