Shady Bars of Ames

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Look into Mangostinos (sp?). Lovish own's it, and I've never seen anyone go into it.
I see lunch and dinner specials on the signs, beer trucks stopping by, yet never have seen a car in the parking lot.

My buddy found some kind of deal for 25%, so we went there and ate. The cook pulled an angry junkyard looking dog through the dining area into the kitchen as we ate.

Food was decent though.

CloneHead

Apr 11, 2006
IIRC there was a strip club in Ames. One of the dancers was murdered by her boyfriend, the boyfriend then had sex with the corpse and then decapitated her head. This was prolly 25 years ago.

Anyone else remember this event?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
IIRC there was a strip club in Ames. One of the dancers was murdered by her boyfriend, the boyfriend then had sex with the corpse and then decapitated her head. This was prolly 25 years ago.

Anyone else remember this event?
I think it was about 1990-91
You're talking Rueben Deases (not sure of spelling) and her name was Jenny. Can't remember last name maybe Gardner. The rumor was she was a dancer but I don't know if anyone actually knew that as a fact.
Rueben was her boyfriends brother as her boyfriend, Estacio was in prison in Oklahoma at the time.
They had bought a TV and she wouldn't give him the remote so he killed her. Cut off her head, stuck it in a paper bag and dropped it off on highway 69 south of Ames. Then they stuck the body into the TV box and dumped it in Little Wall lake.
And according to the younger brother that was there, Rueben did the body.

I just goggled it and according to the article his name was Edward Deases (I could have sworn it was Rueben) and the murder took place in 1989. I also forgot that he was killed in prison a few years later. The first hit I got was to a post about this from guess where?, Cyclone Fanatic

Last edited:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I think it was about 1990-91
You're talking Rueben Deases (not sure of spelling) and her name was Jenny. Can't remember last name maybe Gardner. The rumor was she was a dancer but I don't know if anyone actually knew that as a fact.
Rueben was her boyfriends brother as her boyfriend, Estacio was in prison in Oklahoma at the time.
They had bought a TV and she wouldn't give him the remote so he killed her. Cut off her head, stuck it in a paper bag and dropped it off on highway 69 south of Ames. Then they stuck the body into the TV box and dumped it in Little Wall lake.
And according to the younger brother that was there, Rueben did the body.
Choked her to death with a belt if I remember correctly. The boyfriend went after his brother at his trial too. One of those guys wound up getting knifed to death in prison.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Choked her to death with a belt if I remember correctly. The boyfriend went after his brother at his trial too. One of those guys wound up getting knifed to death in prison.
Yes, I was editting my post about him getting stabbed in prison when you posted this.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Thumbs had a good amount of drug trade on the patio/ alleyway back in the day......

I'm not even sure if that bar is still open. Went there only a few times in the early 2000s

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
I would think it would be interesting to talk to someone that worked at TW before it closed or at least frequented it on the weekends. I'm sure there's stories there

My first bartending job was at the Tradewinds (91-92). We were paid in cash, which was an bonus to a poor college student. In my time, never saw an after hours party, but I went over to The Other Place on Main Street for that activity. The most exciting night was when someone yanked the gas line out of the wall outside the back door and I had to call 911. I think I wrote about it a while ago but don't have time to search for it this morning. And Angie, I don't think I've ever been described as busty, but thanks for the props. The most important traits to have there was to put up with a lot of crap from the regulars and Steve (owner) and know when to shut your trap.
:rolleyes:
i also bartender at The Other Place and the Fox Lounge. What can I say, I know how to pick the classy joints... The shadiest by far was working at the old Elwell's resturant on the west side of town. What a craptacular family operation. That is where I saw a KKK membership card and if you weren't bulimic the old lady would call you fat to your face. I was 5'2, 102 lb and told I was built like a brick ****house by management. I was also ordered to serve food that had been dropped on the floor. Good times.

Got to get my butt moving to a meeting or I'd share more. Maybe I'll have time tonight.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
When I was in school (78-82), there was a bar downtown called Mister B's. The employees would take ALL your money, and most would not give you a drink in return. Not sure why we kept going back.:wink0st:

those employees taking your money? They were the strippers. You got your money's worth. Sort of.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I know some of the Habhabs and they're definitely not shady. Guess you got your *** kicked once of twice by a Habhab

They owned Granddaddy's the best dance bar back in the 70’s. burnt it to the ground when it was no longer profitable.

oh yeah...it was accidental...uh huh....right...

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Tip Top Lounge. Never been in it but it looks pretty shady from the outside.

Yup, having grown up, attended college, and worked in Ames, Tip Top Lounge is your best bet for a crime novel. I have represented many a client who got into trouble with the law in that place.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
It's not a bar, but you should look into a place called Greg's Closet that may or may not still be here. Never saw a person in the place, and it seemed like it was rarely open. That place screamed money laundering.

Sunset12

Apr 2, 2013
My first bartending job was at the Tradewinds (91-92). We were paid in cash, which was an bonus to a poor college student. In my time, never saw an after hours party, but I went over to The Other Place on Main Street for that activity. The most exciting night was when someone yanked the gas line out of the wall outside the back door and I had to call 911. I think I wrote about it a while ago but don't have time to search for it this morning. And Angie, I don't think I've ever been described as busty, but thanks for the props. The most important traits to have there was to put up with a lot of crap from the regulars and Steve (owner) and know when to shut your trap.
:rolleyes:
i also bartender at The Other Place and the Fox Lounge. What can I say, I know how to pick the classy joints... The shadiest by far was working at the old Elwell's resturant on the west side of town. What a craptacular family operation. That is where I saw a KKK membership card and if you weren't bulimic the old lady would call you fat to your face. I was 5'2, 102 lb and told I was built like a brick ****house by management. I was also ordered to serve food that had been dropped on the floor. Good times.

Got to get my butt moving to a meeting or I'd share more. Maybe I'll have time tonight.
most of the tales from TW that I had heard came from the middle or last part of the previous decade again they might just be "rumors" but some seem to come from a credible source. Oh the intrigue..