Shaw and Ejim Update?

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Kg, CIMD and others in the know, can you provide an update on our 2010 and 2011 recruiting? If it has to be off the record, please feel free to send me a PM.

Barnes is a bright young man. If he is truly planning on playing more than one year (we can all speculate, but only he and maybe his mom/girlfriend really know), then he will not only be looking at the classes before and with him, but also those classes after him.

So, have we had any new progress with the class of 2011? In particular, is there any update/insight on our recruitment of Mike Shaw? How did his visit go? What are our chances? I think the combination of Shaw and Staten could easily end up being the best recruiting class ISU has ever had, EVEN IF we sign Barnes.

Also, how is our recruitment of Ejim going? I assume the Brackins connection is very helpful, but HOW tight are our ties with him? Are they strong enough he would actually wait for Barnes to make his decision? If not, are we really going to risk losing him by keeping our offer conditional?

Don't get me wrong, I want Barnes as much as anyone else (probably don't even need to limit to Cyclone Fans). However, I think we need to sign Ejim (and Kelm) if they are willing and just "figure something out" if Barnes later commits. I know, I know, we don't have enough scholarships.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

BTW, I apologize to the disgruntled fans for daring to talk about potentially positive matters within the program. I'll make a deal with you (and yes, I only fist bump like Howie), if we still are in the bottom third (I'd probably even go as far as half) of the Big 12 after the 2011-12 season, you can have McD's head (hopefully only figuratively though).

chengyushen

Apr 7, 2006
Hope some kids don;t mind going to a losing prgram.........

Kg, CIMD and others in the know, can you provide an update on our 2010 and 2011 recruiting? If it has to be off the record, please feel free to send me a PM.

Barnes is a bright young man. If he is truly planning on playing more than one year (we can all speculate, but only he and maybe his mom/girlfriend really know), then he will not only be looking at the classes before and with him, but also those classes after him.

So, have we had any new progress with the class of 2011? In particular, is there any update/insight on our recruitment of Mike Shaw? How did his visit go? What are our chances? I think the combination of Shaw and Staten could easily end up being the best recruiting class ISU has ever had, EVEN IF we sign Barnes.

Also, how is our recruitment of Ejim going? I assume the Brackins connection is very helpful, but HOW tight are our ties with him? Are they strong enough he would actually wait for Barnes to make his decision? If not, are we really going to risk losing him by keeping our offer conditional?

Don't get me wrong, I want Barnes as much as anyone else (probably don't even need to limit to Cyclone Fans). However, I think we need to sign Ejim (and Kelm) if they are willing and just "figure something out" if Barnes later commits. I know, I know, we don't have enough scholarships.

BTW, I apologize to the disgruntled fans for daring to talk about potentially positive matters within the program. I'll make a deal with you (and yes, I only fist bump like Howie), if we still are in the bottom third (I'd probably even go as far as half) of the Big 12 after the 2011-12 season, you can have McD's head (hopefully only figuratively though).

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006

For any recruiting news you should definitely hit up Cyismydog...especially 2011 class...I tend to focus my energy on the games, during the season...After March, I will be more helpful on the recruiting end of things...Cyismydog, is always in recruiting mode.

Last edited:

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Staten and shaw wont make a top class because they arent in the same class. Shaw is 2011, staten is 2012

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
This has probably been posted before, but here goes:

"Melvin Ejim
Arguably one of the most underrated forwards for the 2010 class is Melvin Ejim. At an athletic 6’6 and playing the wing with his talent laden AAU club (CIA Bounce Canada), his ability to play and cover multiple positions, run/finish on the break and knock down shots with great range demonstrates the amount of potential he has as he’s receiving interest from several schools (Xavier, Baylor, Wake Forest, New Mexico, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Oakland, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Cornel, St. Bonaventure, Tulsa and Maryland). An All-Canada Basketball Camp top 20 selection and former Provincial Team member in 2007, Ejim demonstrates an excellent work ethic, commitment and drive that is motivating.

Transferring from St. Mary’s Ryken (DC) to attend Brewster Academy this fall for his junior season will add great depth and versatility to this nationally ranked squad."

Untitled Document

Here's a link to the Brewster roster:
Boys' Basketball