Shotgun Advice

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Looking for a new shotgun for deer hunting from a tree stand. I have looked at a few options and really like the Savage 212 Slug Gun. Anyone have this gun or have anything else that I should be looking at?

Edit to add: Any advice on a scope?

Thanks!

Last edited:

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
I'd think about picking yourself up one of these babies.

aa-12-combat-shotgun-frag-12-automatic.jpg

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I have the Savage 212 (as well as other Savage Rifles) and you can't go wrong there. Your search is over.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Looking for a new shotgun for deer hunting from a tree stand. I have looked at a few options and really like the Savage 212 Slug Gun. Anyone have this gun or have anything else that I should be looking at?

Edit to add: Any advice on a scope?

Thanks!

My in laws use one and another brand slug gun in Minnesota out of stands and blinds and really like the bolt action slug specific guns. Much better than trying to make a bird gun shoot slugs. I know one of theirs is the Savage and can't remember what brand the other is. Feedback from them and some of their friends has been that most prefer the 20 gauge by far over the 12.

I've shot them and really like them and with Sabot slugs hold a pretty good pattern. I only go late muzzle loader now but if I do ever get back into shotgun season I would definitely be getting one of those Savages or a similar bolt shotgun.

Last edited:

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
My in laws use one and another brand slug gun in Minnesota out of stands and blinds and really like the bolt action slug specific guns. Much better than trying to make a bird gun shoot slugs. I know one of theirs is the Savage and can't remember what brand the other is. Feedback from them and some of their friends has been that most prefer the 20 gauge by far over the 12.

I've shot them and really like them and with Sabot slugs hold a pretty good pattern. I only go later muzzle loader now but if I do ever get back into shotgun season I would definitely be getting one of those Savages or a similar bolt shotgun.

I recommend the 20 gauge...shoots long, flat, and accurate. I use Hornady 250 Grain SST Sabots.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I recommend the 20 gauge...shoots long, flat, and accurate. I use Hornady 250 Grain SST Sabots.

Those are the exact slugs I used to use and loved them. But a close encounter with an idiot shooting into one of my fields from the road and his slug hitting a tree 6 feet from me has completely soured shotgun season for me.

Now my slug gun is relegated to the occasional hog hunting trip.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Is the "knock down" there with the 20 gauge? That would be my only concern.

20 gauge is very similar to what you shoot out of a muzzle loader. I used to shoot a 12 and switched to a 20 and no difference on knock down when using good slugs. A 20 will shoot better patterns at a distance than a 12.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Is the "knock down" there with the 20 gauge? That would be my only concern.

Haven't had an issue....again the accuracy is the key there. You aren't going to be blasting away at running deer with this gun (nor should anyone with any gun in my opinion), so as long as you get a good shot in the vitals they aren't going far. My doe 2nd season last year went about 10 yards.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Those are the exact slugs I used to use and loved them. But a close encounter with an idiot shooting into one of my fields from the road and his slug hitting a tree 6 feet from me has completely soured shotgun season for me.

Now my slug gun is relegated to the occasional hog hunting trip.

I don't group hunt anymore. Went a few times and just hated the idea of me coming up on a nice buck, getting excited, and shooting at it without checking my backdrop to make sure I had a safe shot.

We are lucky where we hunt. Road access is 1/4 mile from the closest stand, and between the neighbors (who are excellent hunters with their heads on straight) and my in-laws we have 5 people sitting stands at a single time (about 10 total hunters from bow, both shotguns, and muzzle) on about 1500 acres of really isolated land. We feel really safe and are blessed to have the set up that we do!

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
20 gauge is very similar to what you shoot out of a muzzle loader. I used to shoot a 12 and switched to a 20 and no difference on knock down when using good slugs. A 20 will shoot better patterns at a distance than a 12.

Haven't had an issue....again the accuracy is the key there. You aren't going to be blasting away at running deer with this gun (nor should anyone with any gun in my opinion), so as long as you get a good shot in the vitals they aren't going far. My doe 2nd season last year went about 10 yards.

Thanks. Will definitely look into the 20 then.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

Sadly that's what most consider shotgun season to be. I'm amazed at how idiotic some of the "super groups" have become during shotgun season.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Sadly that's what most consider shotgun season to be. I'm amazed at how idiotic some of the "super groups" have become during shotgun season.

I am lucky enough to hunt with a small group on some isolated private land. We have to go 2nd season now to have access to the place, but it is top ground.

I am more of a bow hunter (and enjoy that 10 times more), but I still go shotgun hunting because I have done it since I was a kid with the same group of people. It's tradition.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Look at the red dot scopes. My dad used one until he quit shotgun hunting. He said when he shouldered the gun, it was a lot easier to find than a reticle, and very accurate.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I may be confused, but I thought it was a big no-no to shoot sabots through a rifled barrel.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I echo the 20 gauge recommendation for slug hunting. You will not regret it. Better accuracy, more than ample knock-down power, lighter gun to carry around, etc.

I use a browning BPS and just have a rifled barrel for deer season, but I haven't gone for a few years so I didn't want a dedicated gun.