Should Paul Rhoads be fired?

Should Paul Rhoads be fired?

• Total voters

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I seriously doubt Jamie will fire Rhoads during the season, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rhoads were shown the door in early December with another 2-10 or 3-9 finish.

I might have thought that he would cut Rhoads loose early and give Mangino the interim role as a test drive, but the offense is the worst part of this team and Mangino hasn't shown he's worth a damn as OC anyway.

I cannot give my source, so I know how this will be taken, but someone I know that is in the know, told me before the UNI game that had we lost it, CPR was gone before monday. I don't think there's much chance of him coaching here next year.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I did. He's a good coach and a good man who has had some horrible luck and made some decisions he probably wishes he had back. I think he can turn it around with patience from the fan base (a big if) and I seriously doubt that we can find better for football. It's an indictment of sports society and not on Rhoads that everybody has turned on him after just as many were up in arms because he wouldn't say a few short years ago that he was going to retire here because he said that he likely wouldn't control that (which may turn out to be prophetic).

I'm sorry, but no. We've given him time, and he hasn't given us results. It's that simple

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
What good does it do to make a move at this point?

Sure he is a good guy, but his job is to win games he knows that, he has got paid very well to do what he has done with this program.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
At first I didn't understand why I voted for after the Kansas game, but then I realized that it's because I want to see if ISU is that bad that we lose to KU.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I seriously doubt Jamie will fire Rhoads during the season, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rhoads were shown the door in early December with another 2-10 or 3-9 finish.

I might have thought that he would cut Rhoads loose early and give Mangino the interim role as a test drive, but the offense is the worst part of this team and Mangino hasn't shown he's worth a damn as OC anyway.

The thing is, if he does not fire him before the season is over, then he also has to get rid of Mangino. You're not going to bring in a new coach now, and you cant hire Mangino after firing Paul in December. Give Mangino a 9 game audition.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Can't fire Rhoads now. Mangino's offense is awful so he isn't qualified to take over.

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines

If no one shows up to the games Jamie will have to fire him.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Looking past the fact that I traveled to a game yet again from 1K miles away....we looked so unprepared. Prior to now I wasn't on the train, but leaving the game and for the first time ever I was on "**** you Rhoads" train out loud.

Normally I try to be somewhat subtle. The cards don't always fall your way. But **** it, I'm done. This is god damn ******* ridiculous.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'd be amazed if the decision isn't essentially made for JP when there are 35k fans in the seats by the end of the year. Cyclone fans are a loyal bunch, but I think the general consensus of "enough is enough" is pretty common. I know my group of 10 season tickets holders were giving it one more year to see if things improved. I imagine we arent the only ones.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I did. He's a good coach and a good man who has had some horrible luck and made some decisions he probably wishes he had back. I think he can turn it around with patience from the fan base (a big if) and I seriously doubt that we can find better for football. It's an indictment of sports society and not on Rhoads that everybody has turned on him after just as many were up in arms because he wouldn't say a few short years ago that he was going to retire here because he said that he likely wouldn't control that (which may turn out to be prophetic).

6-21 over the last 3 seasons, including 2 losses to FCS teams. And all indications are the team has been getting progressively worse over those 3 seasons. I really don't understand how anyone could possibly think this thing is going to get turned around under Rhoads.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
So baffling how people can still use this lame excuse. Paul would have been gone after last year at any place other than ISU

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The people who say he's a good man and he's trying really hard do realize he's the second highest paid public employee in the state of Iowa, right?

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Dan McCarney was a good person. Greg McDermott was a good person.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
6-21 over the last 3 seasons, including 2 losses to FCS teams.

This reminded me of how much I enjoyed mocking Chizik's 5-19 record during the 2009-2012 seasons when ISU was relatively successful in the early Rhoads era. Now Rhoads is right there himself over the last 2+ seasons and some people still think he should stick around. I just don't get it. I haven't voted yet because I can't make up my mind whether he deserves the KU game or not, but the rational part of me knows that even if we beat KU we're not going to get to 6-6 after a 1-2 start.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think you fire him before end of the season. I'd still give him the chance to get to 5 wins minimum to consider retaining him. Don't see it happening, but what good is completely dumping the season at this point? If you dump him now it also gives players more time to think about transferring. There's still enough talent on this team that you don't want a mass exodus.