Sisters win in OT

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just want to point out that we are 1-0 when Boxster is in the Hilton House this season. :)

Just enjoying the win and not thinking too much about what I saw on the court. It's a win. Some of the total breakdowns on offense in crunch time were disappointing but Kansas is the kind of physical aggressive team we struggle with. It's almost like the team takes on the persona of the crowd that whines about every single play/call. Suck it up and battle it out.

Not a great crowd numbers wise but they were pretty engaged considering it's holiday break time.

All and all it was fun to be inside Hilton again (less the brutal icy drive getting out of the Twin Cities..woof!)

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Just want to point out that we are 1-0 when Boxster is in the Hilton House this season. :)

Just enjoying the win and not thinking too much about what I saw on the court. It's a win. Some of the total breakdowns on offense in crunch time were disappointing but Kansas is the kind of physical aggressive team we struggle with. It's almost like the team takes on the persona of the crowd that whines about every single play/call. Suck it up and battle it out.

Not a great crowd numbers wise but they were pretty engaged considering it's holiday break time.

All and all it was fun to be inside Hilton again (less the brutal icy drive getting out of the Twin Cities..woof!)

Hanging around town for a few days with there being 2 wbb and 2 mbb home games in the next couple of days or this just a short 1 game trip?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Couple observations from a fan unschooled in the fine art of game coaching.

Man, there were some brutal possessions and total confusion on the court on offense at times last night. Obviously the three turnovers in a row in OT with a forward trying to force a driving play while double and triple teamed. That last one was so telegraphed everyone in the stands saw the steal coming from her blind side. But there were others, our last play of the second half where we had something called but only Rae and Bride seemed to know what and it was Bride desperately trying to direct the gals into position (or at least what she thought was the position.) I don't think I've ever seen our team go into such periods of utter confusion and disarray like we have seen repeatedly this year.

The defense looked somewhat better and rebounding was decent but dat offense, woof! I know Fennelly teams have never really thrived against aggressive and physical teams like Kansas but that cannot be an excuse for just looking lost.

Maybe Brides best game as a Cyclone. She might be the only one who does not shy away and give way when the game gets physical. As much as the crowd was booing every play last night, it wasn't a cheap hacking fest. Yes, it was pretty physical but it was not hackfest or game filled with dirty cheap shots.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Maybe Brides best game as a Cyclone. She might be the only one who does not shy away and give way when the game gets physical.

I would agree with this. Bride's been steadily improving over the last few weeks and you can tell she likes banging around under the hoop (which was mentioned to me at Fan Fest in August). But I do wish we had more bodies out there who thrived on physical play and could deal it out as well as handle it while on offense.

Edit to add: The win improved our RPI from 241 to 198. Kansas dropped 30 spots out of the top 100.

Last edited: