Situation with Iowa Gymnastics coach?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Good for them Gary Barta is no longer athletic director, or there would be another multimillion dollar judgement against Iowa on the horizon. Will be interesting to watch how Beth handles the latest scandal.

Reactions: aauummm

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010

EDIT - I can no longer find anything to substantiate the below, which I thought was included in the initial press release a few days ago.
She survived the last investigation about five years ago.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well, let's hope there is nothing too serious here other than Mulkey-like screaming or something. But I swear gymnastics has more abusive coaches - with much lower participation - than football or men's basketball.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Well, let's hope there is nothing too serious here other than Mulkey-like screaming or something. But I swear gymnastics has more abusive coaches - with much lower participation - than football or men's basketball.
It’s an individual sport, with a closer relationship between coach and athlete than team sports. And therefore it’s easier for those whom groom to find targets.

Not saying this situation is sexual, just more individualized time with coach and athlete compared to team sport.

Iowa Athletics really has run the gambit for allegations. PP, racist coaches, targeting female coaches, lawsuits where they payout, … and so many more.

Last edited:

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
It’s an individual sport, with a closer relationship between coach and athlete than team sports. And therefore it’s easier for those whom groom to find targets.

Not saying this situation is sexual, just more individualized time with coach and athlete compared to team sport.

Iowa Athletics really has run the gamut for allegations. PP, racist coaches, targeting female coaches, lawsuits where they payout, … and so many more.
Honestly ,….. just look at the collection of asshat, low life, scandal ridden, foul mouthed , two faced, cheating individuals leading their major sports teams. Easily the worst group in the country

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Good for them Gary Barta is no longer athletic director, or there would be another multimillion dollar judgement against Iowa on the horizon. Will be interesting to watch how Beth handles the latest scandal.
I do hope she learned a lesson in crisis management. One of the reasons (maybe the primary reason) she didn't get the AD job at MN is because the administration felt that she handled a performance enhancing drug scandal in the wrestling program poorly.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I do hope she learned a lesson in crisis management. One of the reasons (maybe the primary reason) she didn't get the AD job at MN is because the administration felt that she handled a performance enhancing drug scandal in the wrestling program poorly.
Woah, that’s where their AD was incharge of last? That was a complete sheetshow.

Reactions: jkbuff98

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Woah, that’s where their AD was incharge of last? That was a complete sheetshow.
She went somewhere else in between.

Evidently, the admin saw that AD (who was a complete scumbag) as a motivator, cheerleader and fundraiser. The admin seemed to think that Goetz (as an assistant AD) was supposed to handle the day-to-day stuff. The coach evidently properly reported the problem. They feel like her response was inadequate.

In her defense, you hear that she was generally seen as competent and professional but she was associated with that sheetshow of an athletic department and they really needed to get rid of that stench.

As a whole the U of MN is a highly political place, oftentimes cares more about perception than reality, and seems to really be representative of the arrogance that is associated with the Twin Cities in general.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
She went somewhere else in between.

Evidently, the admin saw that AD (who was a complete scumbag) as a motivator, cheerleader and fundraiser. The admin seemed to think that Goetz (as an assistant AD) was supposed to handle the day-to-day stuff. The coach evidently properly reported the problem. They feel like her response was inadequate.

In her defense, you hear that she was generally seen as competent and professional but she was associated with that sheetshow of an athletic department and they really needed to get rid of that stench.

As a whole the U of MN is a highly political place, oftentimes cares more about perception than reality, and seems to really be representative of the arrogance that is associated with the Twin Cities in general.
B1G baby.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Please seek help. You are clearly an unhinged person.
It's a lot of angry words but it's mostly true. Look at these leaders and tell me which ones don't fall into multiple of the categories that were listed.

Kirk Ferentz (scandal-ridden, two-faced, cheating)
Terry Brands (foul-mouthed, low-life, asshat)
Fran (foul-mouthed, low-life, asshat)
Clark (foul-mouthed, asshat, two-faced, I'll throw in entitled for good measure)
Bluder (foul-mouthed, asshat)

This is what's leftover after they got rid of BF, Doyle and Barta.

That's before we get to the gymnastics coach.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
It's a lot of angry words but it's mostly true. Look at these leaders and tell me which ones don't fall into multiple of the categories that were listed.

Kirk Ferentz (scandal-ridden, two-faced, cheating)
Terry Brands (foul-mouthed, low-life, asshat)
Fran (foul-mouthed, low-life, asshat)
Clark (foul-mouthed, asshat, two-faced, I'll throw in entitled for good measure)
Bluder (foul-mouthed, asshat)

This is what's leftover after they got rid of BF, Doyle and Barta.

That's before we get to the gymnastics coach.

How is Kirk two-faced and a cheater?

Why is Fran a low-life?

Why is Bluder an asshat?

How is Caitlin two-faced or an asshat?

Who gives a **** if they're foul-mouthed? You must not like Matt Campbell or Bill Fennelly in that case.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Don't forget ex-AD Loser Gary Barta and his sexual discrimination lawsuit he lost

The University of Iowa not paying contractors justs adds more to the low-life, asshat, foul-mouthed, two-faced, legacy of the University over the last 20+ years.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That might have got her bonus points in an Iowa interview.

Reactions: jcyclonee

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It's such an intense, high-pressure environment, from a very early age. Now imagine growing up like that, succeeding enough to stay in it, but not enough to be world-famous - what's your psyche like? Not good, Bob.

Now go coach and push kids to be elite, and also that's your only means of supporting yourself besides making burritos at Panch. No pressure!

It's like wrestling, but distilled to 150 proof due to less participants. Probably a miracle they aren't all insane.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
See shawker……I am right. And, clearly not the only one that knows it. That athletic department is the unhinged group, and include yourself as well

• Haha
Reactions: Shawker