Sledding in Ames

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
Does anyone on here know of any good places to go sledding in or around Ames? I have heard that there is a golf course that is supposed to be good for sledding. I'm not sure which one, but I'm guessing that they were maybe talking about Veenker just north of campus. And hopefully the place is open to the public and sledding is allowed to be done there.

Thanks in advance.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Does anyone on here know of any good places to go sledding in or around Ames? I have heard that there is a golf course that is supposed to be good for sledding. I'm not sure which one, but I'm guessing that they were maybe talking about Veenker just north of campus. And hopefully the place is open to the public and sledding is allowed to be done there.

Thanks in advance.

Frisbee golf course out by the ice arena. Drunk sledding at its finest.
HUGE hill.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Backside of the cemetary on east 13th street. About 1/2 mile east of Duff. Pretty good hill there and lots of room.

ilovetheclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 17, 2006
Ankeny, Ia
God i used to hate climbing up that hill on 18

too many adult beverages made it hard.

especially if your disc decided to roll back down the hill

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
if you are in the sledding mood, you should also check out seven oaks in Boone. Their tube runs are great and you don't have to walk back up the hill like you do when sledding!!! :smile:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

I agree! Especially bc its the very last hole and you are already tired. Climbing that beast is a pain...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Get yourself a disc sled and rope and tie it to the bumper of a car then see how long someone can stay on it while whipping dounuts in the lots between Hilton and Jack Trice! Then once DPS shows up get the hell out of the lot as fast as you can! :wink:

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
that hill's excellent for "garbage bag sledding" - get a large garbage bag, punch a hole in the bottom of it, wear it like a straight jacket, and throw yourself down the hill - it's quite fun :yes:

When I lived in towers we used to take food service trays out there to go sledding

Johnny8

Oct 18, 2006
Ames, IA
Last winter we found an old mattress at the bottom of that hill. We ended up dragging it to the top and sliding down with 12 people on it. Very fun indeed. :smile:

Shoop

Jun 4, 2008
Ames
Actually just utilized the hill next to the new alumni association building a week and a half ago before heading home for break...pretty good as long as you don't crash into the staircase next to the hill :wink:

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL

you know, there are all SORTS of staircases all over that course. except for the steepest hill. hmmmm. It would especially make the trek back up that hill for sledding way easier. it gets hard as hell once everybody's been out there and it's all pack snow and ice...

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The disc golf hill by the hockey arena is great!!!!!!

However be careful of any ramps/ski jumps someone may have built. I suffered my second and worst concussion (of the 3 I have had) hitting that jump on a saucer sled, doing a backflip and landing on my face. Still to this day there is a 45 minute window that I do not remember (from the time I left the hill to the next thing I remember my friends cleaning the blood off my face in the dorm bathroom).

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
The disc golf hill by the hockey arena is great!!!!!!

However be careful of any ramps/ski jumps someone may have built. I suffered my second and worst concussion (of the 3 I have had) hitting that jump on a saucer sled, doing a backflip and landing on my face. Still to this day there is a 45 minute window that I do not remember (from the time I left the hill to the next thing I remember my friends cleaning the blood off my face in the dorm bathroom).

dude that sucks. they always seem to build them right in front of the cement tee-off pad. I don't know if they just don't realize it's there....or just like to tempt fate. :confused:

Help Support Us

Become a patron