SMITH: Iowa State whips Kansas, 72-36

IanSmith

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Fanatics,

That was quite a performance, huh? Iowa State blew out Kansas by outscoring the Jayhawks 47-16 after halftime. Amanda Zimmerman came out of nowhere to score 11 points in 13 minutes. Kelsey Bolte also played well, only fitting on Senior Night.

The Cyclones also set a team-record for fewest points ever allowed in a Big 12 game. Pretty impressive stuff for a team preparing for another postseason run.

Here's my recap. Enjoy!

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/iowa-state-whips-kansas-72-36

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Good write up Ian.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Last time Carolyn Davis had 31 points, this time she had six and was basically a non-factor. Adjustments and home court.

I didn't see the game but it sounded like the adjustment was to be stronger in the post on defense when defending Davis. Her game is to bully her way into the paint. ISU didn't give in to the push last night and forced the officials to make a call one way or the other. ISU essentially had 15 fouls to give against Davis' 5. When Davis was pushed out of her game and had to sit, she folded.

At least that is what it sounded like.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
It's amazing feat to consider that we were 16-2 under BF on Senior Night and we've won the every senior night game since 2003 (the last defeat was in 2002 against Baylor by 4 pts).

IanSmith

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Right from the start, it was evident that Iowa State wanted to attack Kansas inside. Davis picked up two quick fouls and never recovered. To me, it almost looked like she was moping on the bench.

Also, Bill Fennelly's home record is simply amazing. After last night, I believe he is 216-35. How's that for Hilton Magic?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Right from the start, it was evident that Iowa State wanted to attack Kansas inside. Davis picked up two quick fouls and never recovered. To me, it almost looked like she was moping on the bench.

Also, Bill Fennelly's home record is simply amazing. After last night, I believe he is 216-35. How's that for Hilton Magic?

Thats pretty darn awesome.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Yeah I think the zone was the nightmare.

speaking of next year, did anyone catch BF's presser where he said he thought the Big 12 conference schedule was going to cost some jobs next year? that 18 games was quite a bit?

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Yeah I think the zone was the nightmare.

speaking of next year, did anyone catch BF's presser where he said he thought the Big 12 conference schedule was going to cost some jobs next year? that 18 games was quite a bit?

I didn't hear that comment, but, the schedule is brutal. We drop four games against NU and CU and pick up six games against the states of Texas and Oklahoma. We need to upgrade our game to stay even. SOS will not be a problem. BF will give a lot of thought to the non-con schedule.