Smith starter at MLB?

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Over on the hawkeye site's rivalry page a poster is reporting that Jesse Smith has moved to #1 MLB. He claims to have heard it from Smith himself at the State Fair. Can anyone confirm?

PS: Anyone been to the fair yet? I've not attended since 4H years ago.

Last edited:

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Was at the fair Saturday and the combination of the brutal heat and seeing a big board with an ad to come get Haluska's signature made me leave early and come back at 9 that night to watch an Awesome packed Nada's performance.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I wouldn't pay much attention to the depth chart now...or for that matter...for the first few games.

It's going to change a lot as Chizik & Co. learns what the players can/can't do and who will step up. I fully anticipate there will be about 5 positions with a different player starting the last few games as did the first game or two (excluding injuries).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't know if it's true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
If true, it speaks volumes about Smith's work ethic and heart. The kid is a walk-on...has not been shown any respect, especially with Bibbs comeing in. I hope he has moved up and is able to work hard and keep the spot....good for him!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If true, it speaks volumes about Smith's work ethic and heart. The kid is a walk-on...has not been shown any respect, especially with Bibbs comeing in. I hope he has moved up and is able to work hard and keep the spot....good for him!

No offense, but I hope the coaching staff would try to recruit over a walk on. The Bibbs signing was essential, and I'd be surprised if he didn't start, he has that speed that Chiz is trying to get all over the field.

We have been hearing stuff about Smith for a few years though and I expect him to see time this year, and especially next with Banks and Bowen gone.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Can you elaborate? I'm afraid that I don't know much about Smith as a player ... except that he's a local boy and a walk on.

Thanks.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Big, strong, and not so fleet of foot. Presents as a solid run stopper. Not sure how he fits in with the Tampa 2.

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
Everyone seems to have Bibbs penciled in at MLB. In JUCO, he was listed as a DB:

6bibbs

and as a recruiting prospect on rivals he was listed at outside:

Michael Bibbs - College Football

Not sure if that matters in how Chizik will play defense but nothing that I found indicates he is a MLB.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
No offense, but I hope the coaching staff would try to recruit over a walk on. The Bibbs signing was essential, and I'd be surprised if he didn't start, he has that speed that Chiz is trying to get all over the field.

We have been hearing stuff about Smith for a few years though and I expect him to see time this year, and especially next with Banks and Bowen gone.

Sometimes people step up and develop. How many people were recruited over Jordan Carstens or other walk-ons that started over the years. No offense, but to think just because a kid is not good because he is a walk-on?????? I think this is a good sign on how mentally tough Smith is....The spot was open, so he went out and took it, now he has to keep it. Which will only make him better. I would rather have a walk-on that earned the spot......

Disclaimer - I am also keeping in mind that we still do not know. And remember Smith has an early edge because he has been here and Bibbs has more catching up to do. So we could see Smith ealry and Bibbs starting later in the season.

Last edited:

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
Big, strong, and not so fleet of foot. Presents as a solid run stopper. Not sure how he fits in with the Tampa 2.

Not sure, so I am guessing, But I suspect that Smith got a little faster and more athletic like most of the team has. Smith could end up being a nice surprise...like I expect Alexander Robinson to be....

LOL...Where is "33" with some insight in JS.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Of course I'd rather have the best player start at any position. I am just saying that I don't think the staff was disrespecting Smith by recruiting over him. If the staff looked at the roster and said, well we're set at linebacker with our walk-ons, no need to recruit there, that would be ridiculous.

I hope Smith is very talented and has the ability to be a long term contributor.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's unfair to toss the Leaders name out there each time a walk-on is discussed. Guys like Leaders are not the norm, but instead a rarity. Plus, Leaders clearly proved himself.

Smith right now is an unproven walk-on. If he starts, he's earned it and hopefully he does well for us on Saturdays.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
If not for some disciplinary problems his senior year (suspended 4 games for drinking), he would have got serious interest from several D-1 schools. He has a great football IQ and has the talent to back it up. CIML Defensive POY, Elite 1st Team All State, and 215 lb state wrestling champion.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
Of course I'd rather have the best player start at any position. I am just saying that I don't think the staff was disrespecting Smith by recruiting over him. If the staff looked at the roster and said, well we're set at linebacker with our walk-ons, no need to recruit there, that would be ridiculous.

I hope Smith is very talented and has the ability to be a long term contributor.

Sorry, let me clarify....I see what u are saying. I did not mean the coaches disrespecting Smith, they always need to recruit the best players at any position no matter who we have, what I meant was Smith was not getting any respect from the fans. We were pencileing in Bibbs and Garrin....not even mentioning Smith having a shot.

Cyballs

Apr 11, 2006
Waukee
Jesse is a great kid. I had to chance to spend a weekend camping near him and his girlfriends family. He is a very solid kid. A little on the short side but very strong looking. He played catch with my son for little while and is great with kids. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
I talk to Alvin quite a bit, he said that MLB is getting alot of looks.. Fred Garrin has been in there alot and Bibbs is a physical phenomenon. Basically what we have at MLB this year is what we have at HB... Expect to see alot of rotation through the first couple weeks between Bibbs Garrin and Smith. I personally think Garrin has looked impressive but all 3 guys have their positives. It is far too early to say that we have a set in stone MLB and height usually isnt too big of a factor.. it is great to have a 6'2 6'3 linebacker but that is usually not the case. And as far as being concerned about speed in the Tampa 2, it doesnt take running a 4.4 4.5 4.6 40.. it is more the speed that the LB can read the flow, fast flow, seeing windows open and stuffing, they will be 9-1 and 3-1 technique players at linebackers, Their speed will depend alot on how fast of a thinker they are and how well they process and know the plays. a LB that runs a 4.7 4.8 40 can get to the play just as fast if he has good footwork and excellent flow reads.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
I talk to Alvin quite a bit, he said that MLB is getting alot of looks.. Fred Garrin has been in there alot and Bibbs is a physical phenomenon. Basically what we have at MLB this year is what we have at HB... Expect to see alot of rotation through the first couple weeks between Bibbs Garrin and Smith. I personally think Garrin has looked impressive but all 3 guys have their positives. It is far too early to say that we have a set in stone MLB and height usually isnt too big of a factor.. it is great to have a 6'2 6'3 linebacker but that is usually not the case. And as far as being concerned about speed in the Tampa 2, it doesnt take running a 4.4 4.5 4.6 40.. it is more the speed that the LB can read the flow, fast flow, seeing windows open and stuffing, they will be 9-1 and 3-1 technique players at linebackers, Their speed will depend alot on how fast of a thinker they are and how well they process and know the plays. a LB that runs a 4.7 4.8 40 can get to the play just as fast if he has good footwork and excellent flow reads.

Thanks for the update...

While we have u here...

Any word on how the O'line is coming along? And if anyone is stepping up? How is Ace's leg?

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Ive heard that Mcfarland is becoming satisfied with his starters, they are picking up the speed of the game and he was impressed with them after the scrimmage. That was coming from Kelechi Osemele. I couldnt give you a starting lineup but i think they are pretty close to having that set. And im pretty sure that it is who everyone expects