Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Did 53 lbs of pork shoulder on Wed nite. Took around 16 hours. Dry brined with Kosher salt, then a mustard rub and applied BBQ rub. I injected each with apple juice/apple cider vinager solution. Pulled at 200 and wrapped in foil and into a cooler for 2 hours. Power drill with paint stirrer and a five gallon bucket made “pulling’ it a breeze. The 200 degree temp melted all the fat except for a handful. Fareway meat market has the shoulder for $.99/lb.

View attachment 113289
So you're the jerk who bought up all the pork butts this weekend, LOL

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I was considering buying a stand alone pizza oven but decided to try and plugger one.

This is my first attempt. I found the landscaping bricks in my yard and wrapped them because god knows what was on them.

I had the pizza stone and 12 inch cast iron skillet.

Two down and one to go!

IMG_1586.jpeg

IMG_1587.jpeg IMG_1589.jpeg

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Kind of new to this site and don’t have time to read all the past responses, but I asked chatGPT about advice for smokers. Hope it helps!

———
Smoking is an addiction and quitting can be difficult. However, quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your health. Here are some tips that might help you quit smoking:

• Find your reason to quit.
  • Prepare before you go ‘cold turkey’.
  • Consider nicotine replacement therapy.
  • Learn about prescription pills.
  • Lean on your loved ones.
  • Give yourself a break.
  • Avoid alcohol and other triggers.
  • Clean house.
You can find more information on these tips and other ways to quit smoking on the CDC websiteAd1. I hope this helps!

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Smoking an arm roast on my pellet grill today. Smokiness at 180 for 90 minutes and then put it in a foil pan to braise. Covered the pan and cook at 275 until it is ready.

I’ve never cooked an arm roast before so I’m hoping it turns out okay. Cooking it like a pot roast only on the pellet grill instead of the crock pot.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Smoking an arm roast on my pellet grill today. Smokiness at 180 for 90 minutes and then put it in a foil pan to braise. Covered the pan and cook at 275 until it is ready.

I’ve never cooked an arm roast before so I’m hoping it turns out okay. Cooking it like a pot roast only on the pellet grill instead of the crock pot.
What's your braising liquid?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Lit my old Pitt Boss on fire last weekend and have been struggling with it for a couple years so I could finally justify a new one. I ended up hopping on the Recteq Father's Day sale on the 1250 because I couldn't find much in the way of huge issues with them. I wanted to get the prior generation Timberline in the worst way but there was just too much really bad out there on those.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did a 4 lb pork tenderloin roast on Sunday. Got it to 115 and had to leave around 2:30. Turned it off and came back at 7:30 it was still 95 degrees IT. Started the old DB back up to around 300 for about an hour and it went to 150-160. Pulled it off and and let it rest for 30 minutes. Put it in the fridge and next day for lunch had two sliced pork sandwiches for lunch with some of Jimmy's BBQ sauce. It was like I was at Battle'sa again!! Just put the slices in the micrwave for 35 seconds. I was really surprised as they were not dry at all. My saving grace was that it was warm and sunny out.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Smoked an 18 lb brisket for 20 hours Sat to Sun and it was the most amazing results I've ever had. Since only 2 of us in the house will eat it, we're on the 5th and final night, and each night it's heated back up really well.

My secret to heating up sliced brisket is to add a bit of the rendered fat and half a stick of margarine to a skillet on low and heat for 5 minutes per side. There are times where I question if it doesn't taste even better than the first night. Everybody says the boil in bag method works well but this adds an extra layer of yum as it braises in it's own juices.

Last edited:

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Lit my old Pitt Boss on fire last weekend and have been struggling with it for a couple years so I could finally justify a new one. I ended up hopping on the Recteq Father's Day sale on the 1250 because I couldn't find much in the way of huge issues with them. I wanted to get the prior generation Timberline in the worst way but there was just too much really bad out there on those.
I hope you have better luck with getting yours than I did with my 590. Over the course of a month they shipped me 3, and all 3 were damaged. By the time the 3rd one showed up I was sick of dealing with it and the damage was minor enough that I beat out the dent with a hammer and asked them to refund me $200 and kept it.

After that, it has been great.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Smoked two racks of Spare Ribs and a Pork Loin today. Went alright but much more of a baby back guy. Pork loin so easy, but I guess most temp meats are. It's the time based smokes that you have to know your smoker. Was thinking tonight about different categories and thought I'd rate them for the discussion. Beef from the pros for me because it's expensive to try and fail and I don't try and/or fail much myself. I'm also big-time hickory wood guy, love that heavy smoke flavor.

My favorite smoked "pros" meat:
1. Beef burnt ends
2. Pork butt
3. Beef brisket
4. Pork baby back ribs
5. TBD it's hard to stray from the top 4

My favorite smoked "myself" meat:
1. Pork butt
2. Pork baby back ribs
3. Pork belly burnt ends
4. Bullhead/Catfish
5. Chicken wings

The things I smoke that others love best:
1. Pork belly burnt ends
2. Pork baby back ribs
3. Pork loin
4. Pork butt
5. Whole chicken

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Smoked two racks of Spare Ribs and a Pork Loin today. Went alright but much more of a baby back guy. Pork loin so easy, but I guess most temp meats are. It's the time based smokes that you have to know your smoker. Was thinking tonight about different categories and thought I'd rate them for the discussion. Beef from the pros for me because it's expensive to try and fail and I don't try and/or fail much myself.

My favorite smoked "pros" meat:
1. Beef burnt ends
2. Pork butt
3. Beef brisket
4. Pork baby back ribs
5. TBD it's hard to stray from the top 4

My favorite smoked "myself" meat:
1. Pork butt
2. Pork baby back ribs
3. Pork belly burnt ends
4. Bullhead/Catfish
5. Chicken wings