Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Ive done a few butts that turned out great with cap up, but the brisket i had wasnt great. I also think i pulled it off during the stall, and didnt let it cook long enough. Really tempted to try a brisket again this weekend, just dont want to screw it up!

I haven't noticed much of a difference with butts but with brisket I got a much better product with fat cap down.

Brisket is tricky, it may take you a few times. If you are using a pellet smoker don't get hung up on the bark. Wrap that baby at 165 and finish it out. It will turn out great.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I haven't noticed much of a difference with butts but with brisket I got a much better product with fat cap down.

Brisket is tricky, it may take you a few times. If you are using a pellet smoker don't get hung up on the bark. Wrap that baby at 165 and finish it out. It will turn out great.
You've convinced me. I’m going to try it this weekend. Pull it off at internal of 200 ish?

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
You've convinced me. I’m going to try it this weekend. Pull it off at internal of 200 ish?
Personally, I do 202 and find it the perfect balance, at least for me. I like it a little more tender than 200 but much juicier than the 205+. It's amazing though how much difference 1-5 degrees can make on something that takes half a day or longer to cook.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Personally, I do 202 and find it the perfect balance, at least for me. I like it a little more tender than 200 but much juicier than the 205+. It's amazing though how much difference 1-5 degrees can make on something that takes half a day or longer to cook.
Do you stuff it into a cooler as well? or is that another "expert" myth?

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I use the cooler if I need to hold temp because we aren't ready to eat but I do think the rest period helps retain moisture.
Does being contained in the cooler continue the cooking process, or does it stop when its pulled off the heat?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Does being contained in the cooler continue the cooking process, or does it stop when its pulled off the heat?

You want to be careful as it can continue the cooking process. I suggest "burping" the cooler every once in a while to let out some of the heat.

• Informative
Reactions: RagingCloner

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Do you stuff it into a cooler as well? or is that another "expert" myth?
I don't. Because I go to 202.5 ish, I don't want it to keep cooking. I wrap it in a single layer towel (inside the wrap of course) and leave it on the counter for about an hour. Any shorter and it's not quite as juicy. Any longer and it gets overly tender.

Of course it all comes down to preference, and I'm certainly anything but an expect. But that 202.5 mark has been perfect for me every time.

Now, there have been some scientific-worthy tests on if cap side up or down is better, and in the end it really doesn't make a difference. It's personal preference that feeds into a myth.

One thing I tried once and found it crazy good but have never heard if anybody else does it, was to cut off a thin layer of the cap and put it on the top (after rubs and whatnot of course) and then do cap down.

• Informative
Reactions: RagingCloner

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Love the brisket discussion here. I have a full brisket from my 1/2 beef that I need to get done. Takes up a lot of freezer space! Maybe I'll do that this weekend if weather is nice.

Typical trimmed brisket from a meat counter is probably fine, but one mistake I've made for a full packer brisket is if the butcher didn't trim much fat, I wasn't aggressive enough in removing most of that fat. You don't need it, and frankly don't want much fat cap at all. There are a few videos to help with this.

Other than that, once you do your own brisket, you might be ruined from ordering it in a BBQ restaurant ever again. As in, you still will order it because brisket is awesome, but you'll probably be disappointed in all but the elite places (Whatcha Smokin' in Luther always nails it). Doing brisket yourself is time intensive, but it's probably the best set of meat you will get off your smoker. Delicious. 1000% better than the brisket you'll get in most BBQ joints. Just take your time and take it off at that 200-203 range and you'll love it.

Oh and I definitely recommend letting it rest AT LEAST 30 minutes after you take it off the pit (if you're in a hurry) and 60 minutes is probably the better minimum, so plan accordingly.

Typically because it's unpredictable for a long cook, if I'm smoking for a set serve time I will start this in the evening the night before I want to serve so I probably hit the stall around the early AM next day. Wrap in my butcher paper then keep going to finish. I'll likely finish well ahead of serving time. Take off the pit and rest inside a towel (still wrapped) for ~1 hour. Then wrap with another towel or two and into a cooler to keep warm until I want to slice and serve, up to several hours later. It's always been awesome.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Love the brisket discussion here. I have a full brisket from my 1/2 beef that I need to get done. Takes up a lot of freezer space! Maybe I'll do that this weekend if weather is nice.

Typical trimmed brisket from a meat counter is probably fine, but one mistake I've made for a full packer brisket is if the butcher didn't trim much fat, I wasn't aggressive enough in removing most of that fat. You don't need it, and frankly don't want much fat cap at all. There are a few videos to help with this.

Other than that, once you do your own brisket, you might be ruined from ordering it in a BBQ restaurant ever again. As in, you still will order it because brisket is awesome, but you'll probably be disappointed in all but the elite places (Whatcha Smokin' in Luther always nails it). Doing brisket yourself is time intensive, but it's probably the best set of meat you will get off your smoker. Delicious. 1000% better than the brisket you'll get in most BBQ joints. Just take your time and take it off at that 200-203 range and you'll love it.

Oh and I definitely recommend letting it rest AT LEAST 30 minutes after you take it off the pit (if you're in a hurry) and 60 minutes is probably the better minimum, so plan accordingly.

Typically because it's unpredictable for a long cook, if I'm smoking for a set serve time I will start this in the evening the night before I want to serve so I probably hit the stall around the early AM next day. Wrap in my butcher paper then keep going to finish. I'll likely finish well ahead of serving time. Take off the pit and rest inside a towel (still wrapped) for ~1 hour. Then wrap with another towel or two and into a cooler to keep warm until I want to slice and serve, up to several hours later. It's always been awesome.
Exactly everything I would say. I'd add that seasoning makes a big difference too. While everybody loves the ole "smoke ring", that's really done via a chemical reaction and the amount of smoke doesn't necessarily correlate to the amount of flavor. Finding the right mix of rubs that you like is just as important as dialing in your own process. Then, finding the right temp (usually lower equals more smoke), to cook at is key.

1 - it's amazing the difference in brisket from one restaurant to another (Jethros, Kue'd, Smokey D's, Cactus Bob's, etc) and 2 - none of them will be close to a dialed in home recipe.

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Once you get used to going full briskets, learn to separate the point and flat. It cuts your time in half and you don't deal with the layer of fat between the point and flat when doing a full packer. I started smoking tri-tips and they along with the point seem to have more flavor than the flat portion. I've probably done over 50 -80 briskets over the life of my GMG DB and have yet to ruin one. The hardest part is keeping the flat portion from getting overdone. I will take it to around 185-190 and then wrap in foil and put in a cooler and cover with a towel. I've left them in as long as 5 hours (temp sensor issue on the smoker) and it was still almost to hot to handle without gloves on. But still, they are better than most BBQ joints like you mentioned.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Once you get used to going full briskets, learn to separate the point and flat. It cuts your time in half and you don't deal with the layer of fat between the point and flat when doing a full packer. I started smoking tri-tips and they along with the point seem to have more flavor than the flat portion. I've probably done over 50 -80 briskets over the life of my GMG DB and have yet to ruin one. The hardest part is keeping the flat portion from getting overdone. I will take it to around 185-190 and then wrap in foil and put in a cooler and cover with a towel. I've left them in as long as 5 hours (temp sensor issue on the smoker) and it was still almost to hot to handle without gloves on. But still, they are better than most BBQ joints like you mentioned.

I always seperate the flat from the point prior to cooking because I want to be able to control when each piece is done. Plus I always make burnt ends with the point.

• Agree
Reactions: Jer and cycloner29

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA

Great suggestion. I believe I've tried this before also but not my go-to. As I recall it's pretty easy to separate them once you find the dividing line too.

Definitely going to try this next cook, thanks. Because in the end when I slice, I end up separating them anyway, and they absolutely cook different like you say.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Last week when I looked

Costco
Just flat $3.99/lb
Whole brisket $1.99/lb

Fareway Grimes
Whole Brisket $4.99/lb
When available, make sure to look at Prime vs Choice. Makes a bigger difference than you would think.

Reactions: BACyclone

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA

One tip for beginners that I was glad I learned early: before you coat your brisket in rub, take a knife and make a prominent cut (like 1/4" deep) in one corner of the flat 90 degrees to the grain of the meat.

When you slice the flat, you want to be able to cut across the grain. This little cut will take away all the guesswork on how to slice it when you are done with the cook.