So, was the foul call on Ku's guard correct or not ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
You mean the officials stuck by the call??? That's shocking!!
He was dribbling with his right hand and the white kid smacked his right arm down which caused him to lose the ball and he then tried to get it back with his left hand but couldn't

Video I linked clearly shows that's not the case. One might see Graham being tripped but not fouled on the arm. He was never touched.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Easy foul. I can't believe there's even a debate. Besides, Graham was stupid for trying to dribble through the press instead of passing. He earned that one.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Easy foul. I can't believe there's even a debate. Besides, Graham was stupid for trying to dribble through the press instead of passing. He earned that one.

This was what I said to Mrs. Velo when we saw it happen. What was he doing trying to get through there?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Video I linked clearly shows that's not the case. One might see Graham being tripped but not fouled on the arm. He was never touched.
You must be blind then. Probably from having to watch and cheer for a crappy team all year

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
You must be blind then. Probably from having to watch and cheer for a crappy team all year

My eyes are fine. Without all the demeaning comments, which are unnecessary, this is clearly a call that could have gone either way, thus the officials can hardly be criticized for making it as they saw it. I'm sure if it had happened in AFH, or a Big 12 gym anywhere, it would have been a play-on. Part of Ku's tournament issues is often referees, and for good reason.

Last edited:

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I got over this call in like five minutes. Surly, the message board archetype of little brother syndrome, and the dumbest person on this site not named twocoach, is still arguing about it three days later. Good work, little buddy.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I got over this call in like five minutes. Surly, the message board archetype of little brother syndrome, and the dumbest person on this site not named twocoach, is still arguing about it three days later. Good work, little buddy.

Irony 101 ^^^^^^^^

PS: Is not customary for ISU fans to call others demeaning names. Perhaps you're the exception proving the rule.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
My eyes are fine. Without all the demeaning comments, which are unnecessary, this is clearly a call that could have gone either way, thus the officials can hardly be criticized for making it as they saw it. I'm sure if it had happened in AFH, or a Big 12 gym anywhere, it would have been a play-on. Part of Ku's tournament issues is often referees, and for good reason.
KU's tourney problems are playing panicky and tight, which results in them fouling more. That's not a ref problem. The players that played their normal games in the Sweet Sixteen and earlier didn't have any problem with the refs. As for the play in question, there are probably a half dozen times every game where a guy dives for the ball and comes in contact with an opposing player and no foul is called. It's a 50/50 call that was technically a foul and went against KU. Bummer but no biggie. It certainly didn't cost KU the game. The more aggressive team wins in the tourney and KU was not the more aggressive team against Nova. THAT cost KU the win.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
OE15DyzQLqI4rrwWiLwA_Michael%20Bay%20Diving%20Board.gif

Kansas fans reaction to finally not getting a call to go their way.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
My thinking:
- Don't dribble between two defenders in a press situation.
- That is the kind of call you get when the Big XII isn't lording over the officiating crew.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
My thinking: - Don't dribble between two defenders in a press situation. - That is the kind of call you get when the Big XII isn't lording over the officiating crew.
My take is A) Don't have a zillion turnovers prior to this and you won't be under pressure to make this play to begin with and B) Calls happen, good and bad. Sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't. There were a dozen calls/no calls that had they been made or not made would have changed the course and possibly the outcome. That's out of your control. You either make the plays, the shots and the stops or you don't. This wasn't an egregious call that blatantly screwed KU at all so it doesn't bother me one bit.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Yeah, people are making a big deal out of this call, but even if the whistle never blows, ku is still down 2 points, clock is running under 30 seconds?, and their best player is laying on the court with the ball.

Losing possession and their best 3 point shooter hurt, but Mason did make a big 3, and they had two chances down 3.