So Where Are We At and What Will We Do

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
"The Burnhams are likely on the way out" seems to be pure conjecture to me.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Pretty good article, and yes, Wally and son need to go. It is one thing to be injured and inexperienced, it is another to mail it in against KU. I don't know what happened to the guys that were all over the field and running to make a play, but they don't play for ISU any more.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Pretty good article that sums things up pretty well IMO. These next 3 games are pretty huge. And it appears likely that the Burnhams are likely on the way out.

http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2014/11/11/7188577/dispatches-from-the-firing-squad

Wide Right is a good site, but I doubt they have any sort of real insider info.

I'm pretty sure that Wally was close to retiring last year, but with the death of Curtis, he stuck around. So I wouldn't be surprised if this was his year. I have no idea what the deal with Shane is, but he obviously brings out strong feelings in people. For what it's worth, I like him.

I like Linquist a lot.....I wouldn't be opposed with him being named D-coordinator.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If Wally goes, then Shane goes. The relationship between Shane and Rhoads has been strained at best and no way the son stays if the father leaves.

This is news to me. Isn't Shane our best recruiter? Plus, it appears Shane has done a pretty good job with special teams. I agree that it's unlikely Wally leaves and Shane stays, but I don't know anything about a strained relationship.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I think it is clear that Wally needs to retire. He debated it last year and probably should have done it. Its too bad this is how his career has to end because it was largely pretty successful.

As for Shane, I don't know how I feel. I have heard that he is a good recruiter. I don't know if he is a good teacher, however. Can he take serviceable and make them into decent? Can he take decent and make into good? I don't know that this year is a good judgement of his teaching ability. Keep in mind that our starting DTs are a walk-on and a converted DE.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
If Wally leaves what kind of a DC are you gonna get to work for a coach that may ne fired next year.

You won't get a lateral move but there are hundreds of coaches out there looking for a promotion as a coordinator.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I personally think Rhoads's best chance to be successful next year is to not change anything on the staff and hope nobody retires or leaves for greener pastures. I might be in the minority on that, but I don't see how getting rid of a DC and defensive tackles coach who are struggling primarily because of poor recruiting will help anything.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was gonna say Wally retires and Shane moves up. But I didn't know things were strained either.

And we should kill that writer for even planting the DMac seed. Un-****ing-acceptable. That doesn't even need to be a conversation point.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I personally think Rhoads's best chance to be successful next year is to not change anything on the staff and hope nobody retires or leaves for greener pastures. I might be in the minority on that, but I don't see how getting rid of a DC and defensive tackles coach who are struggling primarily because of poor recruiting will help anything.

Isn't Shane one of the Lead recruiters?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

He is, but assuming next season is a make it or break it year for Rhoads, trying to hire somebody better recruiters will be too little too late. Makes most sense to try to work with what he's got.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Tell me how we are going to recruit kids from Florida when the 2 main recruiters for Florida are being talked about retiring or getting fired? Not to mention Shane is regarded as being one of the best recruiters on staff.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
He is, but I'm pretty sure Shane didn't have anything to do with Coe not showing up on time, or Irving screwing up during Veishea. Maybe Krick quit because he didn't like him...who knows. How different would the D-line look if those 3 were still around?

We should have a decent 4 man rotation of Coe, Irving, Krick and Jensen, with Cousin and Garcia getting in the rotation, but instead, the bottom of that rotation has to start. If you want to know where our defense went, it left when those 3 did.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron