Socks for Christmas

What type of socks are best?

• None: let them piggies breathe!

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • No-Show: only squares let people know they're wearing socks.

Votes: 30 24.2%
  • Ankle: for the best summer tan lines

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Mid-Calf: even better if they have stripes around the top!

Votes: 37 29.8%
  • Over-the-Calf: let the world know you mean business

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Toe Socks: because you like to watch the world burn.

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Depends on season, but if I only had to pick one - mid calf.
Totally agree. I almost always wear a longer sock with some type of wool blend in the winter months because I have **** circulation in my feet. They are usually still icicles even inside the warm socks. In the summer months it is almost always a no-show sock unless I'm wearing long pants and not shorts, I'll then wear a crew sock. So mid-calf I suppose

Reactions: ianoconnor

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
white nike ankle socks always

People ask for socks for Xmas? It's something you should just be able to go buy whenever you need it.

Reactions: wxman1

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The best socks ever... are the ones they sell at Scheels that are ISU, or some other sports team. They are thick and warm and perfect for the cold months.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm a huge fan of darn tough socks. usually the mid calf, have some crews for biking, but have a pair of their over the calf mountaineering socks they stay in place over long under wear great for the weather we just had.

• Agree
Reactions: g4ce and HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I pretty much exclusively wear Darn Tough Micro Crew socks. These socks extend approximately 2" higher than normal ankle socks and on me sit just below the calf.

Darn Tough is an AMAZING brand. They last forever to the point where they are actually affordable despite high price. I go on long high altitude backpacking trips with huge temperature variations and even after wearing them for a week straight they don’t smell and they keep me from getting blisters.

I’ve also had Smartwool brand for same type of hiking. They are warm and don’t smell, but they are not as durable, I’ll get 1-2 years out of them compared to 5+ years out of Darn Tough.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and g4ce

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Summer I wear cotton ankle socks.

Winter I like mid-calf wool blend for everyday use. Go with some merino wool if I am doing an outside activity.

In my old age, I've come to love warm slippers in the winter when knocking around the house.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Pretty much only wear ankle socks. No show always seem to slide down at the heel, haven’t been in an office for 6 years so don’t get the benefit of a mid calf.
I don’t get cold feet or calves.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
No show for tennis shoes, crew cut wool for boots. People should start wearing more wool in general. It breathes, wicks water, naturally smell and microbe resistant. Just an incredible material. Oh and hemp. Stronger and softer than cotton.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
white nike ankle socks always

People ask for socks for Xmas? It's something you should just be able to go buy whenever you need it.
I end up with socks because I suck at telling people what I want for Christmas.