Some perspective on offensive performance (after 3 games)

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
ISUs offense has looked and performed dismal so far this season, but vs. App. St. was a welcome sight.

Against App St. ISU had an offensive point per possession of 1.28.

ISU's 2016-2017 team only had a greater offensive PPP than 1.28 four other times: The Citadel (H)- 1.41; Baylor (H)- 132.7; OK St. (A)- 1.30; TCU (N)- 1.30. The 2015-2016 teams only has 2 games where it had an offensive PPP of greater than 1.28.

Does this mean ISU is going to perform this proficient moving foward? No. Do I expect this team's offense to be anywhere close to ISU teams of recent memory? No, but it might be a glimmer of hope of what the potential of this team can be.

FWIW, I think this team could easily be a top 50 defensive team once they really start focusing on that aspect of the game. One day at a time will serve this team and this fanbase well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Did App State press and how was NWB against it? Just wondering, not sure if I see him as great vs. that but I don't see anyone that would be.

Last year's group was abysmal at times offensively early and a lot of that came down to just having anyone down low to keep defenses honest, which they really didn't have consistently until February.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Did App State press and how was NWB against it? Just wondering, not sure if I see him as great vs. that but I don't see anyone that would be.

Last year's group was abysmal at times offensively early and a lot of that came down to just having anyone down low to keep defenses honest, which they really didn't have consistently until February.

There was a little bit of press that made our inbounding look a little sketchy, but they broke it by throwing into Brase, who then usually got it back to Nick and then it was pretty easy. Brase made some great passes/decisions in that situation.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

NWB will be fine against the press, he’s fast, smart, and doesn’t force things. Like any pg against a press, it’s more about his teammates doing what they need to.

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
I saw lots of things to improve upon. Keep in mind Bridgewater College (D3) allowed App State to score less than we did.

The defense has to improve a ton for us not to get the doors blown off multiple times this year.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I saw lots of things to improve upon. Keep in mind Bridgewater College (D3) allowed App State to score less than we did.

The defense has to improve a ton for us not to get the doors blown off multiple times this year.
The last minute was sort of throw away - they let App State score 2 3-pointers and fouled them on 2 other 3 pointers which were converted. Then App State scored with 1 second left on the clock. Props to App State for even scoring 14 points in the final minute. It's kind of useless considering the layup with 1 second left - you aren't going to defend that. IMO the score is not really indicative of the game, at least the second half.

I'm not putting a ton of stock into it - this is something they can adjust, hopefully. Also, App State attempted 12 more 3 pointers versus ISU than Bridgewater, meaning they were getting inside a lot easier against Bridgewater than ISU. They shot pretty well from beyond the arc - making 15 3-pointers.

Also, just a thought but if Lard plays well again tonight then I'd have to think Prohm would be thinking more and more about starting him.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
As much as I root for him, I'm hoping Lard makes the move to starter and pushes Bevvers to the bench. I like Bevvers, but I think he'd be better served as energy off the bench. Lard changes things inside, and takes a bit of heat off of Solomon, which will hopefully allow Solo to get a bit more opportunity offensively and not get quick fouls. Solo should be the 4/enforcer, Lard the rim runner/protector.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
As others have said Lard is better than I thought as well. It would have been great if we would have him now with a year of experience.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Hopefully the guards will get better at feeding the ball inside. Seemed like we had 5 or 6 turnovers where they forced things too much. That was more than Monte had all of last season. Did they not learn from watching the maestro?

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron