Somebody is walking by and spitting on my dog

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Thoughts:

A) I am leaning towards this being slobber/shaking related, might be brown because she's nosing up the dirt or something. That just seems more likely than someone who happens to walk by at the right time multiple times, gets the dog to come close, and then spits on her. Watch the dog and or get a camera that can't run out of power. This will confirm/deny, so find out for sure.

B) If it IS a person doing this, you have to confront them sternly. That won't be fun, but probably someone who picks on a dog is going to be a pathetic insecure bully. They will deny deny but you will have to be firm. And then watch more that they don't come back and try to do worse - plenty of evil people out there. Dognap, poison, shoot, etc. Really, if there is any way to get the dog in the backyard then do that, or else you may just have to sit out there with her while she is out there.

C) don't leave your dog outside unattended, unless you want it to escape, be kidnapped, or get injured. GF is very involved in animal rescue and veterinary, and have seen countless stories that started with unattended dog "but there's a fence!" and ended very badly.

D) people saying to "unleash the Rott!" - you must not know many Rotts. They are frigging babies. We have a 14 lb terrier mix with diabetes who is more dangerous. Rotts look scary af, and there are a few that have been abused or trained to be vicious, but 95% of them are just teddy bears.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Spit on them. See where they want to escalate it. Anything that isn't on video is going to be their word vs yours. Most people don't want to testify if if there is no physical evidence and their character is allowed to be explored on cross examination.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Spit on them. See where they want to escalate it. Anything that isn't on video is going to be their word vs yours. Most people don't want to testify if if there is no physical evidence and their character is allowed to be explored on cross examination.
yeah, for everyone promoting retaliation, spitting back on them, sick the dog on them... While being gratifying in the moment, all of these could land OP in jail for assault(even the spitting), or having to put the dog down for aggressive behavior. I know some of these are tongue in cheek, but please don't retaliate! I would suggest getting a camera that plugs in, in your front window, and/or just watching the dog while outside and seeing if you can catch someone in the act. If it happens regularly it shouldn't take long to find the culprit. You can confront someone without violence. Odds are if you confront them the behavior will stop once they know you know who they are.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
What a weird comment. Imagine someone spitting on you and you ask them why and they say someone that looked like you did something to me once and then saying oh ok, no worries I'll just carry on with life. Very strange.
No one is spitting on someone, it's a dog, and I doubt anyone is taking the time and effort to repeatedly spit on a dog in someone's front yard. Even in the unlikely event they are, the dog doesn't care. Why not just tie the dog up in the backyard and go on with your life? I was suggesting in the extremely unlikely event someone is doing this you could try and understand why instead of just looking for revenge like many suggest on here. In contrast cdnlngld had a very rational response.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
yeah, for everyone promoting retaliation, spitting back on them, sick the dog on them... While being gratifying in the moment, all of these could land OP in jail for assault(even the spitting), or having to put the dog down for aggressive behavior. I know some of these are tongue in cheek, but please don't retaliate! I would suggest getting a camera that plugs in, in your front window, and/or just watching the dog while outside and seeing if you can catch someone in the act. If it happens regularly it shouldn't take long to find the culprit. You can confront someone without violence. Odds are if you confront them the behavior will stop once they know you know who they are.

Always challenge anything, and everything that isn't backed up by video footage. The person will have to file charges for any actions to be taken by the police. I'm sure the cop will love getting into the middle of a "he said, she said" type situation.

Capturing footage of someone doing something that is otherwise legal doesn't do anything to solve the situation. Unless of course you have some way to "shame" the individual enough online to make them correct the behavior.

Of course, I would always advocate for a non-violent path. However, those options do not always work for everyone involved.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
Fairly certain if you spit on someone that you can be charged for assault. It’s gross as hell anyway. Take the high road

Reactions: cdnlngld

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
I am somewhat surprised that more veterinarians have not come to this discussion and explained that the odds are about 98% that you are dealing with your own dog's slobber and drooling. Most dogs (curiosity, boredom) will do alot of sniffing when staked outside. Dust, dirt, molds, etc will cause a little mild rhinitis and the dog will likely drool and sneeze. Go ahead and set up a camera and see, or stand off to the side and see what transpires.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I am somewhat surprised that more veterinarians have not come to this discussion and explained that the odds are about 98% that you are dealing with your own dog's slobber and drooling. Most dogs (curiosity, boredom) will do alot of sniffing when staked outside. Dust, dirt, molds, etc will cause a little mild rhinitis and the dog will likely drool and sneeze. Go ahead and set up a camera and see, or stand off to the side and see what transpires.
I find it more funny to think of someone going out of their way to spit on a dog every day. Like how mad would you have to be at that dog or person to do that?

Reactions: 2122

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
You can’t seriously think someone is spitting on your dog right? 1 time, I can believe it, 10+ times? That’s your dogs spit. Come on. No one is waiting for your dog to be out and then spitting on it.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 0u812 and Frak

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
While people do some strange things, I agree it's probably just the dog's own slobber. Rottweilers can be some slobber MFers, and that **** flies all over the place when they shake their heads.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
My golden has a special bark when he is being confronted taunted teased through our fence. Kids were poking sticks at him one day I ran out picked him up as he was sounding like Cujo and said, "If you do that again here he comes! Funny hasn't ever happened again. Otis looks like a killer 20190329_194140.jpg

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
My labs always have slobber dirt and spit on their snout. Every single time.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
ive got 2 boxers. one is smaller/shorter than the other and always has drool/slobber/dirt on her back and/or head from the bigger one's drooling jowls.