Son just got accepted for Fall 2022

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Didn't read all 8 pages but assume it was everyone saying "I lived here so it was the best, go there."

That being said, I lived in Friley and it was the best! Go there!

In all seriousness I'm sure anywhere will be good freshman year. I'd avoid suites as those kids seemed so closed off. I dated 2 girls from suites the two years I was in Friley, and they didn't mix much at all. Everyone just hung with their high school friends.

At 37 all my my current friend circles revolve around my 2 years in Friley.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
I spent my entire college career at Frederiksen Court (granted I was a Community College transfer, but I digress). Of course, not dorm life, but still a pretty sociable environment, IMO.

My cousin lived in Martin and loved it, but also says Freddy Court has gone way downhill in recent years. Any truth to this?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Spent a few years at Helser in the 80s. Loved it. It still amazes me that after all these years later, you can walk through the Friley arch towards Lincoln way and that tiny building with the ATM inside is still standing and functional.

CysFam

Jul 24, 2021
Spent a few years at Helser in the 80s. Loved it. It still amazes me that after all these years later, you can walk through the Friley arch towards Lincoln way and that tiny building with the ATM inside is still standing and functional.

Good old Hot as Helser. Nothing like waking up with paint chips from the ceiling on top of you and the smell of sweaty college kids with no AC.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's good to know because I was disappointed with the number of good students who struggle to pay for college while here is a crappy student who gets in based on distant family ethnicity.
Yes, things have changed since we were at ISU. It’s was one thing that Rastetter pushed through when he headed the BOR.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I spent my entire college career at Frederiksen Court (granted I was a Community College transfer, but I digress). Of course, not dorm life, but still a pretty sociable environment, IMO.

My cousin lived in Martin and loved it, but also says Freddy Court has gone way downhill in recent years. Any truth to this?
A recent college grad caught a ride with us to the game Saturday. She was sitting in back talking to my wife and one thing I caught was her saying she hated Freddy court. Sounded like it has started to show its age and is going downhill

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Lived in the dorms and a fraternity. Had a great time at both.

Live close to campus, if possible.

Jealous.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
That's good to know because I was disappointed with the number of good students who struggle to pay for college while here is a crappy student who gets in based on distant family ethnicity.

Me too, but there just isn't enough funding to go around to all well deserving students.

There are also a ton of scholarships at ISU (and other schools too. This isn't unique to ISU.) That are very restrictive regarding who qualifies. I know one scholarship a department awards must go to someone from a small rural town in that particular major because the donor said that is what he/she wants and ISU has to follow those rules. The University wants to spend another's money so it has to be awarded even if the student isn't as strong as a peer.

Lastly, for many recipients perception is reality. "I got this award because I am X," but in reality that is only the partial truth or completely untrue. Many students and families really have no idea about what funding they are receiving or what they are paying. That's not an exaggeration. Many have absolutely no idea thus perception becomes reality.

Help Support Us

Become a patron