Son just got accepted for Fall 2022

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
You should go ahead and pay the $330 admissions acceptance fee now so your son can submit his housing contract and be near the front of the line in terms of getting his housing preferences. There's virtually no risk in doing so. If your son should decide not to enroll, he will be refunded all but $30 of this fee as long as he informs the admissions office by May 1 of his senior year.
Yeah, we did when I originally posted this thread.

Reactions: NWICY

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
So what's the pros and cons of dorm life and which ones should he and his buddies try for? I assume FrileI never stayed in the dorms. I believe that lly so that you are in the middle of everything.

I toured Geoffrey during my daughter's orientation, and thought it was pretty sweet.

Side note: make sure to research the scholarships that ISU offers to all incoming Freshmen based on academic achievement. Scoring high enough on the ACT or SAT might net you some cash, when combined with his GPA

H

Reactions: stateofmind

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I toured Geoffrey during my daughter's orientation, and thought it was pretty sweet.

Side note: make sure to research the scholarships that ISU offers to all incoming Freshmen based on academic achievement. Scoring high enough on the ACT or SAT might net you some cash, when combined with his GPA

H
They change a bunch of that this year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

H
And it isn't just academic achievement. Someone we know who lives out of state told us his son got a full ride scholly to ISU based on just so-so grades and being hispanic.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
And it isn't just academic achievement. Someone we know who lives out of state told us his son got a full ride scholly to ISU based on just so-so grades and being hispanic.
How long ago? I know they made changes to the diversity scholarship about 7-10 years ago. I know a family who all three kids went on full rides due to being half Hispanic and they would provide no diversity. You wouldnt know they were half Hispanic unless you knew the family background.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How long ago? I know they made changes to the diversity scholarship about 7-10 years ago. I know a family who all three kids went on full rides due to being half Hispanic and they would provide no diversity. You wouldnt know they were half Hispanic unless you knew the family background.
He started school this fall. I was surprised to hear it since I had no idea the guy (father) had any hispanic heritage.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Sounds like my wife needs to change her name to Juanita, and my daughter to Maria.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I figured you would notice how quickly he picked up Spanish in high school...

;)
Well I traveled a lot back when he was conceived so I've always suspected. Considering how good he is at golf it really makes me nervous. I'm too scared to go to 23andme, but maybe for this kind of money...

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Is $11.50 for what is essentially a massive buffet a lot? Seems below average to me.

Not sure what the $11.50 reference is to, my daughter lived in MWL as a first year and the dining hall on the ground floor there had tons of options and the meal plan prices were pretty reasonable.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
How old are MLW? They seemed dated when I was on campus in the early 90’s. I went Greek but had several friends that lived in Willow and Barton Hall was even more ancient.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The meal plans cost about 22/day. Cheap if you eat a lot. Expensive if you go with basic breakfast and lunch or go home/eat out on weekends.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013

That person you know isn't giving you the full story. It isn't that easy. There are programs, like Science Bound, that do offer full ride scholarships to racial minorities but students are typically recruited and in that program well before enrollment. There is no scholarship that just looks at race and automatically grants full ride scholarship.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That person you know isn't giving you the full story. It isn't that easy. There are programs, like Science Bound, that do offer full ride scholarships to racial minorities but students are typically recruited and in that program well before enrollment. There is no scholarship that just looks at race and automatically grants full ride scholarship.
That's good to know because I was disappointed with the number of good students who struggle to pay for college while here is a crappy student who gets in based on distant family ethnicity.

Help Support Us

Become a patron