Sonoma Valley - Wine Tour Suggestions

nb06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2007
My girlfriend and I will be spending a week in the San Fran area during the first week in Sept for a little vacation. We will be leaving Sunday after the Tulsa game on Saturday.

We are looking to spend a day, maybe two in the Sonoma Valley. We would like to get hooked up with a chartered tour so we don't have to drive and plan, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips for us???

Thanks in advance!!

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
My girlfriend and I will be spending a week in the San Fran area during the first week in Sept for a little vacation. We will be leaving Sunday after the Tulsa game on Saturday.

We are looking to spend a day, maybe two in the Sonoma Valley. We would like to get hooked up with a chartered tour so we don't have to drive and plan, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Don't know if what your looking for exists in Sonoma--have been there literally dozens of times, never saw a chartered tour.

You may just want to rent a Limo and a driver for the day--several companies specialize in Sonoma Valley wine tasting day trips. Your hotel should be able to point you in the direction of a good one. And you don't have to worry about driving after a day of tasting.

Highly recommend the tour and tasting at Cline--it will be one of the first wineries you come to in the Sonoma Valley. Great place, lovely gardens, usually have live music.

Enjoy!

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
I just did Healdsburg about 2 months ago. Cheaper than the napa types but just as fun and the same experience. If you want some places for reference in that area PM me.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
If you're looking to get in as many wine tastings as possible start earlier. I would start with the smaller family wineries such as Larson Family Winery, and then work your way up to the bigger ones. Go up through Sonoma, and then come back down through Napa Valley.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
You may just want to rent a Limo and a driver for the day--several companies specialize in Sonoma Valley wine tasting day trips. Your hotel should be able to point you in the direction of a good one. And you don't have to worry about driving after a day of tasting.

This is a good idea if you do not want to drive yourself around and reeeeeally get a good amount of tasting in for the day. I googled "sonoma limo wine tours" and several options came up. I don't know which ones will depart from San Francisco, but it will give you a good idea of what to expect if nothing else. There are several that I remember seeing in pamphlets the last couple of times I was out visiting, but couldn't tell you which ones were which. As I said, it will give you a good place to start thinking about what you'd like.

And don't hesitate to ask Hawkeye11en1. We communicated about his trip out there and he found a lot of stuff that sounded really interesting in various parts of Sonoma County.

Last edited:

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
The wife and I were in Sonoma in early June for a wine tasting trip. If you haven't found lodging, check out the Inn at Sonoma, a nice little boutique hotel.

Once you figure out how you are getting around, go to Ledson Winery just north of Sonoma and ask for the sommelier named Anthony. He will walk you through the steps of how to taste wine and to recognize the various flavor profiles. You will also taste some great wines there. Chateau St. Jean, St. Francis, Landmark, and Kunde are all within a couple of miles of each other and adjacent to Ledson. All have good wines predominantly Chardonnays, Cabernets, and Zinfandels.

If you have a second day to spend tasting, I would suggest the Russian River appellation, along with Dry Creek. You can taste some terrific Pinot Noirs there as well as Chardonnays and Zins. Check out Gary Farrell and Joseph Swan (need an appointment there) for terrific Pinots. Dry Creek Vineyards and Dutchers Crossing are also a couple of favorites. Martinelli has great Zins if they have any to sample.

Before you go check out each winery on their website and if you have a Visa Signature card use it as many wineries in Sonoma County give better tasting deals when the card is used. Check it out on the Visa Signature website.

Have a great time!

Last edited:

ZeaMaize

Dec 5, 2011
605 Via Horquilla, Palos

Thanks in advance!!

You have to go to Muir Woods if you have never seen it. Not in Sonoma; but close.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Email John Viszlay at Visplay Vineyards. They are just south an east of Healsdburg. John will take care of you.