Sooo, 2023 football schedule?

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
What exactly should all be expected here with the new teams arriving? Is that going to be announced soon? I’m used to next years schedule coming out soon. Unlike past years, we have no idea who exactly we’re playing.

Is it confirmed we’re still playing 9 conference games? Or is a switch to 8 possible still?

psychlones

Jun 13, 2006
Ames, IA
There’s no way they are playing less conference games.
Generally speaking I'm sure you're right. You want all the content you can get for your media contract, and you want to show your media partners moving forward that you're as cooperative as possible.

However, for the next two years having 14 teams in the league, there technically would be a little bit of wiggle room.

Right now 10 teams all play each other, for a total of 45 conference regular season games each season.

With the 14 teams for the next two seasons (assuming no changes in the OuT plan):
8 game schedule means 56 regular season games​
9 game schedule means 63 regular season games​

Both scenarios give more content than there currently is, so I guess you could argue for the 8 game schedule, although again I agree this won't happen.

Moving forward with 12 teams:
8 game schedule means 48 conference games​
9 game schedule means 54 conference games​

All scenarios provide at least a little bit more content than we currently have to offer, which is a good thing.

And if my numbers are incorrect, feel free to correct me... this stuff always seems so simple, but I often get tripped up on some details.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
What exactly should all be expected here with the new teams arriving? Is that going to be announced soon? I’m used to next years schedule coming out soon. Unlike past years, we have no idea who exactly we’re playing.

Is it confirmed we’re still playing 9 conference games? Or is a switch to 8 possible still?

Think I heard they’re on track for a release sometime in November.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
pretty sure yormack said we'd stick to 9 conf games with protected rivalries

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Wasn’t that basketball he talked about with those?

I get the argument for 9. But it’s kind of a bummer to continuously only play Iowa, an FCS, and a MAC school for non con year in and year out.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Being that we are 3-4 right now and will likely be underdogs every ge from here on our, not sure why we would want to remove an FCS punching bag from our schedule. Wins are tough to come by at ISU even in the good times, take the easy ones when you can.
I hope all of college football goes away from playing fcs. Those games typically suck.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

The 2023 schedule, which could come as soon as early November, according to Yormark, will include a nine-game league slate with all Big 12 teams playing each other at least once over a two-year period.

who knows what happens after OU/TX leave.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Being that we are 3-4 right now and will likely be underdogs every ge from here on our, not sure why we would want to remove an FCS punching bag from our schedule. Wins are tough to come by at ISU even in the good times, take the easy ones when you can.
Iowa has feasted on weak schedules, hell they might end up 8-4 or 7-5 this year and not beat anyone of consequence. Go to a good bowl game and increase recruiting.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Iowa has feasted on weak schedules, hell they might end up 8-4 or 7-5 this year and not beat anyone of consequence. Go to a good bowl game and increase recruiting.
8-4 for Iowa this year is not happening. They’re also toast when usc and ucla join the west. Program is on the rapid decline. Who would want to play WR, QB, or even RB there now?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

I hope we keep the old Big8 as permanent rivals (OSU, KSU, KU). Beyond that, not too bothered.

With 12 teams, that 9 game schedule... I bet they have 3 permanent rivals (based on history and/or geography) and then you play the other 6 of the other 8 teams every year. You rotate the 2 "skips" of the 8 over a 4 year cycle. That seems pretty clean. If you go with more protected rivals, it gets to be divisions almost and feel like the old Big12 setup with an extra game.

What they do with 14, I have no idea.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
8-4 for Iowa this year is not happening. They’re also toast when usc and ucla join the west. Program is on the rapid decline. Who would want to play WR, QB, or even RB there now?

That program is in decline. KF has lost his fire and is in total defensive mode. He is just hanging on now long enough to get his buyout, now that he has given up on handing the Moon Family Head Coaching job to Brain.

I mean, there's a chance Brain gets a "promotion" and goes to be a position coach in the NFL again, and they bring someone in. But I doubt it, nothing Kirk has done lately makes me think he is doing anything but getting the last juice out of the squeeze.

Reactions: exCYtable

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I think Iowa has a few more losses coming tbh...they undoubtedly have a great defense, but their offense is so much worse than it normally is (and their past offenses have not been great either). They still have to play Purdue, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. And ironically enough, I could see Nebraska beating them too

Reactions: Jdk and exCYtable