Sound off

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Just curious, did anyone actually watch soundoff to confirm what was said in the OP was accurate?

I find it hard to believe that not one caller called in to talk about cyclone football.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Iowa has more fans because they have the tavern crowd who have no true affiliation to either university.
And? They are the morons that call the sound off shows and help then sell ad space. Not that hard to see.
ISU has had one of the worst historical football records in the Big 12, yet we have the largest football stadium in the new Big 12. Why? Because there is no fan base that's more dedicated than Cyclone Nation.
I could show you pictures of me in the parking lot in the early 90s with almost nobody around. The stadium was 20,000 people most weeks. Then came Troy Davis, then Mac, then we beat the Hawks finally. Then we got an AD and ISU president that understood we needed football success. Once we succeeded, our fan base grew. Just like you'd expect. Sure, we travel and support them big time now, but we aren't as special as most think. We supported success that finally came. I was one that supported through the lean years and probably why I get so upset with those that bash players and coaches.
If Iowa had to play our football schedule year after year, their record would be very mediocre and their stadium would be half empty.
Maybe so, but it hasn't been that. So I'm explaining the reality not arguing what ifs.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just curious, did anyone actually watch soundoff to confirm what was said in the OP was accurate?

I find it hard to believe that not one caller called in to talk about cyclone football.

I mean, i'd believe it but only because they don't take anywhere near as many calls as they used to back in the day

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
He said on his show this afternoon that he understood why South Carolina jumped Iowa because they had 2 very impressive wins. The confirmation bias in this thread is hilarious.
But also followed it up with a thinly veiled shot at Dawn Staley’s tendency to be outspoken.
Also find it equally hilarious you’re calling out confirmation bias on a fan message board.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I respect Murph and the work he does. I told him that when I saw him at the Kansas game. I don’t watch that program due to the heavy Hawk lean. I’m pretty sure Murphys son goes there and his wife is a Hawk so I get it but it’s not a program ISU fans should support. Would they get more viewers if it was balanced, probably, but it won’t change any time soon. If you are still watching this I’m honestly perplexed.
I only watch sometimes after an Iowa loss, but even then most of the time I just forget its even on. It’s the same with AM Iowa sports talk radio shows

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I mean, i'd believe it but only because they don't take anywhere near as many calls as they used to back in the day
^ This is true. I used to watch pretty faithfully when it was still Andy, not Sears. I have tuned in a handful of times the last 4-5 years, and seems like they have maybe 3 calls the entire show?

I found the dynamic between Murph and Andy (and Hassel, back in the day) to be highly entertaining. Nowadays, I still like listening to Murph and Andy on the radio when I get a chance for that reason. But Sunday night soundoff? Meh at best.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I haven't watched in YEARS and only did a couple times before that. It's always been a Hawk call-in show and always will be. My guess is most of the fans that call in are ones that know the least about football and sports in general outside of their Hawkeye bubble.

And I'm guessing Murphy is still jerking it to CC's latest whatever.

Help Support Us

Become a patron