South Carolina

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
My women's basketball viewership is pretty well limited to Iowa St games, for those that have watched South Carolina play what kind of team are they? I'm assuming they are an athletic and physically dominating team like a Texas or Baylor based on knowing Boston is an elite post and their biggest strength is their defense.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Let’s worry about creighton first.
If we were on the team sure, but I always like looking at regional or 1/2 round pods for potential matchups in the men's or women's tournament. I'd ask about North Carolina, but am assuming there are even fewer people who have watched their games

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
South Carolina is not unbeatable but they would be a massive matchup challenge.

Honestly we would have to hope we catch them on one of those few off days they have shown they can have. And of course shoot the three really well.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
South Carolina is not unbeatable but they would be a massive matchup challenge.

Honestly we would have to hope we catch them on one of those few off days they have shown they can have. And of course shoot the three really well.
Is Texas a good comp (with the addition of the elite talent in Boston)?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If we were on the team sure, but I always like looking at regional or 1/2 round pods for potential matchups in the men's or women's tournament. I'd ask about North Carolina, but am assuming there are even fewer people who have watched their games
NC has a woman from Waukee on it. Watched their hame last night

Reactions: KennyPratt42

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
My women's basketball viewership is pretty well limited to Iowa St games, for those that have watched South Carolina play what kind of team are they? I'm assuming they are an athletic and physically dominating team like a Texas or Baylor based on knowing Boston is an elite post and their biggest strength is their defenseSouth
Boston would be a matchup nightmare for Iowa State. With that being said, South Carolina isn’t an offensive juggernaut. They lost on the road to a short-handed Missouri team without its best player. They were also upset in the SEC Tournament championship by an underachieving Kentucky team. Would be interesting to see what Fennelly could come up with for a gameplan.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
My perception is that SC is a better, tougher version of Baylor or Texas - but we hung with each of them once.

Fun little WBB stat - ISU averages over 12 made 3s (>40%) in wins and under 6 made 3s (<30%) in losses.

but more importantly - we average under 20 attempts in losses and over 30 attempt in wins. that's a HUGE discrepancy.

that's a bit of a chicken-and-egg stat - do we take fewer 3s because of better defense or do we take fewer 3s because we are missing them?

It seems like we often start driving when we can't get (or make) open 3s - but then against these teams we end up missing layup after layup.

in my opinion they need to focus on putting up as many threes as possible if we play SC - and don't get sucked into driving into the middle of the defense and getting swallowed up. Shoot 40 3s and see how it turns out!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Boston would be a matchup nightmare for Iowa State. With that being said, South Carolina isn’t an offensive juggernaut. They lost on the road to a short-handed Missouri team without its best player. They were also upset in the SEC Tournament championship by an underachieving Kentucky team. Would be interesting to see what Fennelly could come up with for a gameplan.

Physically, they could overwhelm our squad though.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My women's basketball viewership is pretty well limited to Iowa St games, for those that have watched South Carolina play what kind of team are they? I'm assuming they are an athletic and physically dominating team like a Texas or Baylor based on knowing Boston is an elite post and their biggest strength is their defense.

At the end of the day I wouldn't be surprised if ISU beating SC would be considered a bigger upset than Creighton beating Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
Kansas State lost to them 65-44 in the SEC/ Big 12 Challenge. Boston had 21 points while Lee had 14. KSU only scored 5 points in the 2Q.