Southern Cal in trouble

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I looked and didn't see anything posted, merge if needed.

I was watching ESPN and it sounds like the NCAA is going to come down hard on Southern Cal. Not good timing if UT and OU move west!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I looked and didn't see anything posted, merge if needed.

I was watching ESPN and it sounds like the NCAA is going to come down hard on Southern Cal. Not good timing if UT and OU move west!

Could also be why the Pac-10 is itchin' to get some kind of merger/expansion completed. One of their key players might be going out of commission for awhile...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm amazed that the NCAA is doing anything before Reggie Bush retires. :jimlad: I thought it would be another 7-8 years if ever.

The sad thing is that the guys who got the benefits (Reggie, his coaches and teammates*) are not the ones who get punished. It would be better if the NCAA got off it's hump and took care of these things right away, right after they happen.

*His coaches and teammates had the benefit of an ineligible player bolstering their lineup resulting in potentially more wins.

Reactions: guitarchitect7

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Could also be why the Pac-10 is itchin' to get some kind of merger/expansion completed. One of their key players might be going out of commission for awhile...

This was the take that Cowherd had on Monday, get UT in the Pac-10 to deflect from USC and keep the revenue stream up coming into new TV negotiations.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Who had that quote? "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to penalize Cleveland State."?

Just seems appropriate here....

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No one has made a joke about it being Southern Cal in Lake City, IA? Cmon guys...

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I just figured it was a matter of time as soon as Ole Petey jumped ship. He had a very young, very talented group of kids there. On top of that, of all the offers he's probably gotten over the last five years, he picks to the one to go to an aging team with marginal talent as it is? Everyone and their dog had to know something was going to happen when he made that decision.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Like Cowherd said this morning, if they want to hurt them they will put a post season ban on them for 4+ years. Anything less won't hurt them that much. If it is just scholarships, they will have 4 really good players at RB instead of 8. I agree with this. 2 years of ban and 10 scholarships a year for 4 years won't do it. I can't wait to see what they actually do.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm curious about the Heisman thing. If the Trust finds Reggie to be "retroactively" guitly and pull his title, does that get shifted to Vince Young? Or is there just not a winner for the 2005 season?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm curious about the Heisman thing. If the Trust finds Reggie to be "retroactively" guitly and pull his title, does that get shifted to Vince Young? Or is there just not a winner for the 2005 season?

I thought I heard on Dan Patrick or something that the Heisman Committee has already decided they're not going to strip the Heisman.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I doubt the Heisman Committee wants to face a similar situation to the Brian Cushing Fiasco. The AP ended up with a lot of egg on their face when that was said and done.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Unless USC facilitated the relationship with Bush and this PR guy, what does it have to do with them? I think it's a little ridiculous blaming them for Bush's own personal mistakes.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
reggiebushcheated.gif