Speeding down Beach and Ash

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
People disagreed with my assertion that the majority of the speeders were female. The current ratio is 5:1. And it is probably higher!

Female drivers:
DYR-*** - white Buick
MAX BEN - white GMC
EJN -*** - white Toyota
EEJ-*** - white Pontiac
WGLF71 - red VW

Male driver:
GUYNOLS

And I didn't catch the female's lic# on her phone who almost rear-ended a car slowing down for a garage sale.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
He's not saying women are bad drivers. He's saying the majority of people he has seen speed down these roads are women. There are a couple sororities on Ash and quite a few women live on Beach as well.

There are three times as many fraternities (9) as sororities (3) on Ash, so that logic makes no sense. Sororities are also closed during the summer.

• Dislike
Reactions: CloneFan4

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
People disagreed with my assertion that the majority of the speeders were female. The current ratio is 5:1. And it is probably higher!

Female drivers:
DYR-*** - white Buick
MAX BEN - white GMC
EJN -*** - white Toyota
EEJ-*** - white Pontiac
WGLF71 - red VW

Male driver:
GUYNOLS

And I didn't catch the female's lic# on her phone who almost rear-ended a car slowing down for a garage sale.

This is some serious dedication

Wonder how those women would feel about learning their license plate numbers have been posted on a message board?

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
On one hand I hate people that speed through residential neighborhoods, but on the other hand I kind of want to do it just one time just to get on pdxclones' list.

I want to drive the speed limit and see if I still make his list since he seems to have it out for female drivers. :confused: I do go about 5 over on Stange consistently but on Duff up by the golf course I usually stick close to the posted 30 because I got pulled over one summer 22 years ago. I also have two kids who think it is fun to state the posted speed limit and then check to see if I am “breaking the law”. I try to prove them wrong and actually drive the speed limit. :p

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Outside of the young male drivers who tend to have a testosterone "problem" I think more women do speed than men. You'll always have the men who drive giant trucks like a maniac (see brother in law) but for just everyday speeding I get passed far more often by soccer moms in SUV's. I know of one around here who admittedly drives way too fast and gets pulled over all the time but talks her way out. My mom, however, appears to have been an exception and she drives a ton and was one of the better drivers I know. She is losing it a little as she gets older but just drove a giant SUV 2,000 miles with no problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdxclone

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
I want to drive the speed limit and see if I still make his list since he seems to have it out for female drivers. :confused: I do go about 5 over on Stange consistently but on Duff up by the golf course I usually stick close to the posted 30 because I got pulled over one summer 22 years ago. I also have two kids who think it is fun to state the posted speed limit and then check to see if I am “breaking the law”. I try to prove them wrong and actually drive the speed limit. :p

Data is substantiated by the partial license plates. You are free to interpret the facts any way that fits your narrative.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
lack of using your turn signals are the biggest pet peeve everywhere, and create dangerous situations.

While my father was still alive, he could never understand why we would get on him about using his turn signal to head down the gravel road to our house. He would always respond, "Everybody knows I turn here. I have turned here for 40 years!" Insert our collective face palm.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Today is a time that I worry about with all the RAGBRAI riders and support vehicles in town. Hope everyone just slows down and takes extra precautions.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Today is a time that I worry about with all the RAGBRAI riders and support vehicles in town. Hope everyone just slows down and takes extra precautions.
I think the RAGBRAI organizers in Ames (Cycle Power, City of Ames, ISU, etc.) did a great job in keeping the route safe for riders. It still confuses me how we still had cars driving north on Beach in the bike lane and bikers riding down the sidewalks where cones were clearly marking the street as a bike lane.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
I want to give a shoutout to the university employee who stopped today to apologize for hitting 50 mph down Beach yesterday. I appreciate him being a stand-up guy and recognizing he should slow down in the area.

I cannot say anything good about others though; especially H3LLCAT in a blue/white stripe Mustang or Cobra. After doing a little research, I found 3 of the repeat offenders live on Gaskill Dr.

Dark Blue/Black Ford Escape GAN-***
Red Compact CYTASFY
Compact GOIN4CY
Black Jeep IAM4CY
Black Jeep DAV-652

And the biggest offender is a female in a dark blue Grand Cherokee AZC-647. You almost hit me as I stood on the curb. You barely stopped at the stop sign.