Speeding Ticket Question

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
I recently got a speeding ticket in Illinois:sad:. I do not have a lot of experience in this area so I thought I would see if anyone knew anything about fighting them. I for sure was speeding but I had heard somewhere that if the cop makes a typo about your personal information then the ticket is null and void. He put down my birthday as 1-21 instead of 1-12. Does anyone know if that is true? If it's not, I will just pay it because I haven't had a ticket for 5 years and it was only $75, but I thought if I could get out of it, might as well, right?

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Tickets years ago were dismissed for small errors but that is not the case anymore.

You got caught. Take your lumps and move on.

dundermifflin

Nov 14, 2007
I don't know about that, but I do know you can take a class and remove 1 ticket a year in Illinois. I took remote class in ankeny for a speeding ticket I received in Illinois.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
I don't know about that, but I do know you can take a class and remove 1 ticket a year in Illinois. I took remote class in ankeny for a speeding ticket I received in Illinois.

This is exactly right - if you can do this, DO IT!!! It's worth the extra $35 to keep it off your record and away from insurance companies.

How long does a ticket stay on your record?

You need to ask your insurance company how far they check back, but usually, once you're a customer, it's a year to year thing for them...

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
a typo on a traffic ticket isn't really a defense. you'll end up wasting your time and paying more if you contest it. why bother. you're admittedly guilty and it's only $75. in my experience, speeding tickets in wisconsin start at $200.

I recently got a speeding ticket in Illinois:sad:. I do not have a lot of experience in this area so I thought I would see if anyone knew anything about fighting them. I for sure was speeding but I had heard somewhere that if the cop makes a typo about your personal information then the ticket is null and void. He put down my birthday as 1-21 instead of 1-12. Does anyone know if that is true? If it's not, I will just pay it because I haven't had a ticket for 5 years and it was only $75, but I thought if I could get out of it, might as well, right?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I got out of a ticket once because the cop scheduled the court date for a holiday. I was all ready to fight it but then they dismissed it.

I agree with the others, though. A minor typo on a birthdate is not going to get them to toss it. Pay the fine and move on.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
How about you just admit you broke the law, pay the fine and try not to get caught again?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
It depends on how far back you want to look. ISU looks at the past year to determine if someone can drive a university vehicle, I think most insurance companies look at the past 2 or 3 years or more. Citations, I believe, are sealed after 7 years but they are always there.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I had a relative get a ticket dismissed because his birthday was recorded wrong. He showed up to court, and they had no record of him.

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
How about you just admit you broke the law, pay the fine and try not to get caught again?

I tried not to get caught the first time!:wink:

I think I am going to look into taking the class, but I also might not because I don't suspect I will get caught speeding too much more in the future, I usually don't speed....well, atleast no more than 5 over.:wideeyed:

Thanks everyone for your help!

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
I drove to Chicago from Iowa City every week for 3 years. I typically pegged the cruise at 7.5mph over the speed limit. Got pulled over a couple times on 88, but no tickets.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I fought a ticket. The cop didn't show up and I ended up making a deal for a very small ticket.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I've had 2 pull overs in my time driving. First in my first year I was caught going 78 in a 55, yeah I was just glad the cop lowered it to 73 so I didn't loose my license.
The second was for a me rolling slowly thru a stop sign(it was a T interesection with 1 part being a little used gravel road, I figured it wouldn't be a big deal). I fortunately got out of that one because the guy had used up his entire ticketpad. He took down some details anyways and said if I got caught speeding in Humboldt county again that I'd end up with double tickets. Not sure if thats legal or not but I was just happy to get out of there with a warning.

Not to completely hijack the thread but on your typical road how fast do you go? Me its 62/3 on 2 lane. 75 on interstate, possibly higher depending on flow of traffic.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Hmm rolling through a stop sign at a T intersection coming off of a gravel road? Only written warning I got was from doing that exact same thing (minus the slowly part... I deserved a ticket)

Pretty sure I wasn't in the guy's jurisdiction though (The middle of the road divides jurisdictions I believe), which is why he pulled me over 2 stop signs later, after I knew it was a cop and I stopped for a good long time...

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
If you were barely over, a speeding ticket probably won't affect your rates. I had 2 speeding tickets for about 11 and 12 (just keeping up with the flow of traffic) over with no affect on my insurance rates.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Hmm rolling through a stop sign at a T intersection coming off of a gravel road? Only written warning I got was from doing that exact same thing (minus the slowly part... I deserved a ticket)

Pretty sure I wasn't in the guy's jurisdiction though (The middle of the road divides jurisdictions I believe), which is why he pulled me over 2 stop signs later, after I knew it was a cop and I stopped for a good long time...

Actually the gravel road doesn't have a stop sign, 1 of the paved roads does. Dumb signing if you ask me.