Sports Pet Peeves

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
What are some of your pet peeves with sports, not just football? I would say as a fan but if you had any as a player feel free to add those as well.

-Watching baseball and having the pitcher try to pick off someone on first base three or four times in a row.

-A no-huddle offense running up to the line only to stop and look at the sidelines.

-The guy who stands up and tries to get the crowd into it on 3rd and short. Yes, I get it buddy, be loud. I already have been.

What you got?

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Playing golf with someone that takes 5 minutes deciding what club to hit, then proceeding to chunk it 15 yards....

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
Playing golf with someone that takes 5 minutes deciding what club to hit, then proceeding to chunk it 15 yards....
In the same vein I hate it when golfing with someone that takes 10 practice swings on each and every hit.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
As a wrestling fan, when someone loses and they storm off the mat, angrily hitting, kicking, etc. Use that energy on the mat, this sideshow is doing nothing to make it any better.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013

In the same vein I hate it when golfing with someone that takes 10 practice swings on each and every hit.

YES! My friend takes so long to get lined up, take his 3 practice swings, and then hits the ball 10 yard. Repeat 18 times.

He probably shoots like 60ish at a course like Willow Creek and he asked me the other day to golf Honey Creek in Boone with him.

I don't have near the patience to deal with that.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Guys who have to flex and dance after making a big hit/tackle after giving up a 5+ yard gain. In the same vein, guys who continue to talk and taunt when down by 17.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
As a player, meaning for fun or rec leagues, when you have a player or team take it WAY too seriously and nitpick on every very minor move of their teammate or infraction the other team does, especially when they absolve themselves of any issue. I'm a competitive player, however I at least recognize the level of play and which violations are major vs minor.

As a fan, I hate the following:
Football - prevent defense - seems my teams usually give up the scores and lose when they bring that out on the field.
Basketball - running down the clock (when the other team still has time) to not setup a play and chuck up a junk shot.
Baseball - the lefty vs righty matchups. I hate it when player A has been hot, gets yanked due to lefty vs righty, then brings in someone cold who does nothing. At least Homer took the game winning bean when Mr Burns did that to Strawberry.
Golf - the anal fans at home who contact the PGA to catch players in minor unknown infractions
Hockey - people who only watch the games for the fights

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Guys who have to flex and dance after making a big hit/tackle after giving up a 5+ yard gain. In the same vein, guys who continue to talk and taunt when down by 17.
So, you mean Aaron White during our destruction of the Hoks last year?

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012

When I'm playing in a preferred ball and ask someone what yardage they think they hit and they tell me the club they hit. This doesn't help me because we are not the same player!

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
LeBron whining and pouting EVERY GAME when he doesn't get a call that he thinks he should, or when the ref calls a foul on him.

ADJLyoC.gif

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Flopping. It's been bad at times in soccer, but the refs in the best leagues are doing a better job of not falling for it. I'd still like to see more cards given out to blatant flops (yes they can do that.) And flopping is progressively getting worse in the NBA. The NFL even has it's small amount of it. The only major sports I don't see it in really is NHL (these guys are just too BA for the most part) or MLB (not a game with much contact/need for flopping.)

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
There's also that guy in the stands who constantly tries to predict the playcalling for a team to show how wise he is and misses 9/10 times. Then when he finally gets one prediction right he proclaims he could run the team better because of how predictable the coach is.