Sportssoundoff

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I too missed Soundoff after graduating and moving out of the Des Moines/Ames market... and then I discovered that they stream it live on the WHO website. So you CAN watch Soundoff every Sunday night like the ol' days.

Seriously?? That's awesome.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I used to watch the show religiously. Now that Murph and Andy have a radio show, which is probably 200x better then SoundOff, I rarely watch SoundOff.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Love it. Pretty sure Murph is a Cyclone fan. Kinda can just tell. He gives the Hawks alot of ****.

I absolutely love it and since I now live in Eastern Iowa, I listen to the podcasts from their website after-the-fact. As for Murph being a Cyclone fan, it is tough to exactly tell, but I think he leans more that way. What I do know is that Murph's wife is an ISU alum and big Cyclone fan, so maybe that rubs off on him some. However, if I went by my own logic there, then I would be a Husker fan because my wife is an alum and big fan, and that I am NOT!!!

WAP311

Jul 17, 2012
Waukee
I love the show during football/basketball season. I hardly watch during the summer when there is not much to discuss. The best part is that is that it rolls right into Buck the Outdoorsman. That is a jingle that will forever be burned into my brain.

Reactions: ElephantPie

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
The callers are short bus graduates. The rest of it is good, what I've seen of it.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I'll go with 70% like, 30% love

They'd bump up the love factor if they cut down on the skits that only have hassel and have nothing to do with the theme of the show... those are usually pretty terrible

Reactions: ElephantPie

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
You don't realize how lucky you are.. I live out of state and would love to be able to watch Soundoff every Sunday night like the ol' days.

My vote: Loved it.

This times 100. Living in Omaha, they have a show by the same name on Sunday nights. Whenever I'm flipping through the guide I get all excited like WTF we have Sound Off now? Then get severally disappointed.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I love the show during football/basketball season. I hardly watch during the summer when there is not much to discuss. The best part is that is that it rolls right into Buck the Outdoorsman. That is a jingle that will forever be burned into my brain.

I always wanted a breakdown of viewership when it comes to how long after the show and into the Buck McNealy song people lasted. I think I always turned after the John Walters sounding guy says "The Outdoorsman, presented by" click.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I always wanted a breakdown of viewership when it comes to how long after the show and into the Buck McNealy song people lasted. I think I always turned after the John Walters sounding guy says "The Outdoorsman, presented by" click.
Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately gets ****** when The Outdoorsman starts to play after sound off. I think the longest I have let the outdoorsman play before turning it off or turning the channel is literally 20 seconds.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I will never forget the soundoff show after ISU beat Iowa the first time after Iowa's run of 14 or 15. The Iowa meltdown reached epic proportions.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I generally sing that song to my wife, then it goes off.

maui6651

Sep 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Seriously?? That's awesome.
This is the link I used during football/basketball season. Haven't been watching since April. Live Streaming | WHOTV.com ? Des Moines news & weather from WHO Television

I absolutely love it and since I now live in Eastern Iowa, I listen to the podcasts from their website after-the-fact. As for Murph being a Cyclone fan, it is tough to exactly tell, but I think he leans more that way. What I do know is that Murph's wife is an ISU alum and big Cyclone fan, so maybe that rubs off on him some. However, if I went by my own logic there, then I would be a Husker fan because my wife is an alum and big fan, and that I am NOT!!!
I don't think either of them leans too far one way or the other, but rather they like seeing both teams do well. I think they're a little harder on Iowa generally, but I get the impression part of that is a professional thing (they've mentioned that ISU is much more accommodating of the media). They have both had some pretty good moments of Cyclone fandom though, with Andy having some hilarious tweets during/after the OSU game and I'm pretty sure Keith said he and a group of people took a limo from Des Moines to Ames to meet the team after the Texas win a couple years ago. Alcohol may have influenced both of those stories, if I remember right.

After re-reading that paragraph, I may listen to their show too much...:unsure:

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
:twitcy:
I'll go with 70% like, 30% love

They'd bump up the love factor if they cut down on the skits that only have hassel and have nothing to do with the theme of the show... those are usually pretty terrible

AdamO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 28, 2010
Ankeny
You can also stream their kxno radio show live through the website or the iheartradio app on smartphones. Even though I work from home in Ames, I don't have a decent enough AM radio to pick up 1460 over the air, so I just load the website stream at 2pm everyday.

The TV show is great, but often feels rushed as a collection of segments. The radio show format and daily frequency really allows them to stretch out and dive in on the topics of the day, mostly sports but other stuff too. Only part I could do without is the Hey Tana segments...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
the callers are so awful it is unreal I don't know how anybody could stand it.