Spotted Cow

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of Fat Squirrel at all. From the looks of it, I'm in the minority. It's not that it's a bad beer, it's just that I don't care much for brown ales.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
This past summer I bought a 6 of "Two Women" and a 6 of "Totally Naked"...something perverted about that purchase? I don't personally think so...

"Totally Naked" is a good summer beer...refreshing. I do like "Two Women" as well...but think "Spotted Cow" is very over-rated!

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
View attachment 29283

Had my first (and 6th) Spotted Cow last night. Been wanting to try for a while now.

Basically it was like going to a movie you've been waiting forever for and when you leave you're ******.

Its the best lawn mower beer. Great on a hot day. Otherwise I like about everything else they brew. My dad likes totally naked, I like two women. Mix em and you have a great night ;)

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Spotted Cow is a decent beer for what it is, but I can't remember the last time I bought a 6 pack to drink myself.

I'm a Moon Man fan first and foremost, but love most of their line up. In terms of bouncing from true to style, to successful experimentation and maintaining a high level of consistency, I think they're one of the best breweries in the nation. I've been on the Staghorn Oktoberfest pretty hard for the past month or so and don't get tired of it.

Spotted Cow is perhaps at it's best as a chaser for Del's Bloody Mary in downtown La Crosse. An absolutely perfect way to start a Saturday shopping excursion.

Agree my brother is good friends with the owners. They are really good down to earth people. We hung out with them on memorial day weekend a few years back and they brought a very good selection. They took us on a tour of the brewery in new Glarus too and very good local small operation. Why they won't sell outsiDE of wisconsin. Say they would lose the "demand and cult appeal as well as consistency".

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Agree my brother is good friends with the owners. They are really good down to earth people. We hung out with them on memorial day weekend a few years back and they brought a very good selection. They took us on a tour of the brewery in new Glarus too and very good local small operation. Why they won't sell outsiDE of wisconsin. Say they would lose the "demand and cult appeal as well as consistency".

That's pretty sweet. I definitely approve of their Wisconsin only stance. The law of exclusivity is alive and well in the beer world, and if the craft beer thing ever seriously wanes (at this point I think that's unlikely), they have a tried and true market that's been drinking their beer for 20 years.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Spotted Cow =ok
Moon Man = Good
Two Woman = Bad
Serendipity =Awesome
Raspberry Tart = Very Good

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I like Spotted Cow, but acknowledge (like others) that sometimes availability (I live in Madison) makes the heart grow less fond. Fat Squirrel is probably my favorite New Glarus beer, and I haven't tried a single other brew I didn't enjoy - which I can't say for all breweries.

All that said, one of my favorite beers (also a local beer) is Lake Louie APA (Arena, WI). Fantastic flavor and smoothness - enough hops to keep things interesting. If you're in SW Wisconsin, and a big beer fan - try Lake Louie. It's a gem of a brewery.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Also, I got married here in WI back in May. 3/5 of the guests were from Iowa. Had 3 kegs of Spotted Cow, 2 Coors. All the spotted cow was gone before the 1st Coors keg.

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
These threads always remind me of how subjective taste is. One person's "magical" is another person's "crap".

The New Glarus brewery is a nice stop for tour as they have a great outdoor lawn where you can drink your samples atop a hill with nice views.

My pick of the New Glarus lot: Fat Squirrel. Spotted Cow just does not do much for me.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
It's a good representation of the style. I always have a couple when I'm in Wisconsin. If you are looking for something mind blowing though, you just aren't going to find it in any Farmhouse/cream ale. They are meant to be light on the palette and thirst quenching.

I believe all the hype that comes from it is not only in it being WI only, but also that your bud light and miller lite drinkers can latch on to it and enjoy a craft beer.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
The thing is that any brewery needs to have a beer they can use as their flagship brew. This beer can't be too edgy in any particular direction. It needs to be good but nothing in particular. Sam A Boston Lager and New Belgium Fat Tire would be good examples. Spotted Cow fits this category. In WI, it's on tap everywhere. I'm sure they sell a lot of it. It's a decent beer and keep the brewery going and allows them to make their more experimental and riskier seasonals.

Accept it for what it is and enjoy it.