Spring Depth Chart

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I'm a little afraid of the RG starters...neither have game time listed in their player profiles

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I'm a little afraid of the RG starters...neither have game time listed in their player profiles

Well, Gannon played quite a bit last year and even started. And Dika played at the beginning of the year before he was injured. So those profiles must be off.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
What's with the "or" stuff? Name somebody and get them to compete.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
OK, why don't we just list co-starters at every position? Tell the players, you're the guy unless someone beats you out.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Things I like: 3 solid RS SR Dlinemen starting, mixed with SO Irving and a bunch of young talent for depth at all Dline positions.

LB talent and depth is pretty ridiculous. SAM is going to be basically that hybrid CB/LB again this year. I'm interested in what we will do when we go big with 3 true LBers instead of Morgan at SAM.

2 SRs and 2 RS JRs in the defensive secondary, and a bunch of young talent for depth. (A lot like the Dline).

All of our Olinemen are both young AND have a relatively good amount of game reps. Starting to see those from the talented first class get into more starting roles.

Wildcards: You never know who is going to step up at WR during any given game with this group. The guys from the 2 deeps minus Tiller and Brundrage are relatively known commodities barring any really significant improvement. Nobody is going to be first team all conference, but guys like Lenz, Gary, Horne, and J. West are reliable to catch the ball and all have decent playmaking ability except J. West who is exceptionally explosive.

The QB position is what it is. Hard to know how much each player will improve and who will win out in the end. One thing is certain, if ISU is going to be any good whoever wins needs to be deadly accurate on slants and bubble screens and just be at least average at every other throw. It is extremely nice to have two good players though since I can't even remember the last time ISU had a full season starting the same QB 12 games. Maybe Meyer?

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I'd be willing to guess that this point is driven home to the players from day one.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
OK, why don't we just list co-starters at every position? Tell the players, you're the guy unless someone beats you out.

Because some players have distinguished that they deserve the spot over the person below them. Some have not, and they get an OR next to their name. It is also a way to let a young player know that they are being seriously considered for a spot. That would motivate them. It is probably just too close a call to announce yet for the QB spot, or for the few backup positions it is used for right now.

I honestly don't understand what you don't get.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
You probably can't grasp this, but that's OK........ A depth chart is meant to say who would you start if you were to play today. If you try to say that we don't know until the season starts, put out a depth chart then. To say that the coaching staff doesn't know who has the edge at QB for example, based on what they know today, is not believable. Are you saying that JB and SJ don't both know they are being "seriously considered" as the starter for next year???
It seems like your saying they can't change the depth chart if someone really plays well in spring or fall ball.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
With the RB's and returning quality depth at OL the zone read could be a very productive weapon if Barnett improves his accuracy and arm strength.

Also would like to see some plays built off of using 3 RB's in the back field. Seemed to be effective but only saw a glimpse of it early in the season never to been seen again.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You probably can't grasp this, but that's OK........ A depth chart is meant to say who would you start if you were to play today. If you try to say that we don't know until the season starts, put out a depth chart then. To say that the coaching staff doesn't know who has the edge at QB for example, based on what they know today, is not believable. Are you saying that JB and SJ don't both know they are being "seriously considered" as the starter for next year???
It seems like your saying they can't change the depth chart if someone really plays well in spring or fall ball.

I bet they don't know. Do you honestly think the players are getting their pre-spring standing based off this? Doubtful. This is done for the fans. I am pretty confident, although no sources have told me this, that there will be competition for numerous spots. So, if they put Steele in as the starter, without knowing if he is and Barnett takes the spot, then they have to answer a bunch of BS about not only what JB did to take it but why SJ was named there anyway. This is not a hard concept and it's hardly unheard of before spring ball.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Interesting size changes--like Gannon going from 6'6" 294 to 6'7" 286. :wink:

Jevohn Miller lost a couple of inches--and Jake Knott found 'em!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
....This is done for the fans....So, if they put Steele in as the starter, without knowing if he is and Barnett takes the spot, then they have to answer a bunch of BS...........

I agree that this is done for the fans. That's why I don't like the 'or' stuff. Just name a starter, if it is for us.

Regarding having to answer about a bunch of BS, I don't think CPR worries about that too much. At least he didn't seem to when questioned about the QB situation after the bowl game.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Lol is this guy for real right now? They don't know who the starting QB is(among a few other positions), that is why it is listed as OR. There is an open competition for that spot. Other positions have someone who's clearly emerged such as Knott at LB. That doesn't mean he just takes a break now, hes still competing to keep his job, hes just more than likely going to keep it. Doesn't mean the ones that aren't listed as OR can't change, they just currently think thats the starter until proven otherwise.