STANZ: Freedom of movement is dead

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You know the old saying that "basketball is not a contact sport"?

Dad used to say basketball IS a CONTACT sport, but its NOT an IMPACT sport.

But refs are allowing the impact (ie running people over, riding ballhandlers, holding cutters, over the back, etc) and calling fouls on minor contact from the hand or arm (reach ins, arm extensions on off fouls, bringing your arm down on a shot).
Example: Ash (iirc) drove the right side of the lane jumped to take a lay up and got absolutely BODIED mid air and knocked to the ground. It was a tackle Eisworth would have been proud of. No call.
Next trip down, Ebo turned to shoot, Kane stood her ground, but brought her arms forward just a skoosh, having minimal contact and no effect on the shot. That was a foul.

The mens game isnt quite as bad. Holding cutters is the biggest issue there, imho. To a lesser extent, being in the ballhandlers "cylinder" which makes it hard to go where you want to go without initiating contact.

The womens game, idk. Texas was playing football vs ISU basketball, just a joke.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You know the old saying that "basketball is not a contact sport"?

Dad used to say basketball IS a CONTACT sport, but its NOT an IMPACT sport.

But refs are allowing the impact (ie running people over, riding ballhandlers, holding cutters, over the back, etc) and calling fouls on minor contact from the hand or arm (reach ins, arm extensions on off fouls, bringing your arm down on a shot).
Example: Ash (iirc) drove the right side of the lane jumped to take a lay up and got absolutely BODIED mid air and knocked to the ground. It was a tackle Eisworth would have been proud of. No call.
Next trip down, Ebo turned to shoot, Kane stood her ground, but brought her arms forward just a skoosh, having minimal contact and no effect on the shot. That was a foul.

The mens game isnt quite as bad. Holding cutters is the biggest issue there, imho. To a lesser extent, being in the ballhandlers "cylinder" which makes it hard to go where you want to go without initiating contact.

The womens game, idk. Texas was playing football vs ISU basketball, just a joke.
Even Harmon fighting through screens. She would grab and shove Ryan to get enough space to get herself around or not lose to much space.

For those there, Please don’t sell tickets to the whorns.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I don’t recall basketball being THIS physical growing up (including HS ball). A lot of what we are seeing in the college game is happening in the HS game as well. It seems that teams are pressing the boundaries of what they can get away with - forcing the refs to make a call knowing they can’t call everything.

I get there is a certain physicality to the game (that was generally what took place in the paint). Now it seems that physicality is extended to the half court line (or full court if you press). It more closely represents street ball (no blood, no foul) than the sport I grew up with. That’s a thought…..have the players call their own fouls!

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Even Harmon fighting through screens. She would grab and shove Ryan to get enough space to get herself around or not lose to much space.

For those there, Please don’t sell tickets to the whorns.
Ripped mine up. But seriously there wouldn’t be any buyers.

heard while leaving Municipal after the game yesterday.

PA announcer, “We will see you all back hear tomorrow for the championship game”.
ISU fan, “No you won’t. If the Big 12 wanted fans here tomorrow they would have used competent refs.”

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Stop and think of the ISU women's team, especially the Joens sisters. Think of the countless hours they have spent perfecting their craft. And they get sent home as losers because the Big12 refuses to enforce the rules as written. That's tragic.

As for Texas, their scumbag coach had his players thug and goon it up at Mississippi State, and he's doing the same in the Big12.

It is an insult to the game and the players.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
so you are good with this????

Wow I didn’t see that yesterday but that should have been a format 2 and easy ejection.

I’ve long said that the problem with Women's basketball is that they don’t officiate it well. When you allow stuff like yesterday it isn’t fun to watch.

You can even see when the change happened with Baylor. Mulkey was there and they were really good the first half of her tenure including winning a title but then around 2010 they started allowing them to play bully ball and they have dominated the league ever since.

People are right that it is a problem on the mens side too but at least on that side there seems to be enough to still overcome it sometimes.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
This is why refs get a bad rap. That game was officiated towards Texas and it was glaringly obvious. The refs knew coming into the game how Texas plays so they already had it in their head consciously or unconsciously what to expect. When their style of play matches what they see they don't call the fouls. When ISU tried to compete and match their physicality it goes against what the refs expect so it stands out and gets whistled.

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
Every year during the volleyball tournament people wonder why all the really tall athletic women play volleyball instead of basketball. This it why. Many of them are interviewed and say they grew up playing basketball but didn’t like the “physical” play so they chose volleyball. You also have the game announcers who condone and cheer it on during games.

MR82

Sep 12, 2021
Stop and think of the ISU women's team, especially the Joens sisters. Think of the countless hours they have spent perfecting their craft. And they get sent home as losers because the Big12 refuses to enforce the rules as written. That's tragic.

As for Texas, their scumbag coach had his players thug and goon it up at Mississippi State, and he's doing the same in the Big12.

It is an insult to the game and the players.
Totally agree. Would you want to continue to play if you took the beating they experienced?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t recall basketball being THIS physical growing up (including HS ball). A lot of what we are seeing in the college game is happening in the HS game as well. It seems that teams are pressing the boundaries of what they can get away with - forcing the refs to make a call knowing they can’t call everything.

I get there is a certain physicality to the game (that was generally what took place in the paint). Now it seems that physicality is extended to the half court line (or full court if you press). It more closely represents street ball (no blood, no foul) than the sport I grew up with. That’s a thought…..have the players call their own fouls!

80s Big East and NBA had elements although it may have been more of the pushing and shoving type of stuff.

The 'Jordan Rules' weren't just about sticking a hand in his face.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Everyone has a boss. Conference and NCAA make rules and control officials. Athletic Directors and Presidents control the conference and NCAA. I can’t imagine a majority of college presidents would support the way WBB is played if they we’re informed and held accountable. I’m writing Pollard and Wintersteen. If anyone can contact the Board of Regents- they might have thoughts about subjecting our girls to that level of violence.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The offensive fouls to me are the most infuriating. If you are going to let a defender push against and ride a player don't reward him or her when the player who has had to push back just to move around the court suddenly has a rag doll in front of him/her. It is is the same force the player has had to use to just get around the floor against resistance. The only difference is the resistance has suddenly been taken away. Those are the cheapest and dumbest fouls to call.

Reactions: whoooe

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
The rule book was written with the intent to keep the game civil. The contact that occurs in both women's/men's game is not with in the spirit of the rule book. I understand this is entertainment, but what I'm seeing is not entertaining.
I believe the media has to keep putting the issue out there. Players need to be protected! We expect good entertainment and by enforcing the rules, should bring fun for all-players and fans.

Jay Bilas has been very outspoken about this. I've heard him several times screaming - "THAT'S A FOUL - THAT HAS TO BE CALLED!"