Star Trek Universe Thread

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/star-trek-2-new-films-confirmed-official/

After seeing this latest article where the newly merged ViacomCBS CEO stated there are currently 2 new Star Trek movies in development, combined with the major ramp-up of Star Trek shows on the CBS Streaming app, I figured it was high time for Star Trek to finally get its own ongoing thread for any fans like myself out there.

With that said, it really seems like things are looking super bright for Star Trek fans right now with the biggest brightest of which being the merger of CBS and Viacom. That merger finally effectively solidifies the decently long separated TV and movie rights of Star Trek under one roof, meaning there can be much better fluidity and continuity between the two. This is what I've been wanting for a long time and has been the biggest hindrance in my eyes to Star Trek truly thriving in the modern media landscape. Marvel and Star Wars are currently paving the way as to what the new high-budget shared universe concept can look like, and I think Star Trek can thrive itself in its own way under the same landscape.

Everyone, feel free to jump in with your thoughts on anything Star Trek related. Hopefully the Star Trek world keeps expanding and thriving, which would likely mean this thread could really thrive too. I've got lots of thoughts myself on Discovery, Picard, what I think these two new movies are..... etc, but I'll save that stuff for later posts.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I think Discovery has been excellent, particularly Season 2. I absolutely cannot wait for Picard to start up. It’s a great time again to be a Star Trek fan!

If you haven’t yet, I’d recommend catching the Short Treks on CBS. Entertaining short stories, well worth your time.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and alarson

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The Picard series takes place after the destruction of Romulus, which if you remember Spock played a major role in trying to stop the sun from going supernova and ended up failing - and that creates the "JJ Abrams" cinematic timeline, so we're already going to get some tie-in between the movies and TV series.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...rts-picard-series-reveals-new-details-1174452

Now, Trek captain Alex Kurtzman is pulling back the curtain on the upcoming project, revealing that a cataclysmic event depicted in J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek movie impacted Picard in a big way. In that film, written by Kurtzman and former producing partner Roberto Orci, it was revealed that Nimoy's Spock failed to save the Romulan homeworld Romulus from a supernova several years after the events of Nemesis.

Now, Kurtzman — as part of a Creative Space interview with The Hollywood Reporter (posting Wednesday) — is ready to reveal one massive clue about the premise of his CBS All Access Picard effort, due in late 2019: "Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire," Kurtzman tells THR.

The Picard series will be the first onscreen Trek story set in the aftermath of that event, which would have altered the balance of power in the galaxy. The destruction of Romulus would also have extra resonance for Picard, who has a long and complicated relationship with the Romulans, the alien race that split from Vulcan society thousands of years ago and founded a separate civilization. The Romulans went on to control a portion of the galaxy, and the empire was in opposition to the Federation for all of Picard's career.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Even though I started this thread and am now very into Star Trek, I'll be the first to admit I'm still somewhat a rookie when it comes to Star Trek. I'm one of those late bloomers who never watched Star Trek growing up until finally giving the Trek world a shot with Abram's sequel/reboot in 2009, and absolutely loved it. The score for that movie is one of my all-time favorites. Due to my vast, well-document on here nerd interests, I've still yet to have the time to go back and watch any of the old stuff (likely won't), but have watched and enjoyed everything new since that 2009 movie. Therefore, I'm definitely going to be one of "those" Trek fans on here, and I get it. Hopefully it adds a little new perspective to some of you long-time fans, and hopefully you long-time fans can teach me a thing or two as well. I can probably think of no greater likely difference between myself and you long-time fans in the fact that I absolutely loved Into Darkness, whereas I'm sure most of you tend to disagree with me. In fact, if I had to rate my love for the newer movies, mine go sequentially in order with Star Trek first, followed by Into Darkness, then followed by Beyond. I really enjoyed all of them though.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think Discovery has been excellent, particularly Season 2. I absolutely cannot wait for Picard to start up. It’s a great time again to be a Star Trek fan!

If you haven’t yet, I’d recommend catching the Short Treks on CBS. Entertaining short stories, well worth your time.

It seems there are some mixed reviews out there for Discovery, but I've personally been really enjoying the series for the most part, even though I'm just 1 1/2 episodes away from finishing S2 right now. Sure, I admit there is some wonkiness to the series in both seasons, but I've mostly been able to overlook it to still enjoy the whole overall of the series for what they are doing with it. Like you, I've probably enjoyed S2 so far more than S1, but I'm not sure that it is because it is that much better of a season or story, but more-so likely just due to my love of Anson Mount as Captain Pike in S2. That dude in that role is mesmerizing. Talk about great acting. I never would have guessed he'd be so good either beings how my only exposure to the actor previously was his role in the disaster that was the Inhumans TV show, of which he played a mute character. I still to this day try to pretend like that series never existed.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Even though I started this thread and am now very into Star Trek, I'll be the first to admit I'm still somewhat a rookie when it comes to Star Trek. I'm one of those late bloomers who never watched Star Trek growing up until finally giving the Trek world a shot with Abram's sequel/reboot in 2009, and absolutely loved it. The score for that movie is one of my all-time favorites. Due to my vast, well-document on here nerd interests, I've still yet to have the time to go back and watch any of the old stuff (likely won't), but have watched and enjoyed everything new since that 2009 movie. Therefore, I'm definitely going to be one of "those" Trek fans on here, and I get it. Hopefully it adds a little new perspective to some of you long-time fans, and hopefully you long-time fans can teach me a thing or two as well. I can probably think of no greater likely difference between myself and you long-time fans in the fact that I absolutely loved Into Darkness, whereas I'm sure most of you tend to disagree with me. In fact, if I had to rate my love for the newer movies, mine go sequentially in order with Star Trek first, followed by Into Darkness, then followed by Beyond. I really enjoyed all of them though.

I bet you would like Star Trek Discovery. That show has a very cinematic production quality while also embracing the more traditional "Star Trek" plot devices.

My next recommendation would be that you try Deep Space 9, but that series can get sluggish at times.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

What we've seen so far from Picard does look amazing and I can't wait. Like you, I've also enjoyed the Short Treks as well, even though I've only watched the first round of them so far which take place between S1 and S2. I'll finish the rest after I finish S2 of Discovery. I also love how they've tied into Discover already 2 of those Short Treks and in a fairly big manner too. The Saru backstory one was my favorite, so I was really glad that was one of the two they decided to tie into. There is no doubt they have made them in a way you don't want to skip them.

Reactions: CloneIce

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I've seen nearly all episodes and movies and I loved Into Darkness. I don't get why many Trekkies criticize it . It would be in my top five of all 13 Trek movies.

If you did want to delve backwards having only seen the new stuff with no nostalgia here's the top stuff I'd suggest in order of accessibility, quality and relatability:
Star Trek First Contact (best tng movie)
Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan (best tos movie)
Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country
The Next Generation series
Deep Space Nine series

Most will agree both those series improve in season three.

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I've seen nearly all episodes and movies and I loved Into Darkness. I don't get why many Trekkies criticize it . It would be in my top five of all 13 Trek movies.

If you did want to delve backwards having only seen the new stuff with no nostalgia here's the top stuff I'd suggest in order of accessibility, quality and relatability:
Star Trek First Contact (best tng movie)
Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan (best tos movie)
Star Trek IV The Undiscovered Country
The Next Generation series
Deep Space Nine series

Most will agree both those series improve in season three.

There's been 13?

Damn

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There's been 13?

Damn

6 tos
4 tng
3 jj

With the new three being all good in my opinion it gets the whole batch clearly up over 50% in terms of hits and misses. Just imagine if trigger here were to watch Shatner directed Star Trek V, he might enjoy it as a comedy.

• Informative

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Thoughts on the possible Quentin Tarantino Star Trek movie???? Me, I'm not the biggest fan of the idea. For one, he has talked about not liking the new stuff and wanting to ignore it, but still using the same cast. I don't like this as a canon junkie. I also am a bit afraid we'd end up with more of a Tarantino film than a Star Trek one, as this seems to be all Quentin knows and wants to do, especially this far along in his career. Everything he has said so far only reinforces this sentiment in my mind, especially when he talks about throwing crap out. I'm not totally against him either, providing he'd stick to some type of continuity, rather than shredding it all to pieces, especially if it is our only chance of getting a new Star Trek fan. However, if he isn't our only option to actually getting a film made, I'd likely prefer other options more like the recently announced continuation of the Kelvin franchise movie that returns all the new cast.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I bet you would like Star Trek Discovery. That show has a very cinematic production quality while also embracing the more traditional "Star Trek" plot devices.

My next recommendation would be that you try Deep Space 9, but that series can get sluggish at times.

DS9 is my favorite series, followed by TNG which is also great. But I would recommend he watch TNG first. And he doesn’t need to watch all episodes, particularly in the first two seasons. I’d recommend watching the higher rated ones and most plot critical (and skip most of Season 1). By Season 3 it’s mostly very good with the occasional stinker to skip if you want to.

DS 9 starts stronger but is also slower at the beginning. I think it starts heating up later in Season 2 and then is just great from there in out.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-spoiler Review) I just finished Star Trek Discovery S2 and really liked how they finished that season out. Sure, there were a few glaring plot holes, but they filled most of them in well enough for me. Similar to what I stated above, I probably enjoyed this season more than S1, but I think it has less to do with how much better written or directed it is than S1, but rather how mesmerizing and great both Anson Mount as Captain Pike and Ethan Peck as Spock were. Both those guys were spectacular in their roles, especially Anson Mount. The dude couldn't have been more the embodiment of Captain Pike. I also really like the setup of S3 as we truly will be in some new fun territory with where this thing can go.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Has anyone here seen any episodes of Picard yet? If so, thoughts???? I'm waiting until the entire season is out to sign up for a month and bang it all out.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
So far the first four episodes have been very serial and for the most part a very slow burn. Binging is a good plan. The core premise seems to be Picard navigating the erosion of the Federation and Star Fleet ideals of betterment and equality.

The first four episodes have been spent laying the groundwork for the plot and Picard gathering his crew which is a little disappointing considering there are only going to be 10 episodes. I'm not convinced there will be a rewarding crew dynamic we've seen in past Star Trek so I hope there is a great payoff. The most interesting part so far is how the Federation differs from what we know from TNG. I have to think the differences are intentional and they didn't forget what Star Trek is like the new movies. I'd really recommend watching "Measure of a Man" and comparing with this series.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-spoiler) Did anyone else watch the final episode of Picard yesterday? I caught up on the series right before last night's episode and really enjoyed it. Overall, I thought the series was really pretty good. I like how it had a different pacing and was just different in general than what we got with Discovery. That isn't to say Discovery was bad, but if they are going to do a bunch of different Star Trek shows, I believe they really need to show some variety with each series. If I had to choose my favorite of Picard or Discovery, I'm going to say Picard just barely edges Discovery out.

I'll be interested to see what comes out next for Star Trek, especially with the inevitable delays due to this pandemic. While one might think Discovery S3, I read something yesterday that was guessing it might be the animated Below Deck series. I guess we'll see. Also, if anyone wants to binge Picard for free, Patrick Stewart tweeted out to use the code "GIFT" to get a free month of CBS All Access.

Reactions: 3GenClone

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I saw one other Fanatic say after Ep. 8 that Picard was taking a lot of notes from Battlestar Galactica. After episodes 9 and mid-way through Ep 10 I could only think "this is the premise of Mass Effect" (Mass Effect is a popular video game series if you weren't aware).

It was a pretty good series. I was 100% sure we were going to see John De Lancie make an appearance as Q. They could easily end Picard as a one-off series, which I think they should. My guess is we'll see a spin-off series with all the supporting characters. There is still more to Soji's story,
Did Dr Soong simply deactivate her gold-skinned sister (I forgot her name)? She could come back in a second season. Also Narek is back and with his sister dead (or is she?) does Soji take him back? What role does Oh and the Zhat Vash play going forward with their fleet of 200+ Warbirds?
and Rios is a pretty fun character that could be developed more in a S2.

I believe CBS All Access is either free for a limited time or has an extended free-trial due to Coronavirus, so if you are looking for a new series to watch I would recommend signing up so you can binge watch all of Picard and get caught up on Discovery.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Responding to your spoiler

I'd put good odds on Narissa surviving that fall somehow. Wouldnt be the first time she quick-transported out. If not, he's probably headed to the borg cube and would find her body, so that'd cause things to happen