Starter announced at Tailgate Tour

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
We're doomed! :jimlad:

Actually... he was not a very good kicker last year, hope he steps his game up!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
We're doomed! :jimlad:

Actually... he was not a very good kicker last year, hope he steps his game up!

I hope our offense as a whole is better so we don't have to rely on him to kick 40+ yard kicks so often. That will help him.

cy4u44

Nov 10, 2009
I hope our offense as a whole is better so we don't have to rely on him to kick 40+ yard kicks so often. That will help him.

Grant really had a poor year last fall, if he struggles early Zach Guyer deserves a shot.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey guys, speaking of the Tailgate Tour, I'm planning on heading to the stop in Dubuque today. I've never been to it before, so my question is, what should I expect? What are these events like? Thanks in advance!

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
I think he'll have a much better season if he isn't forced to kick such long kicks!

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Hey guys, speaking of the Tailgate Tour, I'm planning on heading to the stop in Dubuque today. I've never been to it before, so my question is, what should I expect? What are these events like? Thanks in advance!

I don't know what the lunch one's are like since CR is always a night stop but you can talk to the coaches that are there. Get autographs from any players and coaches that are there. There are inflatables and fun stuff for kids, raffles, you can sign up for season tickets (there actually is a pretty good deal that have at the tailgate tour stops only something like (two football season tickets, Cyclone club membership and G7 parking pass all for only $370 or something like that.) Other give aways and stuff from sponsors as well. There is also a program where they have the coaches come up and talk.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don't know what the lunch one's are like since CR is always a night stop but you can talk to the coaches that are there. Get autographs from any players and coaches that are there. There are inflatables and fun stuff for kids, raffles, you can sign up for season tickets (there actually is a pretty good deal that have at the tailgate tour stops only something like (two football season tickets, Cyclone club membership and G7 parking pass all for only $370 or something like that.) Other give aways and stuff from sponsors as well. There is also a program where they have the coaches come up and talk.

Is there a cost for the tailgate tour?

(I know I could look it up, but I'm lazy.)

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I heard that too. It was a good night!

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I highly doubt his streakiness will end. Still remember one game, he misses shorter kicks but then boots a 50+ yard through. Thats the stuff a Junior kicker shouldn't be doing. Wish him the best of luck this year, but count me as one who believes he will still be hot and cold with his kicks.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
He's actually pretty bad on regular length kicks.

He only got 6 attempts from inside 40 all season in 2010 (made 4). There was a stretch of 6 straight games where EVERY KICK was from 45+.

11 of his 17 overall attempts were from 40+.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Here are his misses in games where he MADE a 50-yarder: 57, 41, 49, 49, 55.

Not exactly chip shots.

Well excuse me for not exactly remembering the lengths of the kicks. He is still a very streaky kicker nonetheless, unless you can somehow debate that.

St8Fan

Oct 30, 2006
West Des Moines
I highly doubt his streakiness will end. Still remember one game, he misses shorter kicks but then boots a 50+ yard through. Thats the stuff a Junior kicker shouldn't be doing. Wish him the best of luck this year, but count me as one who believes he will still be hot and cold with his kicks.

Don't forget we had a new deep snapper and a new holder last year. It makes a difference. He was solid his freshman and sophomore years (with a few wobbles), but his poor showing last year was unexpected, at least to me.

St8Fan

Oct 30, 2006
West Des Moines
Well excuse me for not exactly remembering the lengths of the kicks. He is still a very streaky kicker nonetheless, unless you can somehow debate that.

I disagree with his being streaky. He has a great leg and there are variables every kick that may or may not be in his control...the snap, the hold, the wind. All of these are made even more volatile with kicks of length.

I think he is a very good kicker compared to those we had in the past, with Shaggy we didn't even try outside 45 and usually not much over 40 and he still didn't have a great percentage. Loved him because he was the best we had.

I don't see what ripping on a kid who is on our team will accomplish?