State going to GMail this semester?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Yes, the transition to GMail is being made this semester. There's no set timetable, but they hope to have it implemented before Spring Break arrives.

About damn time, I say.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yes, the transition to GMail is being made this semester. There's no set timetable, but they hope to have it implemented before Spring Break arrives.

About damn time, I say.

I stand corrected. Sweet! I hate WebMail. I have yet to figure out why they don't just ask if you already have an e-mail address when you show up on campus and just give them that to put into a database. :confused:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
They're getting rid of webmail? :eek:

Needs to be done but switching to gmail is different...

danrog

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle
good move, IMO.

On another note, I graduated in May of 08, does anyone know how long I will have access to webmail? I thought it lasted through the next semester but I still have access. Not much traffic through it anymore, but it is always handy having a .edu address

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
ISU is doing Gmail.

I'm sorry guys, but I am getting to the point where I am uncomfortable with the level of information that the Google people have. The non-expiring cookie, e-mail your history of queries and pages visited it creeps me out. I have Gmail as one of many e-mail accounts but I really think this is getting to the point where all of the eggs are in one basket, and it's ripe for abuse.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
ISU is doing Gmail.

I'm sorry guys, but I am getting to the point where I am uncomfortable with the level of information that the Google people have. The non-expiring cookie, e-mail your history of queries and pages visited it creeps me out. I have Gmail as one of many e-mail accounts but I really think this is getting to the point where all of the eggs are in one basket, and it's ripe for abuse.

Correct.

Would you like to partner in starting a new company?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I stand corrected. Sweet! I hate WebMail. I have yet to figure out why they don't just ask if you already have an e-mail address when you show up on campus and just give them that to put into a database. :confused:

Unless they changed something they've had POP3 access and they even give you a free version of Eudora if you don't like using Outlook. Only time I ever use a webmail client is when I'm not on a PC I own and have POP3 setup on.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Yeah someone brought up a good point... Google is getting a bit data hungry...

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
good move, IMO.

On another note, I graduated in May of 08, does anyone know how long I will have access to webmail? I thought it lasted through the next semester but I still have access. Not much traffic through it anymore, but it is always handy having a .edu address

You'll lose it in spring semester 09, according to the ISU IT site FAQ: I’m currently a student. What will happen to my email account when I leave Iowa State? : IT

If you're an Alumni Association member you can get free forwarding CySpace - Community Home (with some restrictions)

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

About damn time, I say.

This change is for students only, I think. Inside Iowa State