Stevo Klotz placed under scholarship

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I know it has probably been answered, but are ALL of the suspected FB players involved with gambling still on full scholarship? Especially the ones who are not practicing with the team (all of them are not?) or who are not enrolled in fall semester?

For example, I thought I heard that Dekkers was out of town, not planning on playing (not that he would be allowed, etc.), concentrating on his defense against the gambling charges, according to a statement? Is there an open scholarship right there because of it?

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I know it has probably been answered, but are ALL of the suspected FB players involved with gambling still on full scholarship? Especially the ones who are not practicing with the team (all of them are not?) or who are not enrolled in fall semester?

For example, I thought I heard that Dekkers was out of town, not planning on playing (not that he would be allowed, etc.), concentrating on his defense against the gambling charges, according to a statement? Is there an open scholarship right there because of it?
There is no partial scholarship for football.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

There is no partial scholarship for football.
OK. Then, 1) will Dekkers (and any others that might be off the team) be on or off scholarship this upcoming school year?

And, 2) If any of them decide not to enroll, theoretically wouldn't that free up a scholarship? Then we could reward some of these non-scholarship players like Klotz and Nikkel?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
OK. Then, 1) will Dekkers (and any others that might be off the team) be on or off scholarship this upcoming school year?

And, 2) If any of them decide not to enroll, theoretically wouldn't that free up a scholarship? Then we could reward some of these non-scholarship players like Klotz and Nikkel?

For sure Lee and Sauser are gone. Supposedly Dekkers is too but that hasn’t been confirmed. The big questions are Brock and Hanika. Remsburg will be back.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I was under the impression that betting on your own games was an automatic lifetime ban from FBS and FCS. Is 5hat not correct?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
For sure Lee and Sauser are gone. Supposedly Dekkers is too but that hasn’t been confirmed. The big questions are Brock and Hanika. Remsburg will be back.
So let's say the Lee, Sauser, and Dekkers are gone for sure, from the team. If these 3 chose to continue classes at ISU, are they still on full scholarship, or not? That is my question.

I don't pretend to know, but I would assume they are off scholarship if they are not enrolled in classes. Could ISU still be obligated to keep them on scholarship if they are off the team but enrolled in classes?

Just curious as to how it all works, the obligations, etc., to a scholarship. We just had two non-scholarship players receive full scholarship. Is that just coincidence?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
So let's say the Lee, Sauser, and Dekkers are gone for sure, from the team. If these 3 chose to continue classes at ISU, are they still on full scholarship, or not? That is my question.

I don't pretend to know, but I would assume they are off scholarship if they are not enrolled in classes. Could ISU still be obligated to keep them on scholarship if they are off the team but enrolled in classes?

Just curious as to how it all works, the obligations, etc., to a scholarship. We just had two non-scholarship players receive full scholarship. Is that just coincidence?

That's a good question. I would assume that those guys might try to transfer down to NAIA to get out of the NCAA punishment. But also, guys like Lee and Hanika have probably already graduated I'm guessing, so they really wouldn't need to stick around if there's no FB. We've seen Campbell say that he wasn't going to abandon those players, so I would think that if they wanted to stick around, they'd probably keep their scholarship through the fall semester.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I believe in most cases where a player leaves the team, but remains in school (eg - because of injury) they retain their scholarship but it does not count against the team limit. Not sure if a 'for cause' dismissal like these would be different or not.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
That's a good question. I would assume that those guys might try to transfer down to NAIA to get out of the NCAA punishment. But also, guys like Lee and Hanika have probably already graduated I'm guessing, so they really wouldn't need to stick around if there's no FB. We've seen Campbell say that he wasn't going to abandon those players, so I would think that if they wanted to stick around, they'd probably keep their scholarship through the fall semester.

I believe in most cases where a player leaves the team, but remains in school (eg - because of injury) they retain their scholarship but it does not count against the team limit. Not sure if a 'for cause' dismissal like these would be different or not.
Thanks for your answers! I guess we as fans don't need a detailed answer right now. We don't even have the exact penalty on the players yet; although that needs to change soon I would think as FB season is almost here.

I would like an answer to the scholarship question, at some point, by someone in the know. Does ISU still allow scholarships to these players by obligation? or voluntarily? If still on scholarship, do they count against the team limit? Does some of what is happening now allow some non-scholarship players to receive a scholarship at last?
@brentblum