STORY: Free throws, clutch play lift Iowa State to second win over AP top 10 team

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
Neither Iowa State nor Kansas State led by more than three points for the final 19 minutes Wednesday at Hilton Coliseum.

The Cyclones hit free throws down the stretch, didn't turn the ball over, and came out with their second win over an AP top 10 team.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Neither Iowa State nor Kansas State led by more than three points for the final 19 minutes Wednesday at Hilton Coliseum.

The Cyclones hit free throws down the stretch, didn't turn the ball over, and came out with their second win over an AP top 10 team.

All the freshmen, especially Audi, are playing beyond my expectations. Refreshing to watch them contribute to the program. Great job.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I woke up this morning thinking about how incredibly difficult what Emily Ryan did is. She had probably the worst shooting night from the floor of her career but she didn't let it affect the rest of her game dishing out a dozen dimes. But even more incredibly she didn't let her frustration from the field - where she couldn't even seem to get layups to fall - affect her stroke from the line going 10 for 10 including several absolutely clutch points when ISU had to have them.

She is a winner!

Also glad to see what Bill said about Nellie. She is in a tough spot and always handles it with class, never complaining about playing time but instead supporting and mentoring the star freshman. She is always ready to contribute when she comes in. What a great team player!

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Poor ESPN almost had to mention ISU in their quick recap article.
In the initial draft, the first paragraph looked like this:

Kansas State star center Ayoka Lee returned to the court Wednesday in the No. 7 Wildcats' 96-93 double-overtime loss at Iowa State after missing the past month because of an ankle injury. You may recall that Iowa State plays in the same state as phenom Caitlin Clark. Ayoka Lee, Caitlin Clark, Ayoka Lee, Caitlin Clark. Ayoka Lee, Caitlin Clark.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This is the KSU fan that was yelling during free throws. He was near the tunnel for the ISU locker room.

After a few, I started keeping score and calling it out after we made them. He had a tough night and finished 0 for 12 by my count!

IMG_6378.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
We don't do that 'Lady <mascot name>' thing like the southern teams do. Our women are Cyclones just like the men. Let's not diminutize them.

Or maybe you meant to say 'lady Cyclones'?

Not trying to be a jerk, just informational.
Actually many folks call our ladies team the Twister Sisters.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
This is the KSU fan that was yelling during free throws. He was near the tunnel for the ISU locker room.

After a few, I started keeping score and calling it out after we made them. He had a tough night and finished 0 for 12 by my count!

View attachment 124021
I enjoyed listening to his efforts. Especially since our players didn't miss a single one.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

View attachment 124021
Thanks for confirming that. I assumed that posters were correct that the free-throw harasser was a KSU fan, but now it is certain.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We don't do that 'Lady <mascot name>' thing like the southern teams do. Our women are Cyclones just like the men. Let's not diminutize them.

Or maybe you meant to say 'lady Cyclones'?

Not trying to be a jerk, just informational.
I think we should use 'Cyclonitas' for all sports.

Reactions: wbbnut

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

View attachment 124021
I wondered if that was him. Poor kid with him.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Actually many folks call our ladies team the Twister Sisters.
Yeah, I never said that we shouldn't use nicknames for the team. I just am not a fan of a diminutive form of Cyclones. It is just too easy to characterize them as something just a little bit less than "real" Cyclones.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wondered if that was him. Poor kid with him.

The KSU guy was super-relaxed about it. People were telling him that it wasn't cool, but he just chatted calmly and then kept doing it. At one point, he even shouted, "This is the last time I'll do it." I think his kid has seen it before. It was fun shouting back "0 for 4," "0 for 5," up to "0 for 10" (I know there were more, but I only heard him 10 times).

After the game, he had some wet spots on his back like someone threw something at him. And I saw some Iowa State fans come up to him and seemed to be apologizing to him for how he was treated. Now that is Iowa Nice!

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
The KSU guy was super-relaxed about it. People were telling him that it wasn't cool, but he just chatted calmly and then kept doing it. At one point, he even shouted, "This is the last time I'll do it." I think his kid has seen it before. It was fun shouting back "0 for 4," "0 for 5," up to "0 for 10" (I know there were more, but I only heard him 10 times).

After the game, he had some wet spots on his back like someone threw something at him. And I saw some Iowa State fans come up to him and seemed to be apologizing to him for how he was treated. Now that is Iowa Nice!
There was an older guy sitting a few rows behind him who seemed to be having a real fit over it. Some people just need to chill out.

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
There was an older guy sitting a few rows behind him who seemed to be having a real fit over it. Some people just need to chill out.

During the tense game, I would have had some inner stress too but likely would have allowed the guy his "I paid for my ticket, and yelling at free throwers is standard fare." To start it was a contested women's basketball game with us battling the #7 team and the return of their star Lee through 2OTs.

There could be more to this story, though not much more. I could say we handled the guy relatively well looking at the topical history of KSU-ISU. I think the recent back storyline started with our destroying KSU in a November football snowstorm, Tang's flunking the integrity test, and the T that wasn't called when the late-in-the-game ball kick occurred.

It was a tense game with the Iowa State squad under stress after recent losses and #7 KSU featuring the return of their star Lee. In 2OTs we finally prevailed as some rando yelled inconguities to disrupt our players' free throws, which in the end decided the game.

It was great people apologized that he was ridiculed to his face. However, I would not tell him to quit his antics nor apologize to him for what was done in response to his acts.

Last edited: