Strange Picture

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
At the risk of bringing up the logo topic again, I'd like that cyclone logo on the helmets without the words "Iowa State" It's simple, yet being the "Cyclones" in D1 sports it would be easily recognizable.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
redrocker, if you are looking for a program from that era, I will give you one.

Thanks, I was just looking through Iowa State Stuff on ebay. Not looking for a program. I am a geek for historical pictures, especially of campus buildings and the Ames area. I am not in the market to buy an old program, but thank you very much for the offer.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
At the risk of bringing up the logo topic again, I'd like that cyclone logo on the helmets without the words "Iowa State" It's simple, yet being the "Cyclones" in D1 sports it would be easily recognizable.

That was my vote for the new helmets...would have been sweet. Kind of sucks we have such a cool nickname but now our helmets will have not make use of it. Oh well...

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
for freaks sake, no wonder this program has had logo and color identity issues even up until the changes made for next year! ISU couldn't even have a team with all having the same colored helmets. Does the NBA still have players in the All-Star game wear jerseys of their respective teams during the game?

I think we were one step away from asking the NCAA if we could play with a red, white and blue football !! This probably only makes sense to someone who watched the ABA.

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Criner should have given the red helmets to the bad players to really foul up the opposition.
I think I have to stand up for Criner a little bit

I'm sure he came it with great fanfair. Most coaches do. My biggest problem with Criner is he tryed to pay for recruits (just like EVERYONE else), but we still couldn't win.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
Jim Criner started that u got a red helmet for exta good play.. If I remember right not to many reds on game day... Criner actually destroyed the football program single handed

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
redrocker, if you are looking for a program from that era, I will give you one. About the helmets, it wasn't week to week, I think once you had the red helmet you kept it the rest of the year. I have tons of slides from those days so I will try to scan some and get them posted, but I think there were multiple guys having the red helmets at the same time. Steve, isn't that the way you remember it?? Also, like you, I heard the players didn't like it.

do you have pictures of the uniforms from 81-86? I am working on a project and am trying to fill in some holes in my collection, but not sure what I am missing.

cycfan

Nov 8, 2006
#95 must have been one heck of a loser if he was the only guy on the defense wearing a yellow helmet.

I was a student during the 2 color helmet days and it seems that there were actually only a few red helmets given out. I would say maybe only 6 or so on the whole team. It was a reward for the whole year's performance, so I think the first one didn't show up until game 6 or something like that. I'm just pulling these numbers from the air, but am pretty sure there were not a lot of the red. What strikes me about the photo is the size of the players. #51 at the left in the red helmet was our stud linebacker (I want to say Brackins, but it sounds right only because of bb) anyway, look how small he is. And, look how skinny the 90s numbered guys are.
Anybody remember the linebackers name? It is on the tip of my tongue and it's driving me crazy.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Ames

Sep 5, 2006
I am a geek for historical pictures, especially of campus buildings and the Ames area. I am not in the market to buy an old program, but thank you very much for the offer.

Same here. You should scan some stuff in so we can see it.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
Same here. You should scan some stuff in so we can see it.

I plan on it. I want to head out and get some after pictures of some areas, showing the then and now. Believe it or not, Ebay is a great place to get old photos from around town. I just save them on my computer. Although you can do alot of searching everywhere else.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I was a student during the 2 color helmet days and it seems that there were actually only a few red helmets given out. I would say maybe only 6 or so on the whole team. It was a reward for the whole year's performance, so I think the first one didn't show up until game 6 or something like that. I'm just pulling these numbers from the air, but am pretty sure there were not a lot of the red. What strikes me about the photo is the size of the players. #51 at the left in the red helmet was our stud linebacker (I want to say Brackins, but it sounds right only because of bb) anyway, look how small he is. And, look how skinny the 90s numbered guys are.
Anybody remember the linebackers name? It is on the tip of my tongue and it's driving me crazy.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Are you thinking of Jeff Braswell? I don't know if that is him but he was definately a stud linebacker in the 80s.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
hows it different than putting "Buckeyes" on your helmet.

It was dumb, but at least it didn't look like a sphincter.

buckeye_leaves.jpg

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
isu_helmets_500.jpg

Identifiable players...
59 - Randy Richards
51 - Jeff Braswell
90 - Greg Liter
48 - Jim Luebbers
95 - Bill Berthusen
23 (?) - Kevin Williams (next to Luebbers)
45 (?) - Lester Williams (next to Berthusen)
57 - Dennis Gibson

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
That was the coolest thing ever. I remeber when I was younger I thought it was cool because I did not know a lot of our players names. Then Coach Criner broke out the different colored helmets. Now was it a smart idea. NO. Was it fun for a young kid. Hell Yes.