Streaming

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Hulu live also has ESPN and the Disney + package for not much more than what you’re paying for with just their live which is a giant plus if you have kids and love ISU basketball.
Do you recall/know if it’s this version with or without adds? After spending about 2 hours this afternoon researching options and comparing costs amongst Hulu, YoutubTV, Philo and a bear bones version I can get from my current cable provider Spectrum; my mind is mush and need to revert back to my notes.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Do you recall/know if it’s this version with or without adds? After spending about 2 hours this afternoon researching options and comparing costs amongst Hulu, YoutubTV, Philo and a bear bones version I can get from my current cable provider Spectrum; my mind is mush and need to revert back to my notes.
You can have either package(with or without ads). It’s $8 a month more for ad free. We don’t have ad free because we don’t watch hardly anything that’s not live and most recorded stuff we can still fast forward through the commercials.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
YouTube TV has quad box, if you like sports it’s a must have

I’ve yet had a situation that they’ve had a quad box that had all the channels that I wanted to watch. They seem to refuse to combine Fox and ESPN games on the same box. Also, any time a game has an alternate channel, they often seem to put that in the quad box rather than the main channel.

So until they let you choose your channels, the feature is just a gimmick and not useful to me.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I've used YTTV, Hulu and Fubo over the last 5 years.

Typically, use FUBO during baseball season because the other 2 don't have Marquee Network as a streaming option. With Fubo it is part of their $15/mo regional sports channel addin.

But Fubo doesn't have Turner Networks, so can't get all March Madness games.

I thought this might be my last go-round with Fubo when I switched back to YTTV this fall after having Hulu last winter. But after last couple months, not so sure. IMO YTTV navigation isn't as good as Fubo. And a lot of the FREE on-demand content that YTTV used to have is now paid subscriptions or rental content.

Since all are easily cancellable and content is about 85% the same across the 3 platforms. Give one a try and don't be afraid after a couple months to switch to another to see which one you prefer.

Hulu is great if you have ESPN+. You can watch ESPN+ within the Hulu App. Disney owns Hulu.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I’ve yet had a situation that they’ve had a quad box that had all the channels that I wanted to watch. They seem to refuse to combine Fox and ESPN games on the same box. Also, any time a game has an alternate channel, they often seem to put that in the quad box rather than the main channel.

So until they let you choose your channels, the feature is just a gimmick and not useful to me.
Good to know a person can't design your own 4 game view. I was getting frustrated trying to create one for hoops games over Thanksgiving weekend.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I have Verizon and it Disney/espn/hulu comes bundled for no extra cost. I have YTTV as my main sports watching, but using Verizon freebie saves me a bunch.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Well, I’ve also added a NextGen TV box with the expectation of considering an OTA option in addition to a few isolated apps.

However the consistency of the OTA is crappy at best. I need to spend some time researching if it’s the result of my antenna or delivery box…?
I think we are YEARS away from Next Gen being the standard. FCC is going to push back when ATSC 1.0 is supposed to be gone. So things will be the same past 2027 at least.
The best way to use OTA is by having an outside antenna. I live close to Omaha but with a simple antenna outside, I get all Omaha, Lincoln, and some Grand Island. Now a lot of channels overlap but total stations is close to 80. I don't have any device to record live TV setup but that is an option.
You also still need an antenna that picks up VHF and UHF signals and those signals are very directional so if there are towers in multiple directions from you, reception can be tricky.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
YTTV for many of the reasons already mentioned. User interface. Ease of use. Channel offerings. We’ve had it since it came out and have gotten 10+ family members to switch to it and they all love it.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
YouTube TV and ESPN+ add-on for your smart TV will currently et you every Cyclone game except the last ones that will be on Longhorn TV.

What's more, they both will allow you to watch at your leisure.

We have programmed our YouTube TV to tape every Cyclone event. Nice to be able to fast forward through the commercials.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Was a long time Spectrum customer in KC until they finally got too expensive. Dumped them and now use Google Fiber and Hulu with the Disney/ESPN add ons. I'm happy with it and have not had issues. I like that it carries local channels too.

To be fair, I can't speak about YTTV. Hulu had the channels we wanted and the price was a big upgrade, so I was GTG.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I use DirecTV Stream. When HuluLive and YouTube TV dropped what was then the regional FSN's, DirecTV Stream was the only streaming service to offer the channels (I'm a Royals fan and MLB is my nightly reality show).

Yes DirecTV Stream costs more than say YouTube TV, but the latter doesn't carry say Newsmax and Cooking Channel which I both like.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I have a very broad question for you out there w experience in cutting the cord. Is there an obvious choice between YouTube TV, Hulu or Philo?

Side note: my independent subscriptions for ESPN+ ($110 annually) and Disney+ ($140 annually both expire/auto renew within 2 weeks of each other Dec 27 & Jan 11.

I obviously thought a bundle of those 2 with Hulu would be the way to go; however it appears that is still really pricey. I was thinking of keeping those two independent and going w YouTube tv due to the channels that are desired and overall cost.

Channels or family of channels of interest are Nick Jr, Fox sports family, ESPN family and we have a few others.

Many, many thanks in advance!!!

It was so much easier to watch tv when my father asked me to change the channel and I would stand up and rotate the dial to the next channel…..
Youtube TV and espn+ only for football and basketball season and Prime. I cancel youtube tv May through most of August I I justify that pays for Prime and use the free ROKU channels. Everything else is on the web any way. (local news weather and 1000s of reruns and b movies for the 0 to 3 hours a day we watch TV).

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Was a long time Spectrum customer in KC until they finally got too expensive. Dumped them and now use Google Fiber and Hulu with the Disney/ESPN add ons. I'm happy with it and have not had issues. I like that it carries local channels too.

To be fair, I can't speak about YTTV. Hulu had the channels we wanted and the price was a big upgrade, so I was GTG.
Same here. I also like on Hulu that the channel guide defaults to the smaller grouping of most recently viewed channels, so if you're flipping between 2 or 3 things you don't have to navigate the entire guide to get from one to the other, makes it a lot quicker. It's also nice since there are a handful of channels that we watch way more than most others, so they're all right there.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Oh I know what IPTV is but the way you wrote it, it sounded like you were naming a brand called IPTV. So what IPTV provider do you use?
I use Napster and Limewire for all my music. Totally free and no one cares.

Oh sh**, I'm in the wrong decade. Back to 2003 with me.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008

They're already beta testing letting you choose channels. I have 2 buddies who randomly lucked out on that. I'd imagine it will be available to all next football season.